IOM COURTS SENTENCING

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I couldn’t believe what was going on when I transferred. A caution would be just sent in the post! It’s meant to have some degree of gravitas. The individual admits guilt, and is brought in to the station for the administering  by an officer, ideally a sergeant or above, who will discuss the error of ways and hopefully make a difference.

That's how I thought it was supposed too be until my son hot one after serving unknowingly alcohol to a (mature looking) minor in Co-op some time ago.

Can he ask for it to be expunged from record ?

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twenty years ago when the schools became devolved and management of the school budgets lay with the head teachers is when things began to change. The money was and is in exam enrolment.  When the

That was a big McSteak.

Sigh. Why is it that we have to wait for a major incident (jail, controversy on the world wide stage) before someone realises that perhaps expecting workers to come from the U.K. to a different j

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Banker said:

Did this guy really have to spend 4/5 nights in prison for this offence, no violence, left the pub when asked and arrested elsewhere?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58972&headline=Chef sentenced after threatening love rival&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

1. He hasn’t been to prison. Custody = police cells. You don’t go to prison unless you’ve been remanded or sentenced by a court.

2. where do you get 4/5 nights from? Arrested on Sunday. Late. He’d have been interviewed overnight, with duty advocate present, if he was fit. If he had alcohol on board the duty doctor would have been called to assess if fit to be detained and interviewed. If he was fit he’d have been charged Monday morning and produced to court on Monday 9th. If too drunk he’d have been allowed to sleep it off, interviewed on Monday and either bailed or produced to court on Tuesday. 

IOM newspapers are slow reporting, printing and publishing. That article was in the independent on 12th. It’s printed in England on 11th. Monday 9th is too late for inclusion in Examiner on 10th as it’s printed in England on 9th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

1. He hasn’t been to prison. Custody = police cells. You don’t go to prison unless you’ve been remanded or sentenced by a court.

2. where do you get 4/5 nights from? Arrested on Sunday. Late. He’d have been interviewed overnight, with duty advocate present, if he was fit. If he had alcohol on board the duty doctor would have been called to assess if fit to be detained and interviewed. If he was fit he’d have been charged Monday morning and produced to court on Monday 9th. If too drunk he’d have been allowed to sleep it off, interviewed on Monday and either bailed or produced to court on Tuesday. 

IOM newspapers are slow reporting, printing and publishing. That article was in the independent on 12th. It’s printed in England on 11th. Monday 9th is too late for inclusion in Examiner on 10th as it’s printed in England on 9th.

Ok in cells, still had liberty taken away for 1/2 days or whatever it was, surely they could have dealt with it by caution?

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

Ok in cells, still had liberty taken away for 1/2 days or whatever it was, surely they could have dealt with it by caution?

He’d still have had to be arrested, held, witnesses interviewed and given the chance in interview to give his side, if it was an offence suitable for caution, under the caution policy.

so that’s an overnight, at least. And it’s not suitable. Very lucky to get a fine with that sort of behaviour and a verbal threat to kill on licensed premises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Apple said:

That's how I thought it was supposed too be until my son hot one after serving unknowingly alcohol to a (mature looking) minor in Co-op some time ago.

Can he ask for it to be expunged from record ?

I think if enough people challenged it there might be some traction. The good thing is that most will be considered ‘spent’ other than for applications for certain posts. Even then they are unlikely to create an issue. I have a niece who had a disclosable GBH conviction from over 12 years ago who is now getting a good career together in the care sector. 

5 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

I got one too many years ago, in the post for a trivial matter that i had zero influence over. 

Anyway, now Derek is spilling the beans, tell us what really happened with the secret tape recorder :-) that listened to confidential discussions between advocates and scallys?

It was in real terms a load of bollocks. Interviews in progress were being downstream monitored - which is fairly common practice. The problem is that the legal consultations were being done in the same room! The inference is clear.

It was an indictment of the time. Poor policy, lack of transparency and accountability. Things improved after Mike Culverhouse started to weed through what he used to call ‘mediocrity as an option’. We were never best mates, but he did a job.

With the new custody suite, we introduced separate lawyers office, consultation rooms and interview rooms. Only the interview rooms had CCTV and the ability to downstream so other detectives could monitor - useful in multi-suspect cases. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Sent to prison for 4 weeks for Covid breach - 27th Oct
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/four-weeks-of-jail-for-covid-19-rule-breaker/

But arrested accused on 7th Nov of raping someone at gunpoint? Dates don't add up for me...
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59020

I think there's a clue in the Covid story.

"At around four o'clock the next morning, he and a woman went for a walk around the village before he returned home."

Makes sense put him away for the Covid breach whilst investigating the alleged rape.

20 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Sent to prison for 4 weeks for Covid breach - 27th Oct
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/four-weeks-of-jail-for-covid-19-rule-breaker/

But arrested accused on 7th Nov of raping someone at gunpoint? Dates don't add up for me...
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=59020

Looks like he was arrested a few days before the 27th, so those days will be knocked off his half sentence. It's a tight timeline, but probably just fits. Clearly they should have kept him in the full 4 though.

30 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Looks like he was arrested a few days before the 27th, so those days will be knocked off his half sentence. It's a tight timeline, but probably just fits. Clearly they should have kept him in the full 4 though.

Again, the date of the report is not the date of the hearing. He was arrested on 23rd by the look of it, and was either in Court on Saturday 24th or Monday 26th.

That results in release on Thursday 5th. Like quarantine the day you are arrested and held in custody is day 1.

Anyway, it’s now sub judice. No more comments.

Some pretty heavy-duty stuff being handed down in UK now for COVID breaches. Guardian online reports a London gym owner being fined £67k for refusing to close during lockdown. He might have preferred 4 weeks in Jurby Hilton.

Some background may be required on that case? The fine may have been based on his takings during his breach of regulations and whether there was 'previous' breaches/ warnings???

Edited by Kopek