University Life

From the perspective of the universities, they need the cashflow, and there'd be a lot of kick-off at them charging 9k for an entirely remote course. Universities have taken to chartering planes from the international student hotspots, to try and keep numbers up.

Understandably, for some students, the practical sessions are also a core part of their courses. The social aspect is also a massive thing for them. Being stuck on the island, at 18 can be really tough when you've been looking forward to trotting off into the big wide world.

I'm no epidemiologist, but, hypothetically speaking, if you could separate the University population into the reasonably young and healthy, and COVID spread through them, as it does well, they get better and resume, would that also help to reduce the spread in the environments where it's seemingly rife at present? It does seem the younguns are a big issue at present. Or claimed to be.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking at the students locked down in Manchester, I think many are already asking the question, what is the point of this? There is nothing that they couldn’t do at home, and at least they’d have acc

Thinking back to my student days, I'm not sure what's up with these kids. So you're away from home and parents for the first time. Food is being delivered to you. Someone will have blow. You're t

That’s the sort of saccharine claptrap that literally makes you puke. Just like all those people “re-imagining” the job market - by not having a job. It’s total meaningless garbage. 

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Apple said:

I think some people may have rethought their plans if there had been more information beforehand. I don't think any on here noted the modelling or predictions. Presumably the benefits are that herd immunity is now firmly back on the agenda, which seems a contradiction to lockdowns and the 10 pm shutdowns. 

Don't disagree about the coffers - follow the money now is where it's at.

Was the possibility of institutional lockdown ever mooted?  

Half the students going to university would be better off getting employment or studying locally.   Those going for proper professions I wish all the best to but the ones going on half baked courses will be left floundering when they finish university because the non essential industries are going to be the ones hit first when the downturn comes.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Was the possibility of institutional lockdown ever mooted? 

Not to my knowledge. The main things that if this was 'prerdicted' then students and their families would have been given the choice.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Apple said:

Not to my knowledge. The main things that if this was 'prerdicted' then students and their families would have been given the choice.

Not until they'd banked their cheques that is.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Those going for proper professions I wish all the best to but the ones going on half baked courses will be left floundering when they finish university because the non essential industries are going to be the ones hit first when the downturn comes.

I'm fairly sure that you're confusing education with training.

I've never really seen the point of univesities providing training. University is ultimately often about learning how to think conceptually. That's one level at least up from the specifics.

A well educated person can be trained to do anything. Though, more likely, they will find it out for themself. If they are interested.

It's always about being able to go back to the basic concepts and build a thing from scratch. Training never provides that.

Eg the difference between a sonar operator and someone who could design sonar from first principles.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thinking back to my student days, I'm not sure what's up with these kids.

So you're away from home and parents for the first time. Food is being delivered to you. Someone will have blow. You're trapped in a building with hundreds of horny kids your own age and applications on your phone that mean you can arrange an assignation without actually having to talk to them first and you don't even have to get out of bed to attend lectures!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Declan said:

So you're away from home and parents for the first time. Food is being delivered to you. Someone will have blow. You're trapped in a building with hundreds of horny kids your own age and applications on your phone that mean you can arrange an assignation without actually having to talk to them first and you don't even have to get out of bed to attend lectures!

Yes definitely. I know that you are both joking and yet not.

But you're seeing it as if with the benefit of some kind of both pre - cog and hindsight. With the perspective of someone who cannot see themself.

In reality we ourselves had most of what you describe (except for apps) but could not see it. You can't ever see how great it is until much later. If you could you'd be dangerous.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 3

Will it not be part of the model that these young people are mainly circulating in their own circles? It’s an age group that seems to be less impacted, so the consequences of transmission in that group are minimal. If they can restrict themselves to not going home until Christmas, chances are most will have had it, shed it and pose no risk in vectoring it home. A bit of social responsibility when outside halls should deal with the potential for local problems. 

Just a thought. Maybe the model included that?

10 hours ago, Declan said:

The perfect preparation for a career in politics!

• Like 2

Won't someone think of the children.

Who would go to university this year? Crazy. In the middle of a pandemic.

Have a year off ffs. After my A' levels before gap years were a thing, I did a year working on building sites. It was the best year of my life. I had a year to think about what I wanted to do at University (it was at a time before they were downgraded to "Uni") and listened to what my friends were doing and how they were coping. I was putting money in my pocket too and gained invaluable experience.

If you see it you see it, if you don't - crack on and go to Uni. The now much bigger unknown. And possibly a waste of year. There's enough stress being there as it is without Covid-19.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Will it not be part of the model that these young people are mainly circulating in their own circles? It’s an age group that seems to be less impacted, so the consequences of transmission in that group are minimal. If they can restrict themselves to not going home until Christmas, chances are most will have had it, shed it and pose no risk in vectoring it home. A bit of social responsibility when outside halls should deal with the potential for local problems. 

Just a thought. Maybe the model included that?

In sections of any community are going to be used as a tool to develop herd immunity then surely you would expect some form of awareness and choice in the matter? Was it done this way to ensure the University's coffers wouldn't run dry? Wouldn't be too much to expect really. 

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

Won't someone think of the children.

Who would go to university this year? Crazy. In the middle of a pandemic.

Have a year off ffs. After my A' levels before gap years were a thing, I did a year working on building sites. It was the best year of my life. I had a year to think about what I wanted to do at University (it was at a time before they were downgraded to "Uni") and listened to what my friends were doing and how they were coping. I was putting money in my pocket too and gained invaluable experience.

If you see it you see it, if you don't - crack on and go to Uni. The now much bigger unknown. And possibly a waste of year. There's enough stress being there as it is without Covid-19.

and who is going to pay all the university's costs for a year? Half of them would be gone for ever. They are businesses (big businesses)