Derby Ward by-election

50 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

To be honest they look like the before and after pictures in the slimmer of the year awards. 

Sorry but if you've got nothing useful to say, keep your mouth shut. You're one nasty piece of work. Good on them for spending the time and effort actually going round speaking to voters.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No disrespect to any of the candidates but is anything more utterly pointless than a Douglas Borough Council election ? It's about as important as the weekly raffle at the Legion Club. Meaningful elec

Why is there an assumption that someone who buys a house they don't intend to live in, and then takes the majority of someone else's paycheck to pay off the mortgage is greedy? It's a mystery. 

the hospitality  bill is going to up by the looks of things

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

When did "if you work a full time job you should be able to comfortable afford shelter, food and utilities" become an extreme left wing belief?

There are other options for lowering council house rents, mind. Like cutting council spending in other areas.

Why lower the rents at all  ? They are ridiculously low already.

Just now, Scotty said:

Cheaper rents for counsel house tenants won’t have any effect on house buying. Why would they buy ? Something needs to be done to help those paying double the amount in private rent than they would for a mortgage on the same property.

4 wage earners living in a counsel house paying £400per month verses a single person paying £1000 per month for similar  or smaller premises  is obscene. Means testing has to be brought in very soon.

There definitely needs to be something done about private rents. It's not mutually exclusive with lowering council rents though.

A large percentage of the population aspires to own their own house, including council house tenants.

Just now, HeliX said:

There definitely needs to be something done about private rents. It's not mutually exclusive with lowering council rents though.

A large percentage of the population aspires to own their own house, including council house tenants.

Please tell me why someone paying peanuts in rent and having almost all repairs and upgrades done for nothing ever consider buying their own house

8 minutes ago, HeliX said:

There are other options for lowering council house rents, mind. Like cutting council spending in other areas.

Social housing rent is set by the DOI?

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Please tell me why someone paying peanuts in rent and having almost all repairs and upgrades done for nothing ever consider buying their own house

I'm not a psychologist. "Right to buy" schemes always have tremendous uptake. Presumably the certainty/stability plus sense of accomplishment, I imagine.

7 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Sorry but if you've got nothing useful to say, keep your mouth shut. You're one nasty piece of work. Good on them for spending the time and effort actually going round speaking to voters.

No love lost between myself and TSOS, but he has a sense of humour.

• Confused 1

When little families are cooped up in a apartment, private rental, and paying £800 a month whilst people  with a combined weekly income of more than that are in social housing and  paying about £400 a month

for a house and garden it must be wrong.   The only reason means testing is not happening is no politician is willing to push for it because they are scared of losing votes in the forthcoming election, and they probably would so it is a genuine concern, it would take a retiring politician to be brave enough to take this on and then the others would be too self serving to support them.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

When little families are cooped up in a apartment, private rental, and paying £800 a month whilst people  with a combined weekly income of more than that are in social housing and  paying about £400 a month for a house and garden it must be wrong.   The only reason means testing is not happening is no politician is willing to push for it because they are scared of losing votes in the forthcoming election, and they probably would so it is a genuine concern, it would take a retiring politician to be brave enough to take this on and then the others would be too self serving to support them.

The problem there is the cost of private rent, not social housing.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I'm not a psychologist. "Right to buy" schemes always have tremendous uptake. Presumably the certainty/stability plus sense of accomplishment, I imagine.

I would definitely oppose any “ right to buy “ scheme after us rate payers have upgraded their subsidized houses to the tune of £200,000.  Only to sell them for £40,000. No chance 

Just now, Scotty said:

I would definitely oppose any “ right to buy “ scheme after us rate payers have upgraded their subsidized houses to the tune of £200,000.  Only to sell them for £40,000. No chance 

Be better if they spent it on Government salaries and roundabouts?

If you're lucky enough to be well off enough to subsidise other people's housing that's a strange thing to complain about.