IOM COURTS SENTENCING

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh that may be true and there are practicalities with a jail sentence involved as well.  By 'regulated role' I thought you were referring to more formal checking.  But a lot of the people who have been locked up would never be able to afford a large fine and so would end up going to prison because they couldn't pay.  So if you're claiming that one punishment is dreadful and the other can be overlooked, they'd really disciplining people on the basis of how much money they have.

You seem to have changed your tune over Covid. You now seem to be openly welcoming living in the equivalent of Erich Honecker’s East Germany having spent the last 10 years criticizing just about every authoritarian thing government has ever done on the same forum. 

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Twenty years ago when the schools became devolved and management of the school budgets lay with the head teachers is when things began to change. The money was and is in exam enrolment.  When the

That was a big McSteak.

Sigh. Why is it that we have to wait for a major incident (jail, controversy on the world wide stage) before someone realises that perhaps expecting workers to come from the U.K. to a different j

Posted Images

I didn’t say they were. I was saying I’d rather we stay with border restrictions and not open ourselves to to what’s happening in the U.K. 

Part of that involves jailing those who chose to ignore the rules and risk the virus getting a foothold here again. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

I didn’t say they were. I was saying I’d rather we stay with border restrictions and not open ourselves to to what’s happening in the U.K. 

Part of that involves jailing those who chose to ignore the rules and risk the virus getting a foothold here again. 

Well Guernsey gave a fine out to someone who broke isolation rules 3 times in a week, we jailed someone for 4 weeks for stopping for petrol.

you commented to someone who pointed out our laws were draconian compared to others 

These would be the places heading for a second lockdown

• Like 1
5 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Most employers find they can’t possibly overlook any custodial sentence. A fine for a Covid breach I’d think would largely be viewed differently. 

intelligent employers would also overlook the custodial sentence if it related to covid.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But the fact remains few other places in the world have lowered themselves to such draconian and totalitarian levels. Not even our near islands who have the exact same quarantine rules. It’s like some sort of mental health crisis has happened where people don't see how totally ridiculous and unacceptable it is to automatically criminalize people for the rest of their lives in the same way some grotty Banana Republic chooses to discredit people who don’t submit to their will. 

why are you so engrossed in what other countries do or don't do. The Island has it's own rules so just follow them. Not that difficult is it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Most employers find they can’t possibly overlook any custodial sentence. A fine for a Covid breach I’d think would largely be viewed differently. 

Not true is it? Most employers would probably show a bit of sympathy.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But the fact remains few other places in the world have lowered themselves to such draconian and totalitarian levels. Not even our near islands who have the exact same quarantine rules. It’s like some sort of mental health crisis has happened where people don't see how totally ridiculous and unacceptable it is to automatically criminalize people for the rest of their lives in the same way some grotty Banana Republic chooses to discredit people who don’t submit to their will. 

Yeah, Guernsey would never lock someone up for 300 days for breaking quarantine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

why are you so engrossed in what other countries do or don't do. The Island has it's own rules so just follow them. Not that difficult is it?

Oh yes sorry. I forgot that any debate on better systems or different practices is completely banned on here as everyone wants to live under a rock and quite likes it that way. The fact remains that automatically locking people up in fast tracked court appearances is what despotic regimes and shady banana republics do. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
36 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Oh yes sorry. I forgot that any debate on better systems or different practices is completely banned on here as everyone wants to live under a rock and quite likes it that way. The fact remains that automatically locking people up in fast tracked court appearances is what despotic regimes and shady banana republics do. 

Isn't that the problem? you have systematically failed to produce any evidence of a better system.

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

No I have. Plenty but you’ve just discounted them. Guernsey seems to work fine without throwing everyone in prison for instance. 

That's actually how debates work, you say something I discount it.

I say something, I'm immediately accused of being a troll.

Sometime later, JW arrives and threatens suspensions...

As for Guernsey, did you miss Roger's link above?

1 hour ago, WTF said:

intelligent employers would also overlook the custodial sentence if it related to covid.

Well, maybe. An employer might also perceive an element of deceit and behavioural issues in the prospective employees personality. If I was the employer I'd think twice and have my doubts. 

• Like 2