Derby Ward by-election

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Be better if they spent it on Government salaries and roundabouts?

If you're lucky enough to be well off enough to subsidise other people's housing that's a strange thing to complain about.

Not sure of your point there. We own our house and pay very high rates. That keeps the  rent of Counsel houses down. We pay for every single repair needed, unlike those we subsidise. Two very different sides to the coin.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No disrespect to any of the candidates but is anything more utterly pointless than a Douglas Borough Council election ? It's about as important as the weekly raffle at the Legion Club. Meaningful elec

Why is there an assumption that someone who buys a house they don't intend to live in, and then takes the majority of someone else's paycheck to pay off the mortgage is greedy? It's a mystery. 

the hospitality  bill is going to up by the looks of things

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Not sure of your point there. We own our house and pay very high rates. That keeps the  rent of Counsel houses down. We pay for every single repair needed, unlike those we subsidise. Two very different sides to the coin.

So do I, and I consider it a fortunate position given the cost of housing vs the minimum wage & cost of living these days.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Means testing would lower the cost of private renting?

In a way by getting rid of those taking the piss in counsel houses, while enjoying high incomes. Those houses then would be freed up for the people being fleeced in private rentals on lower incomes. The higher earning ex counsel house tenants could  then BUY a property , leavin* the greedy landlords with empty houses.  ( hopefully )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

In a way by getting rid of those taking the piss in counsel houses, while enjoying high incomes. Those houses then would be freed up for the people being fleeced in private rentals on lower incomes. The higher earning ex counsel house tenants could  then BUY a property , leavin* the greedy landlords with empty houses.  ( hopefully )

That'd be nice, but I'd be surprised if it worked. I don't think there are legions of wealthy people in council houses waiting to buy their own houses if we introduced means testing.

Just now, HeliX said:

That'd be nice, but I'd be surprised if it worked. I don't think there are legions of wealthy people in council houses waiting to buy their own houses if we introduced means testing.

They would have to, or pay private rent.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Scotty said:

They would have to, or pay private rent.

But how many are there likely to be on an island this size is more what I'm getting at. I don't think it would have a significant effect on the housing situation. There needs to be more regulation of private rents - the new landlord bill is a start.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

By mocking someone like a schoolyard bully? I don't find that funny. And I've seen the results of that behaviour (by adults). Like I say, got nothing nice to say, don't. 

I wasn’t mocking anyone. I was just pointing out that in that picture they do look like the before and after pictures of some weight loss programme. 

205474EC-521E-43BA-9502-1DD09756A10C.png

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Why is there this inbuilt assumption landlords are greedy?

Similar to this bizarre assumption/obsession that everyone should own a property rather than rent one.

It's odd.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No disrespect to any of the candidates but is anything more utterly pointless than a Douglas Borough Council election ? It's about as important as the weekly raffle at the Legion Club. Meaningful electoral politics in Douglas died of shame a very long time ago. There's been a policy and decision making stalemate for years and the Council has been controlled by a small clique of operators and blowhards. It's more a social club than a council with the biggest argument being over the sandwiches at the next buffet.

National politics isn't much better.     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

No disrespect to any of the candidates but is anything more utterly pointless than a Douglas Borough Council election ? It's about as important as the weekly raffle at the Legion Club. Meaningful electoral politics in Douglas died of shame a very long time ago. There's been a policy and decision making stalemate for years and the Council has been controlled by a small clique of operators and blowhards. It's more a social club than a council with the biggest argument being over the sandwiches at the next buffet.

National politics isn't much better.     

Agree voter turnout was less than 20% so there’s little to cheer about. 

9 hours ago, HeliX said:

The economy in general. Cheaper rents = more people able to spend money in the economy or buy houses.

Amazon and ebay are not good for the local economy...

• Like 1