IOM COURTS SENTENCING

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

This is what confused me.  If she only stopped for petrol and paid by credit card then the EVF people would never have interacted with her, never mind known all the details of her travel history.  Technically she would have been breaking the rules (though Guernsey for example explicitly say buying petrol this way doesn't) but I would imagine the police would have not that fussed. There's clearly something else that happened here.

Yeah. She broke the fucking rules. End of.

• Like 4
  • Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twenty years ago when the schools became devolved and management of the school budgets lay with the head teachers is when things began to change. The money was and is in exam enrolment.  When the

That was a big McSteak.

Sigh. Why is it that we have to wait for a major incident (jail, controversy on the world wide stage) before someone realises that perhaps expecting workers to come from the U.K. to a different j

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Am I missing something?  Where does it say she came over with her car rather than as a foot passenger who got to her car and found it low on petrol?

No point trying to excuse her. The court has the real evidence and acted accordingly. Well done IOM

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Am I missing something?  Where does it say she came over with her car rather than as a foot passenger who got to her car and found it low on petrol?

Why would that be any different . She took the piss and paid the price.

15 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

No point trying to excuse her. The court has the real evidence and acted accordingly. Well done IOM

Not trying to excuse at all,  just that everyone is saying she should have filled up in Heysham.  FWIW, whilst I may not agree with various measures, I will and do comply, and expect others to do the same.

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not trying to excuse at all,  just that everyone is saying she should have filled up in Heysham.  FWIW, whilst I may not agree with various measures, I will and do comply, and expect others to do the same.

She chose to break the law. End of. 

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I imagine if she had been polite and thoughtful she would neither have been a danger to others nor been convicted.  If I'd have found myself in that situation, needing to fill up, I'm sure that by wearing a mask, keeping your distance, explaining the situation to the staff, offering to wipe down the pump, paying contactless etc then it'd be fine, despite being against the law if applied to the letter. If instead I swaggered over, coughing and bragging that I'd just got back from coronaland on the boat then perhaps 4 weeks is lenient?

• Like 2

It does feel like they’re sending people to prison for being stupid. So if purpose of the sentencing is to deter others, well,  is it possible to deter stupidity?

They are surely just trying to make a point that it's not going to be tolerated, no matter what the circumstances. 

A bit like Matt Wank Sock today saying he's not ruled out locking uni students down over Christmas if necessary. Is that not just a veiled threat - don't comply and we'll have you kept in halls over the holidays?

37 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I imagine if she had been polite and thoughtful she would neither have been a danger to others nor been convicted.  If I'd have found myself in that situation, needing to fill up, I'm sure that by wearing a mask, keeping your distance, explaining the situation to the staff, offering to wipe down the pump, paying contactless etc then it'd be fine, despite being against the law if applied to the letter. If instead I swaggered over, coughing and bragging that I'd just got back from coronaland on the boat then perhaps 4 weeks is lenient?

There's a bit more explanation in the BBC piece.  She had actually arrived on the early morning boat and had had to ask the filling station to open up for her.  Apparently she thought that they would be more likely to do so if she told them she was just arrived from the land of Covid.