Boy David gets a Gong

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve no idea if he’s good at his job or not but at least he sounds as though he is. His performance through the whole covid lockdown experience was reassuring and gave an air of someone who knew what

Your family allegiance is touching Mrs. Ashford but it’s now time for your comfy slippers and a nap. 

That’s a bit unfair. I wouldn’t berate him for it. Where was our non-existent director of public health? She wasn’t even on the island at the start when people in care homes were actually dying. A goo

1 minute ago, Manx Bean said:

My first reaction was to consider whether Howard is miffed, or just quietly hanging on for his Knighthood in the New Year list?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/david-ashford-mbe-shocked-stunned-and-surprised/

There’s more chance of Douglas Promenade being totally finished next Easter than the opportunity of HRH The Chief Minister getting his much longed for Knoghthhood. The last ‘Sir’ awarded to a ‘Chief Minister’ was Miles Walker. Also Charles Kerruish was Knighted. Allan Bell was awarded a CBE, a precursor to a Knighthood. Each year either a politico or a civil servant is awarded a Gong. This year, it’s a politico. Apart from a consultant at Nobles I was disappointed that no other front line nursing staff were awarded a bauble or two. Granted some charity/community organisers were awarded awards, but couldn’t we find more nurses to be rewarded? What about an award to that individual who ran countless times around the islands beloved TT course raising funds for the Manx Solidarity Fund? 

Politicos should not be rewarded whilst they are currently serving, it smacks of cronyism. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Banker said:

The Channel Islands health leaders all got gongs as well plus in Guernsey their CEO & communications head so be thankful will greenhow didn’t get one here!

Guernsey did at least have a communications strategy. Ours has been genuinely appalling. But they did get a fair number of awards for key people:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-54435622

I’ve got no issue with this MBE and as you say it seems to have been equally awarded to similar roles across islands. I’d imagine both HQ and Gavin St Pier will get sorted at a later date too. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
23 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There’s more chance of Douglas Promenade being totally finished next Easter than the opportunity of HRH The Chief Minister getting his much longed for Knoghthhood. The last ‘Sir’ awarded to a ‘Chief Minister’ was Miles Walker. Also Charles Kerruish was Knighted. Allan Bell was awarded a CBE, a precursor to a Knighthood. Each year either a politico or a civil servant is awarded a Gong. This year, it’s a politico. Apart from a consultant at Nobles I was disappointed that no other front line nursing staff were awarded a bauble or two. Granted some charity/community organisers were awarded awards, but couldn’t we find more nurses to be rewarded? What about an award to that individual who ran countless times around the islands beloved TT course raising funds for the Manx Solidarity Fund? 

Politicos should not be rewarded whilst they are currently serving, it smacks of cronyism. 

My theory ...

53 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I would love to see the big man get a knighthood.  For no other reason that it would probably make you spontaneously combust.

• Haha 1

I’ve no idea if he’s good at his job or not but at least he sounds as though he is. His performance through the whole covid lockdown experience was reassuring and gave an air of someone who knew what he was talking about. 

He’s one of those chappies that inspire confidence and we needed, and still need that right now. 

I dread to think how it might have been had the previous Minister still been in place. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
58 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Apart from a consultant at Nobles I was disappointed that no other front line nursing staff were awarded a bauble or two.

Those in the health game know that the Nobles Consultant is really well deserved. So is David Ashford's award. He has got on top of the problems in the DHSC fast and has demonstrated good leadership despite the frustrations. 

There are many other front line health workers who would be in the running, not just nurses. Looking at Nobles management they are all much of a muchness. Nothing exciting or significant or admirable about the current management that stands out. And yes, many of them get paid handsomely for turning up at their desks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

I’ve no idea if he’s good at his job or not but at least he sounds as though he is. His performance through the whole covid lockdown experience was reassuring and gave an air of someone who knew what he was talking about. 

He’s one of those chappies that inspire confidence and we needed, and still need that right now. 

I dread to think how it might have been had the previous Minister still been in place. 

Which one Howie or Kate?

Both but KB would not endear herself to the public in the same way he’s engineered himself to do - with the assistance of Gef  

The Vampire Boy David has been in training for this for a very long time  he knows what is expected and he stepped up to the plate. 

• Like 1

With the exception of Richard Corkill, am I right in thinking that every CM since Sir Miles has received an award? Gelling, Brown, Bell have all received OBEs/CBEs for their service?

I sincerely hope Mr Ashford share's the glory with all the Healthworkers that helped him win such an accolade, as clearly when David was asked any ackward question he always referred his answer back as coming from the "Clinicians"

• Like 2