Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I wondered about this. How do they get around the thermal expansion and contraction of the rails if the ends are welded together? Even in our climate the rails are subject to it. Or will the stresses and strains be transmitted elsewhere to cause other problems?

There still are expansion joints, just not as many. Has a chat with the rail welders working out past Groudle most of this summer. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thermite welding is hardly a controlled explosion . It uses a thermite composition to produce a high temperature controlled heating of the rail ends to weld them together, although why on Earth we nee

But surely the "clickity click" is part of the heritage experience...?!

Yes, well, of course, I knew all that. 

6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

No but I found your comments interesting. So basically it’s not strategic key work at all. And furthermore this is clearly another “heritage” feature that has expensively been de-heritaged. So riders won’t even get the Victorian clickety-click in future as it’s been engineered out. What’s the point? Presumably just so that Longworth got to piss more money away and expose our island to covid by engaging unneeded welders just so he can twat about playing choo-choo’s. 

I thought Longworth had retired ages ago ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

As much as Longworth is a use plant pot im glad the legislation is now in place to stop companies binning people at 60.  Or at least if they do try it they need to pay up.

? So how old is Longworth ? and when will he stop buying us all very expensive Mercedes buse`s / mini busses, that we can`t afford ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

? So how old is Longworth ? and when will he stop buying us all very expensive Mercedes buse`s / mini busses, that we can`t afford ?

Once he's worked his way up to an S class?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

? So how old is Longworth ? and when will he stop buying us all very expensive Mercedes buse`s / mini busses, that we can`t afford ?

No idea how old he is.

I agree with the Bus Vannin purchasing and sale strategy.   The actual issue as I see it is that not enough people are being forced onto public transport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

No idea how old he is.

I agree with the Bus Vannin purchasing and sale strategy.   The actual issue as I see it is that not enough people are being forced onto public transport.

 Are it free then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2020 at 6:41 PM, doc.fixit said:

Thermite welding is hardly a controlled explosion . It uses a thermite composition to produce a high temperature controlled heating of the rail ends to weld them together, although why on Earth we need welded rails on our Toytown, low speed rail system I don't know

Fish plates provided a solution for years, uses low tech and is very versatile both for maintenance and versatility.

Exactly. The whole thing could be done on-island by locals. So did the Department undertake a tender procurement procedure to ensure that local contractors were considered before giving the contract to an off-island company?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat said:

Exactly. The whole thing could be done on-island by locals. So did the Department undertake a tender procurement procedure to ensure that local contractors were considered before giving the contract to an off-island company?

Reading a Facebook thread on this, several very experienced local welders said it is something that people over here can’t do. I tend to believe them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Reading a Facebook thread on this, several very experienced local welders said it is something that people over here can’t do. I tend to believe them.

Only because there's no call for it, oh wait...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Reading a Facebook thread on this, several very experienced local welders said it is something that people over here can’t do. I tend to believe them.

Just because they can't do it, doesn't mean they should get in the way of those who can do it. More to the point, why can't they do it? Have they considered looking into getting appropriate training which would enable them to do it in future? Or are they all just moaning Manx crabs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat said:

Just because they can't do it, doesn't mean they should get in the way of those who can do it. More to the point, why can't they do it? Have they considered looking into getting appropriate training which would enable them to do it in future? Or are they all just moaning Manx crabs.

They should train for two days work every 20 years ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

They should train for two days work every 20 years ?

Just how much training do you think is involved? Probably a half day course at most for an experienced welder who already has underlying knowledge and experience. I've done first aid training  and not once had to use it. Does that mean I wasted my time? If you are a smart person or at all take pride in your work, you would look to expand your knowledge and skills just as a matter of completeness and knowing it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat said:

Just because they can't do it, doesn't mean they should get in the way of those who can do it. More to the point, why can't they do it? Have they considered looking into getting appropriate training which would enable them to do it in future? Or are they all just moaning Manx crabs.

They're probably a fuck sight more clued up that you TJ to be fair.

It isnt difficult to understand.   There is a contract to do certain works via a uK company.

Loads of welding experts on here I see too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...