Ronaldsway Airport - 747 landing

Just now, finlo said:

I would say yes, different story for taking off again though!

A 747 8i can land on runway 08, on a dry runway, with 80% of passengers, and 30% of fuel, minimum runway 4,750 ft, Ronaldsway length on runway 08 is 5,754ft, so can land with 1000 ft to spare, am i right ?

Anyone else remember the 757 that was brought in to do a direct charter flight to the Balearic island's? Pre runway extension?

They had to remove all the seats before it was able to depart again unless I dream it!

Don't think there'll be many 747s left in service soon, they're all being retired on the grounds of being less fuel-economical than the new generations of wide body, two engined jets. BA have retired all theirs, 'twas on news a couple of weeks ago. Even questions on the same grounds, of those relatively new, colossal A380s.

Let alone the fact that there's currently bugger-all passengers...

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Anyone else remember the 757 that was brought in to do a direct charter flight to the Balearic island's? Pre runway extension?

They had to remove all the seats before it was able to depart again unless I dream it!

You were dreaming. None need for such nonsense to get a 757 out of Ronaldsway.

I have a video of a 757 departing, after bringing the Island Games team back from Scandinavia, a few years ago. It was empty, was only going to Brize Norton, and was airborne in a few seconds, using less than a third of the runway. 

Many fully loaded 757's have been in, and out, of Ronaldsway, over the last 20 years, although some may have made refueling stops en route to their destination.

Edited by Nellie
1 hour ago, Nellie said:

You were dreaming. None need for such nonsense to get a 757 out of Ronaldsway.

I have a video of a 757 departing, after bringing the Island Games team back from Scandinavia, a few years ago. It was empty, was only going to Brize Norton, and was airborne in a few seconds, using less than a third of the runway. 

Many fully loaded 757's have been in, and out, of Ronaldsway, over the last 20 years, although some may have made refueling stops en route to their destination.

It may not have been a 757? The one in question was delayed by a couple of days until a suitable replacement was sourced then came back with one of the passengers in the hold.

• Haha 1