Chief Constables Report 19/20. Latest distribution of Tripe

It’s good that we don’t seem to be that arsed about tracking people to ensure that they don't spread COVID-19 but we can invest into a pilot tagging lifers on early release. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/isle-of-man-prison-pilots-new-tagging-technology/

Maybe they’d be better spending money to find ways of tagging “key workers” instead?

PS: Why do we have an “interim” prison governor all of a sudden? Has ours done a bunk after the welders coverage? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is there a breakdown of how many of the additional crimes were committed by serving police officers?

And Juan Watterson SHK is against that. Wasn’t he Home Affairs before he got his wig? Tells you all you need to know about ehh we’ve not had regular inspections..

Well, why don’t you post my catalogue of catastrophe on here? Feel free, with my blessing. The public deserve to know. off you go then....

52 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Slightly off topic Derek, but what is your opinion on Speed Cameras, do they really save lives, or do the just bring in a revenue source ?

They save lives - when positioned with proper evidence. I’m not a fan of fixed static sites, But there is a place for mobile vans, randomly deployed where evidentially there is an issue, and on the A18 there is a case for average speed systems. 

But this whole issue is about much, much more than speed. This Government desperately needs to invest in its National Road Safety Strategy across the board. It was reported to me the other day that the Road Safety Manager is displaced from post, and the team is effectively rudderless. Every day that situation is allowed to persist, if true, is another day lost. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

They save lives - when positioned with proper evidence. I’m not a fan of fixed static sites, But there is a place for mobile vans, randomly deployed where evidentially there is an issue, and on the A18 there is a case for average speed systems. 

But this whole issue is about much, much more than speed. This Government desperately needs to invest in its National Road Safety Strategy across the board. It was reported to me the other day that the Road Safety Manager is displaced from post, and the team is effectively rudderless. Every day that situation is allowed to persist, if true, is another day lost. 

I agree. Sadder still is the  fact that we , as taxpayers support the TT and it’s inherent dangers where almost 300 riders have died, while at the same time telling Joe Public how to drive safely . Hoteliers making a few Bob should not ever be more important than people dying unnecessarily after hitting walls or horses or several other obsticals. There is a value to life. Be it in sport or everyday activity.

e

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

does this record have a B side ?

• Haha 3
13 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

PS: Why do we have an “interim” prison governor all of a sudden? Has ours done a bunk after the welders coverage? 

I wondered the same. 

15 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Probably resides in the UK and isn’t considered enough of a ‘key worker’ to bring across each week...

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

I wondered the same. 

In May this year it was Bob McColm denying we’re mistreating inmates jailed for spurious Covid offenses and now we seem to have a new “interim” prison governor called Leroy. So has McColm been binned off or left over the covid period? Has our draconian treatment of prisoners under emergency powers seen him off? Or maybe he’s won “Jailer of the Year” now we’ve jailed so many and is currently doing celebratory tour of African Banana Republics lecturing them on how they can get their prison numbers up?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/prison-governor-refutes-claims-over-poor-treatment-of-inmates/

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

He's still shown as Governor on the government website.  But it's possible he has retired - I think he was due to from memories of the ITV series and he was in the job five years in March.

46 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

He's still shown as Governor on the government website.  But it's possible he has retired - I think he was due to from memories of the ITV series and he was in the job five years in March.

And we still have 3 deputy governors. And none could step up. Haven’t seen it advertised, either.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And yet the apparent interim governor isn’t. Just seems a strange time for anyone to be going what with the current jailing Guinness World Record attempt going on. 

59 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

And yet the apparent interim governor isn’t. Just seems a strange time for anyone to be going what with the current jailing Guinness World Record attempt going on. 

I can only assume they haven't updated that page for a good while - I remember being surprised that Bonnick wasn't there over a year ago when the Prison series came out.  He's Deputy Governor - Head of Residential Services since 2017 according to Linkedin, so the obvious person to take over.  

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

AG’s Prosecutions still lists the Director of Prosecutions who left 18 months ago. There’s been an acting foe 12 months and now a substantive appointment.

• Thanks 1

Wonder if the blue on blue cop car crash that shut dukes avenue earlier this week (probably closed out of embarrassment) will count as one crash or two in the 20-21 report.

• Like 2
On 10/17/2020 at 7:24 PM, Derek Flint said:

Speed cameras do save lives and have proven to do so and are very effective at reducing speed in problem areas/accident black spots where speed has been the primary factor. Spot speed cameras are effective in one particular small section of the highway and average speed cameras are effective over a long stretch of highway. Mobile speed cameras are effective where speed is an issue such as temporary road works. If people don't wish to give revenue to Government then simply drive to the posted speed limits. Where the Mountain Road is concerned and other deristricted roads then that is primarily a matter for the DoI Highways Division/DoI Minister/Law Makers (Council of Ministers (or whoever decides) to make an all island speed limit whereby, I would imagine, enforcement using speed cameras of varying types along with the traditional Roads Policing Unit would be used.

Edited by yootalkin2me