1500 People on Dentist Waiting List!

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Prescriptions. There’s a good point. 

UK - £9.15

Isle of Man - £3.85

That is very, very cheap in comparison. 

Keep it quiet. Usually when someone mentions how low a cost is in comparison to UK, it gets hiked. I remember Road Tax was always lower than UK. Then it got hiked up year on year to way above UK. Phil Gawne was the relevant Minister at the time. He certainly didn't oppose it and whined that it had to be done.

• Like 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m sure people aren’t angry about it but it’s a fact. We are all already supposedly paying for a service via a heavy deduction from our wages. Why should anyone then be expected to pay an additional

My last few visits to the dentist over here, have convinced me that for those able to pay, there is no real comprehensive NHS dental care anymore. What we do have is subsidised private dentistry.

They only want new residents to pinch their pensions to pay for their own!

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Keep it quiet. Usually when someone mentions how low a cost is in comparison to UK, it gets hiked. I remember Road Tax was always lower than UK. Then it got hiked up year on year to way above UK. Phil Gawne was the relevant Minister at the time. He certainly didn't oppose it and whined that it had to be done.

But what does it actually pay for? 

I can sort of see the point with medication.

Looking back he was obviously paid by the treatment,

Sorry you had a negative experience of the school dentist but you are wrong on that point. School dentists were salaried so there was zero incentive to 'look hard' for work.

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

It costs taxpayers £20m pa to fund free prescriptions and a lot of those people can afford to pay

Don't worry - this has been looked at by govt and it will probably not be the only nettle that the DHSC will have to grasp in the new era. Increases to prescription prices got pulled by Ashford but is some of the thinking in the future, no doubt. Next DHSC Minister's poison chalice I reckon. Shimmin?

20 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Sorry you had a negative experience of the school dentist but you are wrong on that point. School dentists were salaried so there was zero incentive to 'look hard' for work.

If that is the case, then maybe Harold Shipman was his love child or something.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

I went to Hailwood Dental Centre. Tatiana from Romania. Never, unless absolutely essential, used an injection and knew exactly what she was doing, and not a bit of pain, even into the root canal.. Best dentist I have ever been to.

Unfortunately she left the Island.

I'll second that, sad day when she left, I believe everybody got transferred to Woodbourne Road practice

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Barlow said:

I went to Hailwood Dental Centre. Tatiana from Romania. Never, unless absolutely essential, used an injection and knew exactly what she was doing, and not a bit of pain, even into the root canal.. Best dentist I have ever been to.

Unfortunately she left the Island.

the good ones  can always move on.  the reality is that health/dentistry etc was a 'service' ,  now it is an 'industry' , i may have mentioned before that one of my kids had tooth ache years ago and the usual dentist was off,  the locum  offered 3 alternatives as to what he could do and my kid picked extract,  the dentist surprised by the unexpected choice refused this option he had offered as he realised it would be doing the usual dentist/industry out of numerous other procedures on the tooth over the years.  job 'A' when the dentist opens your gob these days is to rip your gums away from your teeth so they bleed and then tell you that you have gum disease and they can sell you something for it, this never happened 40 years ago when i was a kid.

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

the good ones  can always move on.

That’s the real issue, they can make more money working privately and I would imagine it would also be less hassle, can’t imagine there is many reasons to remain loyal to the NHS.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

If that is the case, then maybe Harold Shipman was his love child or something

Can't believe you posted that. Why would you ?

I think dental ethos/culture has changed considerably, whereas 40+years ago they were happy to pull teeth at the slightest excuse now the realisation is that everybody is issued with only one (adult) set and they try to save them wherever possible.

Hence the modern reluctance to extract and only as a last resort (although they may of course have one eye on future work too).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Apple said:

Can't believe you posted that. Why would you ?

It was in response to someone saying that dentists were paid a salary.

I would have preferred to hear they were paid by the filling or extraction. At least that would make sense.

As I mentioned above I have had fillings from a dentist who never bothered with injections and even fell asleep in the middle of a procedure. The school dentist was nothing but pain. Why would a dentist go ripping a kids teeth out for no apparent good reason? Giving them injections and drilling away at their teeth and giving them fillings, again, I would suggest for no good reason.

I can't believe he did that. Why would he?

That’s the real issue, they can make more money working privately and I would imagine it would also be less hassle, can’t imagine there is many reasons to remain loyal to the NHS.

I recall that before they started tinkering with the system here nearly 30 years ago to copy the UK, private dentistry in the IOM was generally limited to treatments that had never been available on the NHS. Pay and terms for the everyday work the NHS would pay for was very reasonable and most were quite happy with the system.

Someone went to Fred C at the time and suggested their plans to copy the UK would not end well but they were determined that the NHS paperwork processing and dentist checking and compliance was transferred from here to Eastbourne where England's dentist's work was checked and processed. This meant paralleling the UK system and so started one of many 'new contracts' where the dentist's agreements were unilaterally and sub-optimally changed and with each new contract since, they are worse off in terms, conditions and pay until enough was enough.

I hear the present NHS contract is virtually unworkable although I understand there are initial incentives to get dentists to the IOM. In addition,  the patient contributions (which started in 1950 btw) have increased dramatically and the rigid NHS rules have not really embraced the huge advance in techniques and materials now available.

Just remember that general practice dentists are self employed. They own the practices and everything in them, employ the staff and like every business, derive their income from what the NHS plus patients pay them less their practice overheads which can easily exceed 50% turnover.  Private dentistry, where the business owner is in charge, seems the only way forward for those who just cannot work with what seems a crazy system. If only they had listened to that fella who tried to tell them, back in 1991, what would happen eh?

It is damned hard, massively responsible sometimes stressful work that demands unique skills and British Isles private dentistry is often the same or cheaper than most European countries apart from the likes of Hungary, Bulgaria etc where practice and registration costs are considerably lower.  Mrs biker had to have a difficult molar root filling done in Malaga and paid the same price as she had been quoted in Douglas. 

Edited by ballaughbiker
  • Thanks 1

when the dentist opens your gob these days is to rip your gums away from your teeth so they bleed and then tell you that you have gum disease and they can sell you something for it, this never happened 40 years ago when i was a kid.

Yep, periodontal disease (gum disease) was largely ignored in the past so "nice" dentists who didn't even own a perio probe were just supervising neglect. 

"Good" dentists measure the depth of the gum-tooth gap regularly so early gum disease is caught when it is easily treatable. Perhaps the dentists 40 years ago weren't doing you any favours.

A mate of mine who has received regular treatment from a dentist in Bristol is now having to spend thousands to save his teeth from advanced gum rot yet they hardly have any fillings. He doesn't think his dentist he's seen for all those years as "nice". 

• Like 2