1500 People on Dentist Waiting List!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m sure people aren’t angry about it but it’s a fact. We are all already supposedly paying for a service via a heavy deduction from our wages. Why should anyone then be expected to pay an additional

My last few visits to the dentist over here, have convinced me that for those able to pay, there is no real comprehensive NHS dental care anymore. What we do have is subsidised private dentistry.

They only want new residents to pinch their pensions to pay for their own!

14 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m sure people aren’t angry about it but it’s a fact. We are all already supposedly paying for a service via a heavy deduction from our wages. Why should anyone then be expected to pay an additional amount to replace that service that they are already paying for? 

Conveniently omitted when banging on about how much better off we are living here!

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m sure people aren’t angry about it but it’s a fact. We are all already supposedly paying for a service via a heavy deduction from our wages. Why should anyone then be expected to pay an additional amount to replace that service that they are already paying for just because the government that is being paid to manage that service can’t seemingly do its job? 

Heavy deduction? Have you ever lived in Germany? We pay very little NI. If we want a champagne service, we should be paying more into it.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m sure people aren’t angry about it but it’s a fact. We are all already supposedly paying for a service via a heavy deduction from our wages. Why should anyone then be expected to pay an additional amount to replace that service that they are already paying for? 

Our expectations of dental care have massively increased since the system was designed. And therefore the cost.

I don't see taxation as being like ordering off a menu. I don't expect to get out what I pay in. The point is that I'm contributing towards the society in general.

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Conveniently omitted when banging on about how much better off we are living here!

It's the same in the UK.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

So according to 3fm there are more than 1500 peeps on the IOM on the dental waiting list! Don’t forget these people pay their taxes and deserve equality.

Is it time the Government realised that the Isle of Man is at total saturation/breaking point with residents, it’s a similar story with people awaiting Hospital consultations etc, etc?

Source - 3FM News

I heard the bloke that does the late show on Manx Radio. He used to say how he goes flying and when you are up in the air you can see loads and loads and loads of space for more houses. He still says the same thing except he says just look at Google earth.

And this is him being serious. That is the extent of his views on population growth.

It looks like Chris Thomas MHK, and indeed the chap who came third in Douglas South have the same simple and short-sighted view on population growth and how society work. 

• Like 1

I’ve been blessed with a decent set of teeth so never needed any major work. I’m with the dentist attached to Ramsey cottage. Check up every 12 months, which I think is about 18 quid? Forgive my ignorance, but regardless of who you are with, private or NHS, is that charge the same? I presume after that there is an ‘NHS’ and a ‘private’ scale of charges for work (fillings, bridges etc)? How does it work?

the reason I ask is that as we know dental check up is just like an eye test. It can pick up so much more, such as cancers, and can encourage preventive treatments thus reducing the burden on the health service. It’s something we really need to get right. Another one of those areas where the question arises whether we are spending money in the right places? ‘Bridges’, or bridges, so to speak. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Heavy deduction? Have you ever lived in Germany? We pay very little NI. If we want a champagne service, we should be paying more into it.

I do not think it is so much a matter of how much tax or NI one pays, but what is the standard of living in that country - countries like Sweden or Switzerland probably have high rates of tax but also have high standards of living.

I lived in Germany for a long time, and my view was that everything was clean, tidy, well-maintained and generally high quality. But I also found that the Germans were buggers for not spending money - unless it was necessary, and then only for something of good value.

The IoM gov. on the other hand can't resist throwing away £30 million on resurfacing 1.5 miles of road. Amongst many, many, other things. The money is there, but wasted. I have posted before that in terms of GDP per capita, the IoM is one of the wealthiest countries in the world.

1 hour ago, pongo said:

For perspective - my dental plan costs me less than the price of a pint every week.

I don’t have a plan, I just pay. Costs me about £100 a year for an annual check up and two scale and polishes. Less than most spend on haircuts. But since we don’t have a National Haircutting Service nobody moans about that. 

If it were up to me I’d bring back school dentists, fluoridate the water, and scrap adult NHS dentistry for all but the most needy in society. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Last Ten said:

So according to 3fm there are more than 1500 peeps on the IOM on the dental waiting list! Don’t forget these people pay their taxes and deserve equality.

Is it time the Government realised that the Isle of Man is at total saturation/breaking point with residents, it’s a similar story with people awaiting Hospital consultations etc, etc?

We hear so much bullshit that the Government is working hard to address these issues but in reality we’re going backwards, our total infrastructure is at total breaking point, Hospitals, Doctors, Dentists, Mental Health, Police, Schools to name but a few.

Who is ever going to make a bold statement and say we cannot increase residency any further and concentrate in enhancing our current services that we have at present?

LT

Source - 3FM News

Absolutely disgraceful. And this probably doesn't even include all the people ON a list but who are not being seen. I made an appointment with my NHS dentist back at the start of the year, probably January, and was given a date of April to be seen for a regular check-up. Suffice to say, my appointment was cancelled, understandably, due to Covid-19, but even back then that's a 4 month waiting time. It's better than no dentist at all but it's still not great. I had to proactively make that appointment myself and it looks like I'll have to proactively chase up another appointment myself. I have no confidence that if I was to face a dental emergency I would be promptly seen by the dentist. 

Just now, wrighty said:

If it were up to me I’d bring back school dentists, fluoridate the water, and scrap adult NHS dentistry for all but the most needy in society. 

There's no scientific basis for fluoridating the water. As you probably know, it was rejected in Germany due to the fact that the fluoride cannot be proportionately spread out in  a given body of water. You cannot stop too much here, too little there, none this other area. It's not like you can get a giant spoon and stir the fluoride into the water. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, wrighty said:

If it were up to me I’d bring back school dentists,  

I'd like to bring our one back and kick his c*nt in.

Looking back he was obviously paid by the treatment, and would take a tooth or two out because of something called teeth overcrowding. And there was always a filling or two needed.

The bastard.

That's how he could afford a fancy sports car, big house, and numerous world cruises in the day when cruises were once in a lifetime.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I'd like to bring our one back and kick his c*nt in.

Looking back he was obviously paid by the treatment, and would take a tooth or two out because of something called teeth overcrowding. And there was always a filling or two needed.

The bastard.

That's how he could afford a fancy sports car, big house, and numerous world cruises in the day when cruises were once in a lifetime.

I'd have to recount memories that concur. South African ours was, early 70s. Think he'd worked for their Secret Police or something. Absolute butcher. A school mate had a needle pushed clean through his tongue, no shit.

I still get asked by my dentist why I still fear treatment so much, I'm a white knuckle job. A previous one sussed it out for himself and said as much. I'm sure I can't be the only one.

• Like 2

Horror stories from the 70s notwithstanding, the concept of a school dentist is a good one - encourage good hygiene routines, regular check ups for all kids etc. Do it right and there’d be very little adult dentistry required. 

Dental practice has also changed. I remember having to bite down on a rubber block before being gassed in the dentist’s chair, and a school friend had his lip accidentally drilled. My kids’ experience of modern dentistry is far more benign. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, pongo said:

For perspective - my dental plan costs me less than the price of a pint every week.

But what do you get for your dental plan payment

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I don’t have a plan, I just pay. Costs me about £100 a year for an annual check up and two scale and polishes. Less than most spend on haircuts. But since we don’t have a National Haircutting Service nobody moans about that. 

Thankfully, it’s not up to you...

• Like 2