Our wonderful boys in blue

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It'll have gone to a good home and will never be seen again. Someone will have had first dibs on it for weeks.  

Yep - grab yourself an iconic souvenir, last chance. Just like the trackside banners that go missing....

Keep your eyes on Ebay.....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How did you know there were two of us...

It wasn't. It was the newish plastic course map that went missing. The old wooden one remained in place. It would not have been too difficult to make a new plastic route map that was identical to

Ah, balls to it.

Any trove or anything of heritage value has a habit of mysteriously going missing in exchange for a thick brown envelope. I remember some of the better hotels used to be stripped of their quality fittings and furnishings before the boys with the sledgehammers moved in, and no one knew where it all went to. As a younger man I used to enjoy the Chrystals auctions until I realised that all the good stuff never even made the saleroom. Somebody's had the scoreboard but we'll never find out. There's always a racket.

• Like 2

Reminds me of a case I appeared in down at Castle Rushen in 1982/3. I was for the Defendant.

Man charged with burglary and theft of a dozen full bottles of booze from the house of a prominent bookie.

The prosecution evidence was that the defendant  been found, drunk in a ditch with the booze in a sack.

The bag and bottles were produced in court. They were empty. Christmas had intervened.

• Haha 4
55 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Reminds me of a case I appeared in down at Castle Rushen in 1982/3. I was for the Defendant.

Man charged with burglary and theft of a dozen full bottles of booze from the house of a prominent bookie.

The prosecution evidence was that the defendant  been found, drunk in a ditch with the booze in a sack.

The bag and bottles were produced in court. They were empty. Christmas had intervened.

Did the defendant then claim he was taking them to be recycled?

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Apparently now turned up, taken by a well intentioned person who was looking after it!

There's a get out for whoever has the Mayoress' chain... :whistling:

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, Declan said:

Did the defendant then claim he was taking them to be recycled?

Don’t think anyone had thought of recycling in those antediluvian days of innocence.

The High Bailiff, Henry Callow, wasn’t impressed that the evidence store was clearly not secure.

Just now, John Wright said:

Don’t think anyone had thought of recycling in those antediluvian days of innocence.

The High Bailiff, Henry Callow, wasn’t impressed that the evidence store was clearly not secure.

I remember getting money back on empty bottles of pop. That's recycling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Just now, Declan said:

I remember getting money back on empty bottles of pop. That's recycling.

So do I. These were whisky, gin, brandy. Not sure there was ever money back on those.

Yes, milk and pop bottles got reused, although pennies on pop bottle had gone by the early 80’s, I think. But it wasn’t recycling out of environmental concerns then. It was economic. Cheaper to re-use than manufacture anew.

Last bottles I remember paying deposits on were Castletown brewery. I got a mixed case of 24 nut brown and pale ale once a month, there was a deposit to be paid for the case and bottles.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Banker said:

Apparently now turned up, taken by a well intentioned person who was looking after it!

Not just turned up, but back up in its proper place in the scoreboard.  Perhaps another example of a monumental cock up of communication? (Pardon the pun.) 

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Not just turned up, but back up in its proper place in the scoreboard.  Perhaps another example of a monumental cock up of communication? (Pardon the pun.) 

So not only "borrowed" without anybody noticing, It was replaced without anybody noticing...

• Haha 2

It’s a bizarre situation when, for the sake of a few phone calls and a bit of detective work, the rozzers go public on the news and social media sites resulting in the general public getting riled up and indignant only to discover that it hasn’t gone missing at all.  They seem to do that a lot and it’s neither socially nor professionally responsible. 

Edited by Roxanne
To add a bit.
2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It’s a bizarre situation when, for the sake of a few phone calls and a bit of detective work, the rozzers go public on the news and social media sites resulting in the general public getting riled up and indignant only to discover that it hasn’t gone missing at all.  They seem to do that a lot and it’s neither socially nor professionally responsible. 

It's part of Roberts' plan to show increases in crime...:ph34r: