Jump to content

IOM COURTS SENTENCING


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twenty years ago when the schools became devolved and management of the school budgets lay with the head teachers is when things began to change. The money was and is in exam enrolment.  When the

That was a big McSteak.

Sigh. Why is it that we have to wait for a major incident (jail, controversy on the world wide stage) before someone realises that perhaps expecting workers to come from the U.K. to a different j

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Banker said:

The key word is risks if he doesn’t pay a £800 fine for going to the pub, here you would be jailed for getting petrol or a sandwich with no option of fine

How is that better? In Guernsey if you're well-off, you can avoid jail. If you're on a low income, off to jail you go. At least here it's one rule for all instead of one for the rich and another for the poor. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gladys Naturally I would think they are in hospital with covid. It is an open statement. He/she is just in there, that's it, whether they were admitted because of Covid or, as this patient, tested positive on admission, personally matters not. It only became an issue when two government announcements appear to contradict. Either way, in this particular case it would appear that this patient went into Nobles for something else and as a sensible precaution they were tested and came back positive and from the report I posted it was said that if they were still positive when they left the hospital, they would be required to self-isolate at home. What does that suggest other than confirming there is a patient IN hospital with Covid..? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zarley said:

How is that better? In Guernsey if you're well-off, you can avoid jail. If you're on a low income, off to jail you go. At least here it's one rule for all instead of one for the rich and another for the poor. 

I don’t think £800 fine is excessive for going to pub and affordable for most. I do think 4 weeks jail for an 18 year old in a mask for buying a sandwich is as do most people I speak to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gladys said:

It isn't semantics.  What do you think if someone says "he's in hospital with covid"?

I agree it isn’t semantics. Nobody has been “admitted” to hospital with covid. Even if they tested positive in hospital they were probably asymptomatic and went to hospital for something else before their status was found, and nobody appears to be “in hospital” with covid either. They likely tested positive and were sent home to self isolate as they are not ill with covid to the point that they need to be “in hospital”. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, quilp said:

The Sandwich or petrol aspect so used is merely a distraction to suit an agenda. As if to trivialise their actions. Those offenders were jailed for the potential risk they posed to others and wilfully ignoring the law whatever their covid status. 

I bought petrol, bread, cheese and ham the other day. Am I at risk of being jailed for "going equipped" to make a sandwich?

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Banker said:

I don’t think £800 fine is excessive for going to pub and affordable for most. I do think 4 weeks jail for an 18 year old in a mask for buying a sandwich is as do most people I speak to.

If you read the reports on the Guernsey and Jersey cases, they seem to be demanding immediate payment, which a lot of people couldn't manage - especially the sort of people we have been locking up who are often on benefits.  And a lot of the fines have been quite hefty with the alternative being a much longer jail sentence than we have seen here, where what has been imposed has usually been effectively making them do their isolation in Jurby because they can't be trusted to do it elsewhere.

In the Channel Islands, if it's obvious that someone's circumstances mean they can't pay these large fines, then imposing a jail sentence is what they are effectively doing.  All you seem to be demanding is a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card for the wealthy.

(For what it's worth the Doncaster lot went to Tesco to buy booze not food - which should have been provided.  You suspect they may have been influenced by a DoI culture that seems to believe that rules are for other people to follow).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I bought petrol, bread, cheese and ham the other day. Am I at risk of being jailed for "going equipped" to make a sandwich?

You should be if you are putting the petrol in it.  And TSOS will probably demand that you go to Liverpool to throw your Molotov Sarnie at a police car.

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I bought petrol, bread, cheese and ham the other day. Am I at risk of being jailed for "going equipped" to make a sandwich?

Lol, only if you forget the coleslaw...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard on the Mannin line that the 4 Jersey executives who broke the covid rules will not face charges, now that is clearly a two tier justice system, Yorkshire welders,get them jailed. Jersey executives let the dust settle and the plebs will not remember and we can let it be known that its not in the public interest to pursue this offence, the court's fucking stink.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Just heard on the Mannin line that the 4 Jersey executives who broke the covid rules will not face charges, now that is clearly a two tier justice system, Yorkshire welders,get them jailed. Jersey executives let the dust settle and the plebs will not remember and we can let it be known that its not in the public interest to pursue this offence, the court's fucking stink.

Which is exactly the point some of us are trying to make but difficult against the pitchfork brigade!!

However yet another sex offender gets a suspended sentence so we know where priorities lie!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Just heard on the Mannin line that the 4 Jersey executives who broke the covid rules will not face charges, now that is clearly a two tier justice system, Yorkshire welders,get them jailed. Jersey executives let the dust settle and the plebs will not remember and we can let it be known that its not in the public interest to pursue this offence, the court's fucking stink.

Does sound bad, but what was lacking in the old general rules that was changed after this event. Can’t find the old rules to compare. ?

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, quilp said:

@Gladys Naturally I would think they are in hospital with covid. It is an open statement. He/she is just in there, that's it, whether they were admitted because of Covid or, as this patient, tested positive on admission, personally matters not. It only became an issue when two government announcements appear to contradict. Either way, in this particular case it would appear that this patient went into Nobles for something else and as a sensible precaution they were tested and came back positive and from the report I posted it was said that if they were still positive when they left the hospital, they would be required to self-isolate at home. What does that suggest other than confirming there is a patient IN hospital with Covid..? 

But not in hospital because of covid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...