DOI 15 year Road Map for Douglas

I cannot believe they are wasting money raising the sea wall to stop overtopping, when the current sea wall cannot do its job because the beach has moved over the decades. All that is needed is a couple of blokes in JCBs to move the beach back over a few weeks. Existing sea wall can then do its job. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cannot believe they are wasting money raising the sea wall to stop overtopping, when the current sea wall cannot do its job because the beach has moved over the decades. All that is needed is a coup

Yes, but the problem is the beach is almost level with the top of the wall. Water simply runs up the beach and onto the road. If they were to dig it away to allow the ten foot wall to reflect the wave

Can mobility scooters use cycle lanes...? 

19 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I cannot believe they are wasting money raising the sea wall to stop overtopping, when the current sea wall cannot do its job because the beach has moved over the decades. All that is needed is a couple of blokes in JCBs to move the beach back over a few weeks. Existing sea wall can then do its job. 

We'll have none of that common sense stuff on here thank you!

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Same at Laxey. But, unfortunately that solution doesn't protect the jobs of the army of designers, planners and project managers, in the DoI, by keeping them occupied for several years, so will never happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Let's not forget, there's already a tractor down the beach most days of the week.

48 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Let's not forget, there's already a tractor down the beach most days of the week.

Yes, but the problem is the beach is almost level with the top of the wall. Water simply runs up the beach and onto the road. If they were to dig it away to allow the ten foot wall to reflect the waves, the outgoing waves will help cancel the incoming waves lessening their effect. That is how sea walls work. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After the recent fiascos and some of the crackpot schemes that have been suggested over the years, I wouldn't trust the DoI to plan anything. 

DoI mantra:

"We must do something!"

"Here's something."

"Let's do it!" 

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Yes, but the problem is the beach is almost level with the top of the wall. Water simply runs up the beach and onto the road. If they were to dig it away to allow the ten foot wall to reflect the waves, the outgoing waves will help cancel the incoming waves lessening their effect. That is how sea walls work. 

What I was implying was, it could already be making a start on moving the build up of sand and other beach aggregate from the seawall, rather than just pushing seaweed back into the next tide which is all that it's doing at the moment since forever :flowers:

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I cannot believe they managed to get that much shit in only 25 pages, well done boys you have surpassed yourselves and i thought the prom was the highlight of the 21st century.

Bang on. And naturally, the best part is that we can guarantee that the department (loose term) will have anything up to 20 Ministers in the next 15 years who all have their own agendas (assuming it still exists and isn't subject to another restructure and re-branding exercise). That's setting aside the fact that the document is likely to be either replaced by a cut down version called "Vision 2025" any time soon, or get shredded by mistake along with Mr Robinson's copy of "Highways Management for Dummies".

• Like 1

I see signs have gone up at ballacraine and the hope informing us that the exact same section that was shut for months is to shut again from monday 12th for another 4 weeks !!!,   i was hoping 'claer' was the only fail, wonder what they missed that takes 4 weeks to unfuck?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Cambon said:

Not on the Isle of Man sunny Jim...

• Haha 2
On 10/9/2020 at 12:15 PM, WTF said:

I see signs have gone up at ballacraine and the hope informing us that the exact same section that was shut for months is to shut again from monday 12th for another 4 weeks !!!,   i was hoping 'claer' was the only fail, wonder what they missed that takes 4 weeks to unfuck?

4 Weeks hmmmm ... what was the original estimate for the work, it took so long I forgot how long it was supposed to be, with the amount of roadworks at the moment all over, perhaps its a covid plan to keep everyone at home !