I’ve just read the full transcript of Quayle’s ‘State of the Nation’ address to Tynwald. (Link below if you can stand it). Let’s begin by establishing what it wasn’t. It wasn’t a state of the nation address. It offers no information about, for example, the economy, government strategy, future intentions, or the effect of social policy.

What it actually contains is syrupy, shallow, tepid and trite sentiment designed to show Quayle as the affable, but put-upon ordinary good guy who’s had to deal with 12 months of simply awful misfortune. Despite the manifest defects in content, Quayle isn’t bright enough to pen this sickly tosh by himself. He’s read what some wannabe political scriptwriter civil servant has put under his nose (it has the lamentable leaden feel of Quayle’s tortured English though, so he’s given a steer) and read it out, no doubt believing himself to be on a par with Kennedy.

Our political community and their officials really do think we’ll swallow any old guff don’t they?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58506&headline=State of the nation in full:&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

• Like 5

Nice selection of quotes, not many people can weave Tom Petty,  Ban Ki-moon, Gen McArthur, Helen Keller, Rumsfeld and  Shelley into a speech. 

I did, however, like his inclusion of everyone who has chosen to live here as constituents of the 'Great Manx Public". 

I got half way through the text online and couldn't find anything substantial in the way of facts so I'll get back to the second half when I've got nothing else to do.

• Like 3

I particularly enjoyed one of the opening lines...."Thank for you the opportunity to provide a statement at this time. It has become traditional to make a statement on the anniversary of the elections to the House of Keys."

As far as I know it is a "tradition" that he started...?

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I’ve just read the full transcript of Quayle’s ‘State of the Nation’ address to Tynwald. (Link below if you can stand it). Let’s begin by establishing what it wasn’t. It wasn’t a state of the nation address. It offers no information about, for example, the economy, government strategy, future intentions, or the effect of social policy.

What it actually contains is syrupy, shallow, tepid and trite sentiment designed to show Quayle as the affable, but put-upon ordinary good guy who’s had to deal with 12 months of simply awful misfortune. Despite the manifest defects in content, Quayle isn’t bright enough to pen this sickly tosh by himself. He’s read what some wannabe political scriptwriter civil servant has put under his nose (it has the lamentable leaden feel of Quayle’s tortured English though, so he’s given a steer) and read it out, no doubt believing himself to be on a par with Kennedy.

Our political community and their officials really do think we’ll swallow any old guff don’t they?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58506&headline=State of the nation in full:&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

so he’s given a steer) and read it out, no doubt believing himself to be on a par with Kennedy. 

It turned out more like Trump though on the puke-o-meter, no?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Gladys said:

I did, however, like his inclusion of everyone who has chosen to live here as constituents of the 'Great Manx Public". 

I wish we could have our own clichés.  At least "Great British Public" is a pun of sorts.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

I particularly enjoyed one of the opening lines...."Thank for you the opportunity to provide a statement at this time. It has become traditional to make a statement on the anniversary of the elections to the House of Keys."

Absolutely correct. A quick look through Hansard shows The speeches started October 2017.

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Gladys said:

Nice selection of quotes, not many people can weave Tom Petty,  Ban Ki-moon, Gen McArthur, Helen Keller, Rumsfeld and  Shelley into a speech. 

You just know that they're having bets in the Cabinet Office as to who can shoehorn the most pointless quote from the most unlikely person into Quayle's speeches.  I suppose such quotes are meant to convince the listener that the speaker is well-read and has meditated long on the great thoughts of the wise, but all these make you think is that someone's got a book of quotations.

But inventing something and pretending that it's an old Tynwald tradition, is an old Tynwald tradition.  Bell used to do it all the time.

It turned out more like Trump though on the puke-o-meter, no?

That's a bit unfair...to Trump.  With Trump you always have the feeling that deep down he feels he is completely useless and all his bluster is to reassure himself as much as anyone.  With Quayle the self-satisfaction goes all the way to the bottom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1