Boy David gets a Gong

11 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Correct. Whilst retaining the same general nomenclature, we should make them much more glitzy than the stuffy, imperialist UK equivalent - more like the Oscars in fact - The Yessirs.

OBE - Onchan’s Bell End - Rob Callister

MBE - More Bloody Expense - Everyone at the DoI

GCMG - Government Couldn’t Manage Grasscutting - COMIN

KCVO - Keeping Castletown Virtually Ostracized - Tony Brown

BEM - Bollocks Every Morning - Manx Radio

Alternatively, they should all just eat a bag of dicks on self-celebration.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve no idea if he’s good at his job or not but at least he sounds as though he is. His performance through the whole covid lockdown experience was reassuring and gave an air of someone who knew what

Your family allegiance is touching Mrs. Ashford but it’s now time for your comfy slippers and a nap. 

That’s a bit unfair. I wouldn’t berate him for it. Where was our non-existent director of public health? She wasn’t even on the island at the start when people in care homes were actually dying. A goo

16 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I wouldn’t berate him for it. Where was our non-existent director of public health? She wasn’t even on the island at the start when people in care homes were actually dying. A good load of them seemed to act like headless chickens in the first few weeks.

This is what I was referring to about preparation and foresight. The lockdown here caught a lot of people off side, for various reasons and getting some of the main players (I am not sure how 'main' they really are I suppose) back to the island in time had to be taken into account apparently. But we can wait for the review on that.

DA deserves recognition, not just for his calmness on Covid but also for the amount of work he has had to do in order to try and bring some sense of order to what was fast turning into a farce in the DHSC. Who will ever forget Mohammeds motor scooter in Ramsey (or something to that effect.) 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Apple said:

This is what I was referring to about preparation and foresight. The lockdown here caught a lot of people off side, for various reasons and getting some of the main players (I am not sure how 'main' they really are I suppose) back to the island in time had to be taken into account apparently. But we can wait for the review on that.

DA deserves recognition, not just for his calmness on Covid but also for the amount of work he has had to do in order to try and bring some sense of order to what was fast turning into a farce in the DHSC. Who will ever forget Mohammeds motor scooter in Ramsey (or something to that effect.) 

That happened on Ashford’s watch and he defended the ‘cut and paste’ job from Wigan.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Twitch said:

That happened on Ashford’s watch and he defended the ‘cut and paste’ job from Wigan.

Correct - It was published on his watch and he did stand by those who did it (at the time as any good leader would where confidence and trust were needed) but eventually they both went. As did several others along the way (not enough though because he still needed one or two). There will be a turn out after next April I hear.

Anyway, this is all opinion and the history is there to dig up if wanted. My only concern is about his eventual replacement. There is no-one suitable in the frame as yet who could get on top of it as quickly as he did, as I say, unless maybe Allinson or maybe even Barber (please not) get a shout. DA probably needs Treasury under Alf as CM first before he makes his bid. 

I think JW's announcement was to let people know about the (?) presidency route that he has no eye on CM, at the moment!

Good luck to them all, but we do really need new blood in there.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Apple said:

Correct - It was published on his watch and he did stand by those who did it (at the time as any good leader would where confidence and trust were needed) but eventually they both went. As did several others along the way (not enough though because he still needed one or two). There will be a turn out after next April I hear.

Anyway, this is all opinion and the history is there to dig up if wanted. My only concern is about his eventual replacement. There is no-one suitable in the frame as yet who could get on top of it as quickly as he did, as I say, unless maybe Allinson or maybe even Barber (please not) get a shout. DA probably needs Treasury under Alf as CM first before he makes his bid. 

I think JW's announcement was to let people know about the (?) presidency route that he has no eye on CM, at the moment!

Good luck to them all, but we do really need new blood in there.

Hopefully some of the big failures like Harmer,Cregeen ,Boot & Baker will get emptied along with Hooper.

with Howie & perhaps Skelly not standing then should get some new faces in, Guernsey recently got rid of some long standing members 

• Like 1

Helluva lot of Ashford’s friends and family posting on here all of a sudden!

• Like 2

I initially thought this was a joke when I saw our health minister was getting a gong. This on the back of his family a while back saying everyone should come out and clap for him wasn't it? Really?? I would imagine he felt embarrassed.

I despair sometimes.

• Like 3

I like and respect David but can't help think that it might just be a tad early to get the bubbly out and hug the queen. We're not out of the woods with this covid thing yet. They may have won a couple of battles but by no means the war. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lxxx said:

I initially thought this was a joke when I saw our health minister was getting a gong. This on the back of his family a while back saying everyone should come out and clap for him wasn't it? Really?? I would imagine he felt embarrassed.

I despair sometimes.

Clap for our Government it was badged as, along with the parade around the TT course. You are correct in what you say. 

19 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I like and respect David but can't help think that it might just be a tad early to get the bubbly out and hug the queen. We're not out of the woods with this covid thing yet. They may have one a couple of battles but by no means the war. 

He got one as the Channel Islands equivalents got one along with lots of UK health people, so unless he made a complete bollocks it was nothing to do with his performance as such just that Downing Street wanted to hand out loads of gongs.

Jersey director & deputy director of health both got awards and many on here were questioning their policy.

On 10/11/2020 at 11:07 AM, Uhtred said:

Correct. Whilst retaining the same general nomenclature, we should make them much more glitzy than the stuffy, imperialist UK equivalent - more like the Oscars in fact - The Yessirs.

Not sure about the name, but I love the idea of our own awards ceremony.

No clapping for recipients should be allowed.  Instead, when someone goes to collect their award, or even just when they're nominated, the entire auditorium quietly glares at them while the presenter reads aloud a constant stream of reasons he or she shouldn't win and/or general abuse; e.g.

"...and the South Barrule Medal of General Competence goes to St. John Clementbottom. Look at him, walking down the towards the podium...smiling gormlessly like the big fool he is. Massive liar. Massive! And everyone knows his mother's a loon. But then the whole family's a bit tapped in the head. And they're not really Manx...he's only here because his dodgy grandad was on the run from HMRC back in the 50s.  Oh, and he was quick to leave the first chance he got, but the big div soon came back when he couldn't make a go of it in England, didn't he ladies and gentlemen? Tsch! Look at him waving to the balcony seats like he's somebody! Prick

What a fuckin' joke. He only got this because his dad charged mates rates when he built that garage for one of the selection committee."

Edited by VinnieK
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Helluva lot of Ashford’s friends and family posting on here all of a sudden!

I am neither and I have been a critic when needed. He knows that. 

47 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

They may have one a couple of battles but by no means the war. 

Totally agree. I would keep him in that role if possible as I  have more confidence in the overall decision making with him at the helm. 

To be fair to DA, he was dropped into an environment/situation that's never been encountered much before in living memory; his Dept by definition was at the forefront and in his public addresses he stepped up and displayed leadership. I personally think he deserves it, as long as those within his department who contributed so much also get credit.

It could have been much, much worse. It could have been Boot. In which case we'd probably have been shooting the infected on Saturday afternoons. Before retiring for Pimms.

• Haha 1