IOM COURTS SENTENCING

29 minutes ago, John Wright said:

As usual, there’s much more to this than meets the eye.

It won’t be a caution. He’s pleaded guilty. Caution not available. I’m sure it was a plea bargain. And as the only witness to support the prosecution of the 20 charges was dead, and couldn’t give evidence, they were possibly on a sticky wicket given his defence, as reported in the mitigation.

He resigned before he pleaded guilty.

No good blaming the AG, either. Because of his position, and the fact he had worked closely with AG prosecutions, an independent outside non government prosecuting advocate was employed, at arms length, to prosecute.

No idea why it’s not been covered in the press. 

I thought that you were only eligible for a caution, IF you DID plead guilty? Therefore he may have got a caution? Does an independent outside non government prosecuting advocate get employed every time a police officer gets to court? Might need one employed on a pretty regular basis. 

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twenty years ago when the schools became devolved and management of the school budgets lay with the head teachers is when things began to change. The money was and is in exam enrolment.  When the

That was a big McSteak.

Sigh. Why is it that we have to wait for a major incident (jail, controversy on the world wide stage) before someone realises that perhaps expecting workers to come from the U.K. to a different j

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, manxst said:

I thought that you were only eligible for a caution, IF you DID plead guilty? Therefore he may have got a caution? Does an independent outside non government prosecuting advocate get employed every time a police officer gets to court? Might need one employed on a pretty regular basis. 

To get a caution you have to admit guilt. But you aren’t charged. He’s been charged, gone to court, pleaded guilty. Courts don’t issue cautions.

From time to time people get charged, get to court, and some clever, poorly paid, duty advocate negotiates withdrawal of the charge and a caution disposal. But cautions are issued by the police and are administrative.

Not all police officer offences get outside prosecutors. Just ones with AG links or seniority.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Anyone said:

And cautions never go away. You have then for life no matter how trivial.

In a previous life I drove passed the Fire Station on Peel Road and saw a couple in the middle of the road with a dog wai5ing to cross. As I got very close to 5hem , the dog  ran out in front of me and was hit by my car. 
I stopped and asked how things were. The owners said, “ no problem” and the dog seemed OK. I had a weird feeling about it, so went to Police HQ and explained what happened as I thought that was was required. They took details etc. and that was it. 
That was untill I got a caution in the post. What the actual fuck was that about ? That is now on my file. Is that fair ?

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

In a previous life I drove passed the Fire Station on Peel Road and saw a couple in the middle of the road with a dog wai5ing to cross. As I got very close to 5hem , the dog  ran out in front of me and was hit by my car. 
I stopped and asked how things were. The owners said, “ no problem” and the dog seemed OK. I had a weird feeling about it, so went to Police HQ and explained what happened as I thought that was was required. They took details etc. and that was it. 
That was untill I got a caution in the post. What the actual fuck was that about ? That is now on my file. Is that fair ?

That’s not how cautions are supposed to work. They have to identify to you, very clearly, what offence you are supposed to have committed and you have to sign, agreeing that you committed the offence and accept the caution.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, John Wright said:

That’s not how cautions are supposed to work. They have to identify to you, very clearly, what offence you are supposed to have committed and you have to sign, agreeing that you committed the offence and accept the caution.

Agree. But this was about 32 years ago, so time has changed and improvements made. It did however up my insurance for my car. 
Sometimes think I should not have stopped, but that is not not how I am made. Honesty always has to be to best route, even when some t**t turns the  tables. That is what we have instilled in our kids. Just hope they are not treated like shit, like  I was.

11 hours ago, manxst said:

Notice that the police officer who pleaded guilty to assisting benefit fraud was due in court last week on the 5th, and yet the media have point blank ignored it. Guess he got away lightly, seeing as the AGs saw fit to drop 20 theft charges as well as one of concealing, disguising, transferring or removing the proceeds of crime. My bet is a caution or suspended sentence, as well as being allowed to resign his position rather than getting sacked. Any takers? 

You were right about suspended sentence. Page 3 Examiner.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, John Wright said:

The issuing of cautions was subject to wholesale abuse on the Island. There will be thousands who should have challenged them. 

• Like 1

I received a caution in 1980, for celebrating my 20th birthday at an hotel which wasn't licensed to do it. I refused to sign the form at the cop shop and then wrote a strong letter to the CC of the time refusing to accept any caution as I wasn't familiar with licensing. Heard no more about it. 

• Haha 1
On 11/10/2020 at 2:50 PM, quilp said:

I received a caution in 1980, for celebrating my 20th birthday at an hotel which wasn't licensed to do it. I refused to sign the form at the cop shop and then wrote a strong letter to the CC of the time refusing to accept any caution as I wasn't familiar with licensing. Heard no more about it. 

Young buggers..... :lol:

On 11/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, Derek Flint said:

The issuing of cautions was subject to wholesale abuse on the Island. There will be thousands who should have challenged them. 

Yes, I am one of those. Did not know they could be refuted. I got two for not breaking the law. I signed them both in ignorance. Wish I had known then what you have said now.

10 hours ago, Anyone said:

Don’t be silly , the police would never abuse their power by issuing cautions willy nilly. 

I couldn’t believe what was going on when I transferred. A caution would be just sent in the post! It’s meant to have some degree of gravitas. The individual admits guilt, and is brought in to the station for the administering  by an officer, ideally a sergeant or above, who will discuss the error of ways and hopefully make a difference.