The Great Onchan Commissioners Bye-Election Polling Card Screw-up

Another case of Comedy Gold - it’s hilarious but not hilarious if your a Onchan Ratepayer. Errors on polling cards - does anybody check or proof read? Couldn’t anyone from the printers have perhaps drawn the Commissioners to the problem, and perhaps averted a costly error? 

D2A115AD-D545-4959-824B-F46CB8CB5340.jpeg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quirkio had his chance in the Keys but he ran away and proved useless when the going got tough. He bent the knee to Manx Gas instead of standing up for the consumers and the electorate. Voters won't f

I thought it looked more like a Daily Mail picture of someone who had received an inaccurate bus timetable through the post. 

looks like a football hooligan with an asbo

Posted Images

was it the commissioners who made the error or whoever they got to provide the poll cards?

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Fake news surely? Onchan Commissioners don't make mistakes. Ever.

Correct, it's us that makes the mistakes voting the feckers in

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

was it the commissioners who made the error or whoever they got to provide the poll cards?

It appears to be an error in the Cabinet Office. 

I have one of these cards and on one side it has the full details that would appear for a HoK election i.e. it is headed 'House of Keys Election' and makes reference to 'You may vote for not more that two candidates'.

On the reverse, the details seem to be correct, as it is headed 'Onchan District Commissioners' but also says, 'If undelivered, return to the Cabinet Office'.

So it looks as if the CO are in the firing line here. Either way, gross stupidity and incompetence!

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Another case of Comedy Gold - it’s hilarious but not hilarious if your a Onchan Ratepayer. Errors on polling cards - does anybody check or proof read? Couldn’t anyone from the printers have perhaps drawn the Commissioners to the problem, and perhaps averted a costly error? 

D2A115AD-D545-4959-824B-F46CB8CB5340.jpeg

Sounds like a "Cabinet Office" snafu and according to that tweet the local authority has asked voters to disregard the inaccurate cards. Well, they haven't asked me. Anyway, who should I vote for?

34 minutes ago, Nellie said:

On the reverse, the details seem to be correct, as it is headed 'Onchan District Commissioners' but also says, 'If undelivered, return to the Cabinet Office'.

So it looks as if the CO are in the firing line here. Either way, gross stupidity and incompetence!

The return thing may just be because the Cabinet Office are responsible for electoral registration and so they should be informed if a card is returned because the elector is no longer there, so they can be removed from the register. 

I would have thought that the cards themselves are produced by IOM Post from the electronic electoral roll supplied plus the template for the cards supplied by Onchan.  Of course the PO may have just forgotten to change the template for one side since they last used it for the Douglas South by-election.

1 hour ago, Len Trench said:

Sounds like a "Cabinet Office" snafu and according to that tweet the local authority has asked voters to disregard the inaccurate cards. Well, they haven't asked me. Anyway, who should I vote for?

are there any 3 legged 1 eyed dogs in the constituency ?

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

It appears to be an error in the Cabinet Office. 

I have one of these cards and on one side it has the full details that would appear for a HoK election i.e. it is headed 'House of Keys Election' and makes reference to 'You may vote for not more that two candidates'.

In addition they got my name wrong , can't have everything in life............. I've found😂

:flowers: