Cannabis - Time for a re-think?

I found a surprisingly informative documentary lasting 26 minutes which covers most aspects of this plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXr-5xpQxc4

For anyone wanting an authoritative and definitive guide to this plant there is one. Health Canada which is the Canadian National Health Service updates this regularly. Look at the names of the contributors.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/hc-sc/documents/services/drugs-medication/cannabis/information-medical-practitioners/information-health-care-professionals-cannabis-cannabinoids-eng.pdf

Here is a gateway to simplified information. It is on arthritis.ca which is a Canadian national health charity and cannot is any way be construed  of as being frivolous.

https://arthritis.ca/treatment/medication/medical-cannabis

Amusingly the health service of this island will be completely oblivious to any of this. People continue to suffer.

The legalisation  of this plant is gaining traction around the world. It may well be Federally legal in the US within a year. Then Europe will follow, then the UK, and last of all and without thought or consideration the Isle of Man will rubber stamp legalisation.

The plant should never have been made illegal. If you care to look into this the utter hypocrisy and wrong headedness is readily apparent. The LaGuardia Committee Report – 1944 and The Shafer Commission Report (1972) should be consulted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The dog has a very good union.

If it was available from a licenced outlet I wouldn't have to see my way through 240mg of codeine and 4 grams of paracetamol, plus the occasional arse full of dreadful pharmaceutical anti-inflammatory

Yeah, but it's worth it if you get 1st place in the Andreas Village Hall annual Marrow growing competition. Fair play to you  

Posted Images

Cannabis as a treatment for cancer tumors? Perhaps someone might look into if there is any merit in the research on this subject. Two sources are of note:

1. 1974 Study: Antineoplastic activity of cannabinoids

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1159836/

https://www.cureyourowncancer.org/1974-study-showing-cannabis-kills-cancer-cells-antineoplastic-activity-of-cannabinoids.html

Extract:

1974 STUDY: ANTINEOPLASTIC ACTIVITY OF CANNABINOIDS
A.E. Munson, L.S. Harris, M.A. Friedman, W.L. Dewey, and R.A. Carchman
Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Vol. 55, No. 3, September 1975

Supported by Public Health Service grant DA00490 from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, Health Services & Mental Health Administration; by a grant from the Alexander and Margaret Stewart Trust Fund; and by an institutional grant from the American Cancer Society.

Department of Pharmacology and the MCV/VCU Cancer Center, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University. Richmond, Va. 23298

Abstract:

Lewis lung adenocarcinoma growth was retarded by the oral administration of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol, and cannabinol (CBN), but not cannabidiol (CBD). Animals treated for 10 consecutive days with delta-9-THC, beginning the day after tumor implantation, demonstrated a dose-dependent action of retarded tumor growth. Mice treated for 20 consecutive days with delta-8-THC and CBN had reduced primary tumor size. CBD showed no inhibitory effect on tumor growth at 14, 21, or 28 days. Delta-9-THC, delta-8-THC, and CBN increased the mean survival time (36% at 100 mg/kg, 25% at 200 mg/kg, and 27% at 50 mg/kg;, respectively), whereas CBD did not. Delta-9-THC administered orally daily until death in doses of 50, 100, or 200 mg/kg did not increase the life-spans of (C57BL/6 X DBA/2) F (BDF) mice hosting the L1210 murine leukemia. However, delta-9-THC administered daily for 10 days significantly inhibited Friend leukemia virus-induced splenomegaly by 71% at 200 mg/kg as compared to 90.2% for actinomycin D. Experiments with bone marrow and isolated Lewis lung cells incubated in vitro with delta-8-THC and delta-9-THC showed a dose-dependent (10 -4 10 -7) inhibition (80-20%, respectively) of tritiated thymidine and 14C -uridine uptake into these cells. CBD was active only in high concentrations (10 -4)

2. Fundación CANNA - Cannabis and Cancer

https://www.fundacion-canna.es/en/cannabis-and-cancer

Extract:

By Guillermo Velasco

Associate Professor of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I, University Complutense of Madrid and member of the board of directors of Observatorio Español de Cannabis Medicinal.

Cannabinoids have Antitumour Activity in Animal Cancer Models

Research conducted by various laboratories in the last 15-20 years has shown that marijuana derivatives (and specifically the plant’s main active ingredient, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol or THC) have antitumour activity in animal cancer models. Studies have therefore firmly established that the administration of cannabinoids in these models is able to reduce the growth of tumours in the brain (gliomas), breasts, pancreas, skin (melanoma and skin carcinoma), liver, prostate, etc.

Summary/Conclusions

In summary, there is currently solid evidence indicating that cannabinoids (particularly THC and to a lesser extent CBD) have antitumour activity in animal models. However, until we get data from clinical trials, we cannot determine whether this antitumour activity could be useful for treating cancer in humans. Considering the accumulated experience in the clinical use of cannabinoids for treating other diseases, the low toxicity of these compounds when compared with other anticancer drugs and its usefulness as drugs that can relieve the cancer-associated symptoms and the adverse effects of anticancer therapies, there is a growing number of patients who, given their urgent situation, consider the possibility of including these agents as part of their treatment without waiting for the results of these clinical trials. In these cases and pending the clear regulation of the use of medicinal cannabis, the main recommendations for preventing risks for the patient are as follows: Always consult a physician, if possible with experience in the therapeutic use of cannabinoids (in certain cases, patients associations interested in the use of medicinal cannabis can help with this contact) and employing treatments (such as complementary therapy and not replacing the treatment the patient is currently undergoing) or cannabinoid drugs or extracts of controlled origin that contain known quantities of THC and CBD (it should be emphasized in the latter case that extracts that contain THC are not legal in Spain or in other European countries) so that the most appropriate dosage of these compounds can be prescribed for the patient.

