Pathetic internet service in Onchan

I have a relative in Onchan with lousy internet connectivity (not just very slow but also intermittently disconnects) and I've tried everything to help them. It isn't wi-fi interference. 

Would switching from Sure to MT or MT to Sure make the slightest bit of difference? They are looking into changing contracts.

Any recommendations on who is best value for money at the moment.

Thanks

Edited by ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat

Nowt wrong with my internet

eta - tempted fate once too often. Feckin internet went down and completely fecked up my emails. Off to MT in the morning then...

Edited by Neil Down

My internet is fine too. It never disconnects. It’s not as fast as I’d like it to be but that’s due to the technical limitations of running internet over two copper wires that were buried underground decades ago before the internet was even invented. 

Once fibre is available your disconnection  issues should go away. 

Are they plugged in to the router or using wifi? Often, people conflate local issues with Wi-Fi and issues from their router down the phone line.

If the issues persist when plugged in, then I would replace the little ADSL filters. Make sure there is one on every phone in the house, and replace any old ones for good measure as they're only a pound or two. If they are still dropping out at this point, there is a cheap and easy way to check for interference affecting the line. Sitting near the router, tune into 612kHz on AM or MW. As you move the radio around, if there's a source of interference, you'll hear it get a lot louder as you get closer. Often dodgy power adapters etc. can influence it.

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat said:

I have a relative in Onchan with lousy internet connectivity (not just very slow but also intermittently disconnects) and I've tried everything to help them. It isn't wi-fi interference. 

Would switching from Sure to MT or MT to Sure make the slightest bit of difference? They are looking into changing contracts.

Any recommendations on who is best value for money at the moment.

Thanks

Sybil~ | psy317wongchanfai

^ that image is from the tv movie Sybil which was about someone with, apparently, multiple personsalities - back in the era of the kind of cod "psychology" was still taken seriously. Today we quite rightly just dismiss them as trolls. They aren't sick - just annoying.

Edited by pongo
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Are they plugged in to the router or using wifi? Often, people conflate local issues with Wi-Fi and issues from their router down the phone line.

If the issues persist when plugged in, then I would replace the little ADSL filters. Make sure there is one on every phone in the house, and replace any old ones for good measure as they're only a pound or two. If they are still dropping out at this point, there is a cheap and easy way to check for interference affecting the line. Sitting near the router, tune into 612kHz on AM or MW. As you move the radio around, if there's a source of interference, you'll hear it get a lot louder as you get closer. Often dodgy power adapters etc. can influence it.

Thanks for the suggestion on replacing the ADSL filter. I've tested their internet with a wired connection and it was still slow. I'll tell them to buy a filter.  

That's cool about using a radio - will check that out just for the fun of it!