IOM COURTS SENTENCING

51 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Whatever...

Instead of point scoring you might want to address the rest of my post. I do realise being told you are part of the problem must smart a bit but at the very least you could chose to debate it.

I'll address the rest of your post:

So you, Barlow, and those like you, by your opinions are ensuring that these young men and woman stay exactly in the place that they stand. You are ensuring that there’s no escape for them, no hope. You are ensuring that they will carry on just as they ever did because what’s the point in doing anything else? You are also part of the problem. 

What is it that I am ensuring. You've gone off on one there haven't you?

"Ensuring they stay exactly in the same place?" - rubbish

"Ensuring there is no escape for them, no hope?" - rubbish

"Ensuring that they will carry on just as they ever did..etc" - rubbish

I'm ensuring nothing.

Hysterical much?

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twenty years ago when the schools became devolved and management of the school budgets lay with the head teachers is when things began to change. The money was and is in exam enrolment.  When the

That was a big McSteak.

Sigh. Why is it that we have to wait for a major incident (jail, controversy on the world wide stage) before someone realises that perhaps expecting workers to come from the U.K. to a different j

Posted Images

2 hours ago, paswt said:

Maybe, but wondering where a kid I know whose dad died when he was 15/16 and when he was 16/17 his mum left home and went abroad went wrong .

He had no immediate family living in the area so he got a labouring  job , lived in a bedsit , worked hard ,didn't  steal or nick cars , led a frugal lifestyle

and from those humble beginnings finished up a millionaire .

This individual was once on the wrong end of a rant from a young man who told him that he , as a wealthy man, had no idea how hard it was for someone coming from a one parent family , living in a 'copy house' to get on in the world . The response was interesting😉.

Just saying:flowers:

54 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Just because one person did very well every other person who's lived a similar but different life is no longer deserving of compassion?

Come on now...

Come on now ,I have not put words in your mouth and I'd be obliged if you afforded me the same courtesy

I was just pointing out that different people make different choices in life .

Would your "compassion" go as far as to offer a room to a habitual criminal on release?

I accept that people can change , in London a near neighbour ( who had refused to attend school) ended up as a thief , apart from that a nice guy .

I remember saying that he'd have to give up the stealing as he always seemed to get caught and his response was " It's my job , I can't do anything else".

Long story short I asked a mate to give him a job on a building site as the companies  H&S  man . It turned out he had a gift for languages and an engaging personality and could get on with and understood by East Europeans and others .

He's now totally 'Kosher' and I do wonder if his talent for language had been discovered  at school how different his life could have turned out .

That said not every criminal  wants to change their lifestyle  and I don't have the answer to how to convince a habitual criminal to change but the public IMO have a  right to be protected .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

One of the issues the island has is addiction to drugs/alcohol and limited mental health provisions.

There is a growing addiction problem in young people but the Government provides no dedicated young person addiction service and it’s left to charities like Motiv8 to provide this service.

if we put more money into mental health including addiction service then we may see less young offenders going into worse crimes. We spend many £m on grandiose schemes like promenade, railways etc but minimal sums on things which would make a real difference to the quality of life to some unfortunate in society.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, paswt said:

Would your "compassion" go as far as to offer a room to a habitual criminal on release?

That's a lazy trope of an argument as well.

It's a ridiculous argument when we're talking about society offering rehabilitation and the ability for people to change

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

That's a lazy trope of an argument as well.

It's a ridiculous argument when we're talking about society offering rehabilitation and the ability for people to change

"  as well" as what ?

I'll take that as a"No" then FWIW I wouldn't offer a habitual criminal a room on release either.

"Nothing is impossible for the person who does not have to do it themself😄 ". 

Edited by paswt
  • Confused 1
13 minutes ago, paswt said:

"  as well" as what ?

I'll take that as a"No" then FWIW I wouldn't offer a habitual criminal a room on release either.

"Nothing is impossible for the person who does not have to do it themself😄 ". 

as well as the previous lazy trope about the rags to riches story

thought you were making big noise about not putting words into peoples mouths earlier as well?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Not challenging you Banker butI thought Motiv8 was government funded, I stand ready to be corrected .

I think they withdrew support some time ago, didn't Stu Peters make some noise about it as his friend Shelly ran it?

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Not challenging you Banker butI thought Motiv8 was government funded, I stand ready to be corrected .

They receive a grant to provide some contracted services, the grant doesn’t cover the cost of services surprisingly!!

The young persons & family addiction services are provided from charitable donations from Lottery, Nobles health care trust etc

• Like 1
Just now, Banker said:

They receive a grant to provide some contracted services, the grant doesn’t cover the cost of services surprisingly!!

The young persons & family addiction services are provided from charitable donations from Lottery, Nobles health care trust etc

The gambling service is again funded from charitable donations as Government won’t fund despite the money made from gambling on island 

11 hours ago, hissingsid said:

That was Dash and then they gave the reason that  they were not helping them with finances anymore because they already had Motiv8 which was doing something similar that is why I was under the impression it was Government run or funded.

DASH (Drug Advice Service & Helpline) was a charity that concentrated solely on drug misuse and promoting harm reduction. There was a second charitable organisation which solely concentrated on alcohol. I can't remember their name but the acronym was something along the lines of ASH.

IIRC, the alcohol organisation added drugs to their remit and morphed into Motiv8 when that year's government grants were due to be awarded. DASH lost out and had to fold as they could no longer compete in the quest for private charitable donations. The government grant was always their main source of funds and it was already being run on a shoestring.

I worked for DASH for a while in the early 2000s. We usually helped the people who fell between the cracks of DAT (gov't Drug and Alcohol Team) and (gov't) mental health. The mental health service didn't want to deal with people with drug problems, and DAT seemed to only want to deal with heroin addicts. We got the pot heads, coke heads, and designer drug heads.

I no longer worked for them when they were defunded, although I followed the story at the time and felt it was a terrible loss for the island.

• Like 5