Is this research authoritative? Any comments? Known since 1974. Not an approved treatment. Not legal.

Posted (edited)

I am looking for a copy of the US Government Patent for synthetic THC taken out in the late seventies. May be in the name of Syndros or Marinol(Dronabinol). I read it some time ago. Very illuminating. It is now impossible to find.

Background:

In 1962 THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) is isolated.

US Govermennt patents synthetic THC possibly in the late seventies.

In 1980 the National Cancer Institute (NCI) experiments with Marinol.

In 1981 U.S. Government Sells Marinol Patent to Unimed

In 1985 FDA approves Marinol.

Breadcrumb trail:

NIDA Marijuana Research Findings (1980) Save immediately. Worth reading:
https://archives.drugabuse.gov/sites/default/files/monograph31.pdf

Some background:

https://wayofleaf.com/education/guide-to-marinol-dronabinol

Marinol(Dronabinol) Information from Unimed:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/018651s021lbl.pdf

Dronabinol, the active ingredient in MARINOL® Capsules, is synthetic delta-9-
tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-THC). Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol is also a naturally occurring
component of Cannabis sativa L. (Marijuana).

Care - This is not the patent I am interested in, US Govt 2003 #6630507
CANNABINOIDS AS ANTIOXIDANTS AND NEUROPROTECTANTS

It is very likely that Marinol is on the Doctors lists, and very expensive to the NHS.

Additional - I have not found the original US Government Marinol Patent. I have found the US Government Patent for synthetic THC.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/c1/36/d8/df9537587b02e5/US3734930.pdf

United States Patent #3,734,930 May 22,1973

DIRECT SYNTHESIS OF TRANS-A9 TETRAHYDROCANNABINOL FROM OLEVETOL AND
TRANS-A2.CARENE OXDE

Assignee: The United States of America

Filed: Sept 22, 1971

A one step stereospecific synthesis of Delta9 tetrahydrocannabinol

This is lucrative business for the Big Pharma friends of the US Governement.

Edited by philwebs
Additional Information
Posted (edited)

National Cancer Institute

March 16, 2021

"The potential benefits of medicinal Cannabis for people living with cancer include the following:

Antiemetic effects.
    Appetite stimulation.
    Pain relief.
    Improved sleep."

"This summary will review the role of Cannabis and the cannabinoids in the treatment of people with cancer and disease-related or treatment-related side effects."

Cannabis and Cannabinoids – Health Professional Version

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/hp/cannabis-pdq#_15

Cannabis and Cannabinoids – Patient Version

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/patient/cannabis-pdq

It needs to be emphasised that this report confirms that THC does indeed have powerful anti-tumor properties, despite anything the medical profession and poiticians say. Read carefully, This also references the 1974 study, link is in another post above. Very damning. Save this for your personal files.

Antitumor Effects

One study in mice and rats suggested that cannabinoids may have a protective effect against the development of certain types of tumors.[3] During this 2-year study, groups of mice and rats were given various doses of THC by gavage. A dose-related decrease in the incidence of hepatic adenoma tumors and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) was observed in the mice. Decreased incidences of benign tumors (polyps and adenomas) in other organs (mammary gland, uterus, pituitary, testis, and pancreas) were also noted in the rats. In another study, delta-9-THC, delta-8-THC, and cannabinol were found to inhibit the growth of Lewis lung adenocarcinoma cells in vitro and in vivo.[4] In addition, other tumors have been shown to be sensitive to cannabinoid-induced growth inhibition.[5-8]

Cannabinoids may cause antitumor effects by various mechanisms, including induction of cell death, inhibition of cell growth, and inhibition of tumor angiogenesis invasion and metastasis.[9-12] Two reviews summarize the molecular mechanisms of action of cannabinoids as antitumor agents.[13,14] Cannabinoids appear to kill tumor cells but do not affect their nontransformed counterparts and may even protect them from cell death. For example, these compounds have been shown to induce apoptosis in glioma cells in culture and induce regression of glioma tumors in mice and rats, while they protect normal glial cells of astroglial and oligodendroglial lineages from apoptosis mediated by the CB1 receptor

Edited by philwebs
More information
  • 2 weeks later...

So at a push, how about we legalise cannabis but at the same time triple the penalties for class A drugs (coke, heroin etc).

I don't want any of that shit or the shites that feel they have to take it anywhere near me or my family. Druggie bastards the fuggin' lorra them.

"ahhh . . it's only a wee wrap"

• Like 1

Fine by me.

Personally I think that legal cannabis and some extra support would see the islands heroin issues largely disappear within 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 7:08 PM, Barlow said:

So at a push, how about we legalise cannabis but at the same time triple the penalties for class A drugs (coke, heroin etc).

I don't want any of that shit or the shites that feel they have to take it anywhere near me or my family. Druggie bastards the fuggin' lorra them.

Penalties for dealing yes, penalties for possession/taking no. They don't work.

• Like 1
On 5/29/2021 at 7:08 PM, Barlow said:

Such old tired bollocks.  The drug classification system is part of the problem.  The real issues are societal.  

If alcohol was a class A drug then it would be the most destructive drug on the list.  

Stay away from my family with your half a lager...

• Like 3