New Forum Software

Barlow

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I suspect you haven’t subscribed successfully. You aren’t shown as a subscriber. You’re a regular.

In your current identity you’ve not been suspended for saying what you think. Just for tit for tat thread shitting post after post. You must be imagining you’re someone else.

If a poster wasn’t suspended regularly for trifle things, then they would not bother creating secondary profiles to continue posting. If that poster pays £40 up front and is treated in a different manner to other posters,  ( who pay nothing ) then you can’t blame them being a tad pissed off. 

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

If a poster wasn’t suspended regularly for trifle things, then they would not bother creating secondary profiles to continue posting. If that poster pays £40 up front and is treated in a different manner to other posters,  ( who pay nothing ) then you can’t blame them being a tad pissed off. 

You aren’t being treated differently. You weren’t treated differently. You become a nuisance from time to time. Wasn’t even me who finally banned you in your previous identity. You whinged in the run up about your lost subscription.

Anyway, now you’ve accepted you haven’t subscribed as Scotty, and that you’re a parachute or secondary account of someone who was banned, you’re on your final chance, again.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, John Wright said:

Yes, whoever you are. You, threadshitting.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Yes, whoever you are. You, threadshitting.

John. You always had my respect for your qualifications and your grit and determination to fight your health issues but you were only brought on board to cover the shit being posted and for legal reasons. 
Why you feel you need to keep banning posters is out for the jury to decide. You do realise how you are  viewed by the majority of posters, do you ? I have just written my epitaph but dont care as I really can’t understand your game here. 
 Manx Forums ran so well before you were given the power to drop that ban hammer. Have you not realised that ?. Why do you feel you need to annoy so many on here with your method of moderation ?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

John. You were only brought on board to cover the shit being posted and for legal reasons. 
Why you feel you need to keep banning posters is out for the jury to decide.

You're being a tad unfair here, and in my opinion, most posters who end up with a ban after fair warning or for tiresome and incessantly aggressive trolling have deserved the ban. Even after being given a 'holiday' by the mods, to cool off and consider why they've been furloughed, they'll eventually return to usual form and they have to go. You yourself were subjected to continuous needling and intimidation by another poster (now banned), he/she had become a distractive nuisance who targeted you for their own entertainment. Posters who adopt such tactics need to be, well, exorcised. I'm sure if you'd been on the jury in that case you'd have found him guilty. For jury, see moderators.

You do realise how you are  viewed by the majority of posters, do you ?

Majority of posters? Nah, I would offer that the majority of posters wouldn't agree with that supposition. Though I might be wrong.

I really can’t understand your game here.

But he's not the only moderator though is he? I would like to think that there is something of a discussion held between the mods and by agreement, the ban-hammer falls. That is if that persons record of offensive posting style isn't completely obvious. In my opinion, some previous posters were banned only after being given a rather long piece of rope. Take the poster known as TJ, or the Sultan, as an example. Their various incarnations and identities were sussed and banned time after time because essentially their sense of self-importance and almost neurotic need to keep reinventing themselves ultimately became tiresome by side-tracking and clogging-up any narrative. 

Manx Forums ran so well before you were given the power to drop that ban hammer. Have you not realised that ?. Why do you feel you need to annoy so many on here with your method of moderation ?

Hopefully, most posters are happy with the way MF rolls. Yes, there may've been occasions when the ban-hammer has dropped, or furlough enforced on someone in a seemingly unfair manner, that a moderator allowed his personal feelings to overide fairness but how often? Can you really claim that it's done to "so many"? Your post contains much exaggeration, imo... 

8 hours ago, finlo said:

Woolley retired voluntarily didn't he?

Well yes, prompted by a ban.

45 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Without a doubt i should have been bsnned more for my own protection 

Didn't you get one for telling Rog to fuck off? Should have been applauded.

50 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

1. Well yes, prompted by a ban.

2. Didn't you get one for telling Rog to fuck off? Should have been applauded.

1. I never answered Woolley’s flounce announcement. He was never suspended or banned. He was in a long running threadshitting tit for tat exchange with P.K. I asked them both to stop, P.K. did. Woolley flounced.

2. Rog hasn’t visited for a while. Hope he’s ok.

I’ve been moderating for 10 years. Before that I did 3 years of legal advice at a particularly difficult time.  I had a year off when I had leukaemia and was having chemo. We used to have an extremely light touch. Some posters took the piss.  At a time I wasn’t moderating the rest of the team closed the forum to new members and debated its future. They were fed up with having to deal with the fallout of some posting and the constant sniping, messaging etc.

It wasn’t just TJ. 

They agreed a much tighter moderation style three years ago. Opened up to new members. 

It’s still a very light touch by comparison to many other forums and most other social media.

The last two mods to leave just got fed up with constant whinging in personal messages, trying to complain about other moderators, in one case stalking.

For about a year I was the only moderator actively moderating. We are back up to three now. 

Do I get it wrong? Sure, of course. Do I have a personal agenda? No. Why would I. I want MF to survive and provide a platform. I’ve no idea who most posters are, so there’s no personal animosity. But we all signed up to T&C which say that a moderator decision is final, then there are some who don’t accept in practice.

I really think hard before warning, or suspending, and even harder before a permanent ban. Yes, I banned someone last night. It was a parachute account. Set up by someone who had accumulated 15 suspensions. They were then banned, not by me. Then immediately started posting under the parachute account. They’re a great poster most of the time and add a lot. But get into stupid tit for tat spats, time of month, lunar cycle stuff. Page after page of two or three posters doing the forum equivalent of panto “yes it is” and “no it isn’t”, but in more offensive terms isn’t good, warn publicly and all hell breaks out.

Returning posters always identify themselves. Style, content, phrases. Other posters often see it before the mods. Then we get sock puppet allegations.

If someone wants rid, set up a poll. If the result is that the majority want me to go, I’ll go. 

I don't think you make it personal either John, I just think sometimes you're a little quick to use the hammer. I think sometimes you miss the humour that might be behind the posts. That said, I can see that moderating must be a bit of a nuisance, and while I complain a little, I do appreciate the forum really.

I can't understand why people would give the mods shit behind the scenes, there's no need for that.

Like I said, my last ban was justified, I was purposefully winding the Sultan up, he deserves it sometimes. But some of my others have just been weird.

• Like 2