Jump to content

Attracting money to the Isle of Man - Selling with Ebay and IoM postage costs


Recommended Posts

I have been flogging some stuff on Ebay to UK and beyond. So in other words, I am introducing money to the Island. OK it's not huge amounts but it is all declared and taxable. 

The higher costs for postage, as with beer, car tax, rates  &c is more than in UK (like those it used to be lower) and the postage costs are killing the business by having to compete with UK postage rates.

I wonder could the Isle of Man Post Office have concessionary rates - or at least equal to UK rates - for businesses selling off-Island?

To illustrate what I am getting at, when you consider £1 spent locally is worth £1.83 to the economy, what is a pound that has been introduced to the Island be worth? I realise this is a minor matter when compared to a house being sold for few hundred grand to a UK resident, but it is the principle I am looking at.

Incidentally the postage delivery time from the Island is very quick and can easily compete with UK. (I have sold at 4:30 pm here, and the package is received next day in UK, often in morning)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Barlow said:

Incidentally the postage delivery time from the Island is very quick and can easily compete with UK. (I have sold at 4:30 pm here, and the package is received next day in UK, often in morning)

Presumably that's Special Delivery. Here are the prices compared.

IOM:

iom.PNG.df8d851186cc9a47e67a3cdf86c7cd50.PNG

UK:

uk.thumb.PNG.5df5f021e12ff6209e8393625516f152.PNG

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Isle of Man prices seem more or less the same. Apart from the IOM having that, presumably useful, extra step between 5kg and 10kg.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are other postal services, my friend and me have been looking at starting a small business we too were totally put off the Post Office because of their exorbitant prices. I suggest you try other carriers. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

ebay gives you the option to buy and print out a prepaid postage label, if the item is under 1kg the cost is £2.60. IOM post packet rate for the same weight is £4.77.

Are the prepaid ebay labels valid for use here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Thanks for the replies.   

Many of my sales are in the low price category say <£20 and <1kg so this

3 hours ago, Hillside said:

ebay gives you the option to buy and print out a prepaid postage label, if the item is under 1kg the cost is £2.60. IOM post packet rate for the same weight is £4.77.

Are the prepaid ebay labels valid for use here?

Such prepaid offerings from Ebay are what I was mainly going by.

The difference of £1-£2 in postage is significant to my profit (my spending power on the Island), and my competition.

When an item is more than 2kg then it's Hermes all the way, but the problems with Hermes is a whole new topic and I think Facebook has that covered. Hermes has cost me a lot of cash in lost/late items.

 

 

 

Edited by Barlow
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is what I am up against:

Source UK post: https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/uk-standard

Source Isle of Man post: https://www.iompost.com/uploads/price-guide-july-2020-update_web.pdf

Illustration:

1854491533_Iom-UKPostage01.thumb.jpg.53fc9c9ff7f623c93ef252ab3b822820.jpg

 

However, I seem to have found a category where the Isle of Man is lower priced - medium parcel 1kg.£5.20 UK, £4.7 IoM

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A few weeks back, an ebayer in the UK sent me the wrong item by mistake - it cost them £3.10 postage. When I returned it to them it cost me £1.61 - our post office pulled it through the large letter guide, which I think didn't apply in the UK. So, there are some positives. They repaid me by the way...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Ebay sellers do a lot of ripping off on their supposed postage costs.

I've been accused of that. I just send them a link to the Isle of Man postal charges. Then they realise that in effect they have not been charged for the jiffy bag, tape and label.

The cost is what it is: Item + postage. Take it or leave it.

I see a lot of stuff from India for £1, but the postage is £345, for example (that's a different thing but you get the idea)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pongo said:

Isle of Man prices seem more or less the same. Apart from the IOM having that, presumably useful, extra step between 5kg and 10kg.

Are you thick? Sending anything off the island is significantly more than sending anything from the UK. 

I had to close down my Etsy shop because it became economically unviable thanks to the insane postage costs. For several years I just sustained the cost increases out of my profit margins but it has come to a point where the cost of postage means there is no longer any profit. If I continued to do business via Etsy, I'd literally be running at a cost. Thanks to IOM Post. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sm-iom said:

A few weeks back, an ebayer in the UK sent me the wrong item by mistake - it cost them £3.10 postage. When I returned it to them it cost me £1.61 - our post office pulled it through the large letter guide, which I think didn't apply in the UK. So, there are some positives. They repaid me by the way...

Wow, the whole island economy is saved.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat said:

Are you thick? Sending anything off the island is significantly more than sending anything from the UK. 

I had to close down my Etsy shop because it became economically unviable thanks to the insane postage costs. For several years I just sustained the cost increases out of my profit margins but it has come to a point where the cost of postage means there is no longer any profit. If I continued to do business via Etsy, I'd literally be running at a cost. Thanks to IOM Post. 

You never had an Etsy shop.

sybil.jpg

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...