IOM COURTS SENTENCING

2 hours ago, Banker said:

The gambling service is again funded from charitable donations as Government won’t fund despite the money made from gambling on island 

Didn't the gambling industries on the Island have to make some sort of donation towards this?  I seem to remember that one of the reasons that Motiv8 (which used to be the Alcohol Advisory Service) became the preferred people for Government support was that they agreed to deal with all sorts of addicts and this meant that the money from the gaming industry could be directed towards them and so any government grants reduced.  I'm not not sure that still applies, though.  The financing of these organisations is a bit murky. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twenty years ago when the schools became devolved and management of the school budgets lay with the head teachers is when things began to change. The money was and is in exam enrolment.  When the

That was a big McSteak.

Sigh. Why is it that we have to wait for a major incident (jail, controversy on the world wide stage) before someone realises that perhaps expecting workers to come from the U.K. to a different j

Posted Images

Follow the money. And with the gambling industry money begets money.

Chuck a few sprats at the helpless addicts and they'll be plenty of mackerel along soon.

There's just something so heavily ironic about the sweet fluffy gambling industry making charitable donations.

Fucking greedy sharks dressed in lambs clothing

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Didn't the gambling industries on the Island have to make some sort of donation towards this?  I seem to remember that one of the reasons that Motiv8 (which used to be the Alcohol Advisory Service) became the preferred people for Government support was that they agreed to deal with all sorts of addicts and this meant that the money from the gaming industry could be directed towards them and so any government grants reduced.  I'm not not sure that still applies, though.  The financing of these organisations is a bit murky. 

Yes, I think you're correct about gambling addiction also being added to their remit around the same time as they changed their name. I had a vague recollection of this when I posted earlier but didn't want to speculate erroneously.

And thanks for remembering the correct name - AAS. :flowers:

56 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

At one time there was a license fee paid annually which was then passed on to charities providing counseling for gaming addiction, however the Government in its wisdom scrapped the fee leaving a large black hole !

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

At one time there was a license fee paid annually which was then passed on to charities providing counseling for gaming addiction, however the Government in its wisdom scrapped the fee leaving a large black hole !

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

Bit of a difference in sentence, In Jersey it’s an £ 800 fine for getting food & going to pub , in IOM stop for a sandwich 4 weeks in jail!!

https://jerseyeveningpost.com

They aren't that soft

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/11/03/visitor-fined-59k-for-going-on-a-pub-crawl-instead-of-self-isolating/

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That’s was a blatant breach as they went on the piss. It’s not buying a bloody sandwich or filling up with petrol. And it was still only a fine not 4 weeks inside. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s was a blatant breach as they went on the piss. It’s not buying a bloody sandwich or filling up with petrol. And it was still only a fine not 4 weeks inside. 

But in Iran, they would have been beheaded, so 4 weeks free Sky and decent meals isn’t too bad.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Scotty said:

But in Iran, they would have been beheaded, so 4 weeks free Sky and decent meals isn’t too bad.

Where’s your citation to show that people get beheaded for covid breaches in Iran? It sounds very fanciful to be fair. Whereas we were discussing real facts and real sentencing between two islands. 

5 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

More good press........................

This really does not deserve a prison sentence, this is just getting very North Korea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-54784559

"found him sitting in close contact with his family and his girlfriend."

So that is a clear breach of the rules and admitted. What is the issue ?

Just now, Scotty said:

So that is a clear breach of the rules and admitted. What is the issue ?

I think the issue is 4 weeks in jail is OTT , we are the only civilized nation treating its citizens like this. No one else is , the CI issue fines.

Howie and his mates at the courts are out of control!