Boy David gets a Gong

I've seen better delivery at st judes mhelliah. Had he done a bit of ad libbing, maybe thrown in a couple of mother in law jokes or something then yes, perhaps some award may have been deserved. He's just basically got an MBE for doing as he's told

Edited by the stinking enigma
  • Like 3
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve no idea if he’s good at his job or not but at least he sounds as though he is. His performance through the whole covid lockdown experience was reassuring and gave an air of someone who knew what

Your family allegiance is touching Mrs. Ashford but it’s now time for your comfy slippers and a nap. 

That’s a bit unfair. I wouldn’t berate him for it. Where was our non-existent director of public health? She wasn’t even on the island at the start when people in care homes were actually dying. A goo

3 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

He basically read out a load of sersticstics then threw in the contact tracing led by public health line all while covering his arse with the clinicians backstop. What actual decisions did he make? 

Kept the hospital shut for months after we had 0 infections ensuring waiting lists increased 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

What actual decisions did he make? 

Well, I suppose we'll never know cos none of us were part of the decision-making process; re the ad-libbing and mother-in-law jokes- hmmm, okay, but people were dying (maybe some mother-in-laws amongst them?). If he'd started cracking jokes people would have started tearing him apart for insincerity and lack of gravitas. He's had to tread a narrow path in that and show he was keeping his head in order to inspire others to do the same.

I actually saw him a couple of weeks ago trudging up Prospect Hill and then in the IoM Bank. He looked like he was carrying the world on his shoulders.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually they already have.  There's the Tynwald Honour Medal and the Manx Patriots' Roll of Honour, for those who are safely dead.

Had to laugh at the description of Godred Crovan on the the Manx Patriots' Roll of Honour, which reads "defeated the Manx at the battle of Sky Hill".

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But you are clearly a troll. You only have to see every post you have ever made. 

Did your mummy once tell you that everybody was out of step except you...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
8 hours ago, Apple said:

Correct - It was published on his watch and he did stand by those who did it (at the time as any good leader would where confidence and trust were needed) but eventually they both went. As did several others along the way (not enough though because he still needed one or two). There will be a turn out after next April I hear

And that gets to the heart of the problem.  Because it isn't showing good leadership when you are defending people who are bad at their jobs because they are part of 'your' team.  It may increase the  "confidence and trust" of those who are getting away with it, but the most of rest of the workforce who have to put up with them will be demoralised.

But then that's all CoMin members are expected to do - act as PR people for their senior civil servants and defend every decision they take, no matter how arbitrary, irrational, expensive or even illegal. 

Now to be fair to Ashford the Department was a complete mess when he took over and his immediate predecessor had been sacked for trying to stand up to the civil service.  But that should have actually strengthened his position.  On the Lady Bracknell Principle to lose two Health Ministers would have looked like carelessness or worse.  Instead he did his usual thing of going with the flow and trying to reorganise his way out of the situation.  Which doesn't have a great track record in Manx government.

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And that gets to the heart of the problem.  Because it isn't showing good leadership when you are defending people who are bad at their jobs because they are part of 'your' team.  It may increase the  "confidence and trust" of those who are getting away with it, but the most of rest of the workforce who have to put up with them will be demoralised.

But then that's all CoMin members are expected to do - act as PR people for their senior civil servants and defend every decision they take, no matter how arbitrary, irrational, expensive or even illegal. 

Now to be fair to Ashford the Department was a complete mess when he took over and his immediate predecessor had been sacked for trying to stand up to the civil service.  But that should have actually strengthened his position.  On the Lady Bracknell Principle to lose two Health Ministers would have looked like carelessness or worse.  Instead he did his usual thing of going with the flow and trying to reorganise his way out of the situation.  Which doesn't have a great track record in Manx government.

I would guess that is not a widely held view by those working in the department as in DHSC and just your opinion. KB had to go, no doubt about it, but she was emptied in a horrible way by people who should have known better. She was never right for that post.

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, VinnieK said:
2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

ctually they already have.  There's the Tynwald Honour Medal and the Manx Patriots' Roll of Honour, for those who are safely dead.

Had to laugh at the description of Godred Crovan on the the Manx Patriots' Roll of Honour, which reads "defeated the Manx at the battle of Sky Hill".

The whole thing - and indeed both 'honours' - are much more about promoting those handing them out rather than those receiving them (that's true of a lot of honours systems, I suppose).  But there's something gloriously patronising about informing the long-dead that they were jolly good chaps. 

The sight of small-time politicians telling bestowing their approval on those much eminent than themselves is incredibly comic.  Especially when they take it so seriously.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I think David Ashford handled the situation in a competent and professional manner and deserves his medal.   The usual critics who still have to have help to tie their shoe laces are just pathetic.

Spot on Sid. There will always be haters. Just take a minute or two to look who they are on here. No prizes I’m afraid.

• Confused 2
2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I think David Ashford handled the situation in a competent and professional manner and deserves his medal.   The usual critics who still have to have help to tie their shoe laces are just pathetic.

Well done David, did you nominate yourself?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, I suppose we'll never know cos none of us were part of the decision-making process; re the ad-libbing and mother-in-law jokes- hmmm, okay, but people were dying (maybe some mother-in-laws amongst them?). If he'd started cracking jokes people would have started tearing him apart for insincerity and lack of gravitas. He's had to tread a narrow path in that and show he was keeping his head in order to inspire others to do the same.

I actually saw him a couple of weeks ago trudging up Prospect Hill and then in the IoM Bank. He looked like he was carrying the world on his shoulders.

He’s always walked like that, to be fair.

• Like 1