Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I note deliberately no comments allowed on this by IOM Newspapers. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58275

“Each key worker application is checked by the department involved, the DHSC and Cabinet Office.

An exemption to allow an individual to enter the island will only be granted once agreement has been reached at each stage.“

So because three lots of civil servants look at applications they are apparently “robustly” checked despite the clear fact that nobody seems to check up on them from the minute they step on the boat. And nobody seems that bothered about reminding them of their obligations under our emergency powers on the boat either. This is just a bullshit process IMHO. What is the point of them going through all this paperwork for them then just be left to their own devices when they actually get here? If the risk of community transmission is as critical as is constantly being rammed down our throats what purpose does any of this multi department checking before they get here actually achieve?

The processes outlined in that story don’t sound “robust” to me they sound more like “bollocks”.

And at the end of the day a hobby railway aimed at middle aged deviants who won’t be coming here anyway this year is not critical national infrastructure either!

The final quote says it all “It is important to recognise that recent incidents have arisen due to individuals choosing not to comply with clear and formal directions agreed in advance.” So nothing to do with us mate they signed a form and promised to be good. Sorry if IOM gets covid back. But I have a form in my drawer to show it’s got nothing to do with me. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thermite welding is hardly a controlled explosion . It uses a thermite composition to produce a high temperature controlled heating of the rail ends to weld them together, although why on Earth we nee

But surely the "clickity click" is part of the heritage experience...?!

Yes, well, of course, I knew all that. 

There must be plenty of spare capacity in the Government employ just now, to check up on things.

And cheaper in the long run. How much does it cost for police, run a court service, prison, etc plus also the ensuing bad publicity. To say nothing of opening up the possibility of spreading the virus.

For this once, I would allow the government the excuse of "lessons will be learned"

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Barlow said:

There must be plenty of spare capacity in the Government employ just now, to check up on things.

And cheaper in the long run. How much does it cost for police, run a court service, prison, etc plus also the ensuing bad publicity. To say nothing of opening up the possibility of spreading the virus.

For this once, I would allow the government the excuse of "lessons will be learned"

Would have been 5 figures minimum to  process all welders with prison costs, transport, lawyers fees etc 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm unclear from reading the OP and the replies as to what the complaint specifically is?

That they've been let in at all? That they've been allowed in and then taken by police escort to their hotel? That we've spent more money convicting them than we would have had we been actively been checking on them at any moment? That they can come in and work on something you have deemed non-essential to the economy but the general public aren't allowed to bring family over? 

21 minutes ago, war baby said:

Pity there is nobody on the IOM who can weld.

If you'd have read the news article, you'd have seen that there are no welders on the island trained to weld rails.

Specific to construction, Covid related delays are payable by the client under all of the main contracts in place when Covid appeared, and even some since. If the Government stops workers that are essential to the contract works coming in, then the client pays the extra cost for someone local, or they pay for the delay while work is stopped. Does anyone know how much the Government has paid on its existing contracts due to covid related delays? I bet it far, far exceeds the amount it cost to jail 5 welders. 

So what is the solution? Going forward we only allow companies who can employ local workmen to carry on working? Don't design any work that specialists might be required for? Stipulate that anyone pricing has to price using local labour? Prices will go up across the board, projects will take longer and the tax payer will foot the bill for Government work that is affected. 

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Feelslike said:

I'm unclear from reading the OP and the replies as to what the complaint specifically is?

It’s simple really. At no point does the article or anyone quoted in it explain anything that suggests the system is robust. Complicated, bureaucratic, somewhat pointless and labyrinthine but certainly far from “robust” unless you believe in the power of filling in forms as the frontline fight against covid. We will have this back in no time at all. And it would not surprise me in the least if a key worker will be responsible for bringing it back (if that has not happened already) as it seems all the checks are pointless up front checks followed by zero monitoring of what these people are actually doing. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I note deliberately no comments allowed on this by IOM Newspapers. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58275

“Each key worker application is checked by the department involved, the DHSC and Cabinet Office.

An exemption to allow an individual to enter the island will only be granted once agreement has been reached at each stage.“

So because three lots of civil servants look at applications they are apparently “robustly” checked despite the clear fact that nobody seems to check up on them from the minute they step on the boat. And nobody seems that bothered about reminding them of their obligations under our emergency powers on the boat either. This is just a bullshit process IMHO. What is the point of them going through all this paperwork for them then just be left to their own devices when they actually get here? If the risk of community transmission is as critical as is constantly being rammed down our throats what purpose does any of this multi department checking before they get here actually achieve?

The processes outlined in that story don’t sound “robust” to me they sound more like “bollocks”.

And at the end of the day a hobby railway aimed at middle aged deviants who won’t be coming here anyway this year is not critical national infrastructure either!

The final quote says it all “It is important to recognise that recent incidents have arisen due to individuals choosing not to comply with clear and formal directions agreed in advance.” So nothing to do with us mate they signed a form and promised to be good. Sorry if IOM gets covid back. But I have a form in my drawer to show it’s got nothing to do with me. 

Covid will be coming back. Its dillusional to think it won't.

The thing with 'bubbles' is they always burst.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you're going to go completely against the public statement then you at least need to offer some evidence for your statement. 

You do know that it involved controlled explosions don't you?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Banker said:

Would have been 5 figures minimum to  process all welders with prison costs, transport, lawyers fees etc 

Pay me £1000 and I would have met them off the boat and made sure they had food and supplies throughout their stay. Taxi to and from work too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...