Me and a few mates have put together a prog rock cover band, playing Genesis, Rush, Floyd, Marillion, Yes, ELP...

Inaugural gig is this coming Saturday night in Bar Logo, Ramsey. Come along. Happy to sign autographs after the show :D

@Declan I’m sure you’d love it. No Queen in the set. Yet!  Here’s an example of the stuff we play. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Any King Crimson?

Not this time, but they’re on the list at some stage in the future. No Dream Theater either - I’d like to but just about all their material is too hard for regular people to play. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That song/video is actually pretty good. Hope it goes well and you do another gig somewhere a little further south, then I'll come, King Crimson or not. 

We will.  Inaugural gig was meant to have been in May in Compton Vaults.  Then lockdown came, CV closed...

What is your preferred King Crimson track? I'll have a listen.

23 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Not this time, but they’re on the list at some stage in the future. No Dream Theater either - I’d like to but just about all their material is too hard for regular people to play. 

It's almost certainly a deficiency on my part, but I could never get into Dream Theatre.  I don't know if it's just that their stuff sounds over-produced (to me), but they always sound like they're a bit too much on the sterile side of prog-rock/metal.  Then again, that might just be a consequence of coming to it from an early-90s metal background where the whole technical/vituoso playing thing was so prevalent that slapping some wilfully exotic time signatures can seem like it's over-egging the pudding a bit. 

But yes, to echo The Teapot's post, nifty video! Sure the gig will go down well.

Edited by VinnieK
2 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

It's almost certainly a deficiency on my part, but I could never get into Dream Theatre.  I don't know if it's just that their stuff sounds over-produced (to me), but they always sound like they're a bit too much on the sterile side of prog-rock/metal.  Then again, that might just be a consequence of coming to it from an early-90s metal background where the whole technical/vituoso playing thing was so prevalent that slapping some wilfully exotic time signatures can seem like it's over-egging the pudding a bit. 

But yes, to echo The Teapot's post, nifty video! Sure the gig will go down well.

You can't even spell Dream Theater!

They are the best band - you just need to find the right way in.  If you like metal, try 'Train of Thought'.  If you want more balladic material, their 'Greatest Hit' vol II will hit the spot.  For a full-on concept album it has to be Scenes from a Memory. 

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

For me, it's Starless. But everyone says that...

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

You can't even spell Dream Theater!

They are the best band - you just need to find the right way in.  If you like metal, try 'Train of Thought'.  If you want more balladic material, their 'Greatest Hit' vol II will hit the spot.  For a full-on concept album it has to be Scenes from a Memory. 

I've tried, but I just can't! When I listen to 'Train of Thought' I think, "hey, that sounds a bit like Death", and then I just wish I was listening to them instead.  On the electronic side, I have a similar relationship with Autechre and Aphex Twin.  I'll listen, because I feel obliged to and will appreciate it, but halfway through I'll invariably think " 'kin 'ell, wish I was listening to a bit of Orbital right around now".

Don't know what it is, but I've just got a block as far as they're concerned. 

It might be the case that when it comes to metal, I'd like experimentation to move away from the already hyper-technical sound into something more visceral, like earlyish Napalm Death or Carcass, or something more theatrically silly like Arcturus's La Masquerade Infernale.

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

We will.  Inaugural gig was meant to have been in May in Compton Vaults.  Then lockdown came, CV closed...

Preferred track? I have no idea. Lots of it is probably incredibly difficult to cover, Larks Tongues in Aspic is a very cool album, the opening track is magnficent, although Easy Money might be easier to attempt. Here's a version of it

I'm right into the THRAK stuff too, big fan of Adrian Belew. Plus there's always Red

And that's without even mentioning In The Court of...