Eastern area plan suddenly withdrawn

I think that someone would have researched the efficiency of auto stop/start and if bad, would have made a big fuss in the media???

Ring and pinion now permanently engaged rather the old sprung pinion being 'thrown' into the flywheel!!!  Although they were surprisingly trouble free?

Electronic restarting now much smoother than manual start up?

I'm more worried about Tom Tom maps getting me home from the Pub with all these new houses in the way!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe that this is the revised version but there have been objections from the public and as far as I can see, there has been insufficient time for anyone to review it? People are trying to get th

I agree, the plan should be based on accurate information and data. I did hear that if it were delayed until after the New Year, the plan would be void and need to be re-submitted in its entirety? The

I agree, but I believe that we should be tackling the brownfield sites first before expanding Douglas. Who would want to live here when the capital is a bombsite?

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I think that someone would have researched the efficiency of auto stop/start and if bad, would have made a big fuss in the media???

Ring and pinion now permanently engaged rather the old sprung pinion being 'thrown' into the flywheel!!!  Although they were surprisingly trouble free?

Electronic restarting now much smoother than manual start up?

I'm more worried about Tom Tom maps getting me home from the Pub with all these new houses in the way!!!

Quality last paragraph. 😃

I have a self-charging petrol/electric hybrid. At traffic lights, or waiting in a line of traffic, the engine cuts off after 10 seconds or so and the electric motor takes over when moving off again. As soon as more power is needed the 1.6 petrol engine softly kicks-in again. I'm amazed at this technology as I'm averaging 50.4 mpg, the battery is recharging every time the brakes are applied as well as when driving. It is possible to attain 30 miles or so just on the lithium ion batteries alone and when the batteries reach a low level the petrol engine kicks-in automatically. Its low emissions makes it £40 a year to tax whereas, my 1.6 zetec S fiesta was £180 last year. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, quilp said:

I have a self-charging petrol/electric hybrid. At traffic lights, or waiting in a line of traffic, the engine cuts off after 10 seconds or so and the electric motor takes over when moving off again. As soon as more power is needed the 1.6 petrol engine softly kicks-in again. I'm amazed at this technology as I'm averaging 50.4 mpg, the battery is recharging every time the brakes are applied as well as when driving. It is possible to attain 30 miles or so just on the lithium ion batteries alone and when the batteries reach a low level the petrol engine kicks-in automatically. Its low emissions makes it £40 a year to tax whereas, my 1.6 zetec S fiesta was £180 last year. 

ERAb2_VWsAEXBm5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, quilp said:

Well good for you, but I do have to say that that reads exactly like one of those spam "My friend makes $96 an hour working from home" comments that infect American website comment threads.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well good for you, but I do have to say that that reads exactly like one of those spam "My friend makes $96 an hour working from home" comments that infect American website comment threads.

Really? I thought it was straight forward telling it like it is .

4 hours ago, quilp said:

A much more realistic option than full EV at the moment. Like you say, very clever technology, Toyota have most of the patents and are well advanced with this. The Prius has been around for nearly 25 years.

12 hours ago, tetchtyke said:

Bus fares on the island are very good, it's a quid from here on the edge of Douglas to town with a Go card. You won't get those fares across, even in Blackpool which also still has council-run buses. Frequency could be a bit better, but generally the buses on the island are decent enough. It's seven quid to park in town for a day and the car park is still full. Go figure.

I agree, but it’s finding that tipping point that makes the last line cancel out. But then again, we have seen how much DBC were relying on parking income. Is that the sort of thing that is stopping the IOM taking that brave step towards free public transport?

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I agree, but it’s finding that tipping point that makes the last line cancel out. But then again, we have seen how much DBC were relying on parking income. Is that the sort of thing that is stopping the IOM taking that brave step towards free public transport?

How were DBC relying on parking income? They paid a fee to Government to manage two car parks, the income didn’t cover the fee. It became a cost. They got rid.

30 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

People who won't pay a quid for a bus but will pay seven quid a day for parking aren't the people who would suddenly get the bus if it was free.

I'd definitely agree about service frequencies though, the main routes are very good but the services in some of the estates is poor, Saddlestone and the far end of Onchan especially.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

People who won't pay a quid for a bus but will pay seven quid a day for parking aren't the people who would suddenly get the bus if it was free.

I'd definitely agree about service frequencies though, the main routes are very good but the services in some of the estates is poor, Saddlestone and the far end of Onchan especially.

Yes and if you want a bus from around cronbourne /tromode area you have to via hospital or willaston to get into town which can make it a long journey and bus changes sometimes 

On 11/17/2020 at 7:58 AM, John Wright said:

How were DBC relying on parking income? They paid a fee to Government to manage two car parks, the income didn’t cover the fee. It became a cost. They got rid.

I think net years budget might give an idea of how much reliance there was on that income?

the DOI have to try and make it pay now.

9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I think net years budget might give an idea of how much reliance there was on that income?

the DOI have to try and make it pay now.

They have a running start,, don’t they. Capital cost written off years ago. So just revenue expenses, lighting and “policing” and ticket machine and elevator costs. No rent.