University Life

I saw this this piece of which I would describe of nonsensical journalism by the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece, in which Allinson came out with what could be described as unintelligible garbage. Yes, it’s a hard time for students from the island at the moment, but if you want soothing words of reassurance from this ‘knob’ forget it. 

And as for Manx Radio, most students are going to the U.K. mainland, not abroad as Manx Radio insists. 

Education minister looks at university life in 2020

The education minister says Covid-19 has presented university students with an opportunity to reimagine freshers' week.

Many young adults from the Isle of Man are heading abroad this month to study, and Dr Alex Allinson is encouraging them to make the best of unusual circumstances:

• Like 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking at the students locked down in Manchester, I think many are already asking the question, what is the point of this? There is nothing that they couldn’t do at home, and at least they’d have acc

Thinking back to my student days, I'm not sure what's up with these kids. So you're away from home and parents for the first time. Food is being delivered to you. Someone will have blow. You're t

That’s the sort of saccharine claptrap that literally makes you puke. Just like all those people “re-imagining” the job market - by not having a job. It’s total meaningless garbage. 

Posted Images

Looking at the students locked down in Manchester, I think many are already asking the question, what is the point of this? There is nothing that they couldn’t do at home, and at least they’d have access to a washing machine and food other than that carted in by Deliveroo. 

I hope the experience improves for them in reasonably short order.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The education minister says Covid-19 has presented university students with an opportunity to reimagine freshers' week.

That’s the sort of saccharine claptrap that literally makes you puke. Just like all those people “re-imagining” the job market - by not having a job. It’s total meaningless garbage. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Well Allanson has 12 months to re-imagine - next years tourist economy, TT Races and steady decline in the Manx Financial Services. Perhaps he wants to use the remaining term in off to partake wonderful’pearls of wisdom’ to those, without hope, without a job and those without much of a future! The next 12 months will be extremely hard on the islanders, without the Minister spouting smug self pretentious waffle over the airwaves. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Well Allanson has 12 months to re-imagine - next years tourist economy, TT Races and steady decline in the Manx Financial Services. Perhaps he wants to use the remaining term in off to partake wonderful’pearls of wisdom’ to those, without hope, without a job and those without much of a future! The next 12 months will be extremely hard on the islanders, without the Minister spouting smug self pretentious waffle over the airwaves. 

Well main problems with economy will be for new Comin after election so won’t be Howie & Skelly problems and hopefully not Cregeen, Harmer, Boot or Baker!!

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

We have to face some hard facts on that. Our tourist strategy for the last 30 years has been shit. In fact it’s been worse than shit. So I’m not sure how we’ll have any success in the hardest tourist market since WW2 when the same people were utterly shit during the relative tourism boom of the last 20 years. 

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Looking at the students locked down in Manchester, I think many are already asking the question, what is the point of this? There is nothing that they couldn’t do at home, and at least they’d have access to a washing machine and food other than that carted in by Deliveroo. 

Given the UK has passed 50 new laws without parliamentary reference (how many have we had?) there is never a decent human rights lawyer around to argue about the Human Rights Act when freedoms like this, and travel, are so severely curtailed. Where's George Clooney's wife when we want her. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently the impact of students returning was 'modelled' and the potential impact was anticipated. What a pity they didn't tell anyone else about it. (or maybe they did). :ph34r:

From the BBC website:-

Prof Mark Woolhouse, who sits on the government's pandemic modelling group SPI-M, said the situation was "entirely predictable" and had been modelled.
He said students were not to blame for the outbreaks and with students converging from around the country it was "inevitable there would be some spread".
Modelling showed the risk areas were first-year halls of residence and face-to-face teaching, he said.

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Of course a return to Uni will result in spread.

I think some people may have rethought their plans if there had been more information beforehand. I don't think any on here noted the modelling or predictions. Presumably the benefits are that herd immunity is now firmly back on the agenda, which seems a contradiction to lockdowns and the 10 pm shutdowns. 

Don't disagree about the coffers - follow the money now is where it's at.