If the dirty bastards elsewhere can between themselves and their governments manage to stop giving each other the pox then they'll be welcome to visit whenever they want. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 9/30/2020 at 9:36 PM, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I am no fan of petitions.

However, the utterly spineless approach of the iom government is behind this.  Nothing else.   

If we had a progressive plan and approach, people would have more confidence in things.  The reality is that she knows (as do many of us) that the minute we get a few more cases there will be a complete meltdown and we will go back to a concentration camp experience at the Comis in a heartbeat.

So, setting your sexist stance aside Sid, perhaps have a look at what is driving this.  Just because she works for government doesnt mean she isn't entitled to voice her views.  In fact, it's about time someone did rather that the gutless wonders in Tynwald who think it's ridiculous but won't actually say anything .

I admire her for having a voice and not being browbeaten. 

On 10/1/2020 at 12:45 PM, Apple said:

Petitions should not be commenced or supported by Government employees as it may be seen as some form of endorsement or criticism of Government policy. It isn't just about Covid, it's about trying to summon public support for political reasons.

So, unless she has sanction from a politician I think she may be getting a call from someone. We can't have all government employees in effect 'blowing the whistle" can we?

Of course, she may just be developing some publicity for a potential future career move instead.

Just because you work for Government doesn’t mean that you have to agree with everything they say or do, but they don’t like it. When I was up at the hospital and had the temerity to comment on a road safety matter on my twitter account, a very senior police officer threw me under a bus. This is half the problem with progress for the Island, for if you dare to criticize or suggest alternatives then you do tend to get black balled. I’m sure Annette will have some fallout as a result of this but good on her for having a voice and some balls to flag up a very real dilemma. As piebaps points out if she is going soon, she really has nothing to lose.

On 10/1/2020 at 1:01 PM, piebaps said:

FFS they talk about flinty being an ex-rozzer every time they wheel him out and he's been gone for so long that his experience of policing operations is fast becoming obsolete.

You are absolutely right. They reckon you have a shelf life of about 5 years post job in terms of your currency. I’ve no idea how the IOMC operates today, and restrict commentary to stuff that hasn’t changed in terms of core approach and I maintain some interest in, namely road safety, custody and armed policing. There are some characters they wheel out to the UK media who have been gone far too long and are massively out of touch. It doesn’t do the job any favours.

19 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

a very senior police officer threw me under a bus.

Blimey, harsh.

19 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

she really has nothing to lose.

We do.

• Like 1