Mental Health - Are we getting better?

@Numbnuts - I have heard about similar problems and issues from many other people who have encountered the mental health services. In fairness I have also talked to some who feel the service they have received was ok. The survey reflects that some people were ok but I am too sure that different questions and analysis could have produced something far more indicative of what the service needs to meet peoples expectations and experiences.. Certainly funding hasn't really been a major problem recently and staff levelness have improved, but there is a wider range of services, more nurses and psychologists, social workers etc, according to the politicians. 

I think it is more about who is doing what and newly recruited staff and recently qualified staff need time to adapt and adopt good practices from skilled leaders. Maybe therein lies the problems that need time to bed in. But lets not be disillusioned by an announcement the services are doing better. I agree with you, things have changed and we don't appear to be addressing the causes such as the ones you mention.

The next few years are going to test the resilience of the mental health services without doubt. We should be asking whether they will be up to it.

Edited by Apple
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t agree.  There were plenty of stressors in my life time Suez Cuba missiles Cyprus Decimation of the North by Thatcher, mass unemployment Miners strikes and riots

It’s just that kind of comment that adds to the huge suicide rate in the young. If you don’t understand then educate yourselves. This isn’t a them and us situation, this is about all of us caring for

Probably edited as it’s not whole service facing collapse but the family & young persons services elements which will have no funding after this year.    you would think we should be puttin

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Apple said:

Certainly funding hasn't really been a major problem recently and staff levelness have improved, but there is a wider range of services, more nurses and psychologists, social workers etc, according to the politicians. 

I think it is more about who is doing what and newly recruited staff and recently qualified staff need time to adapt and adopt good practices from skilled leaders. Maybe therein lies the problems that need time to bed in. But lets not be disillusioned by an announcement the services are doing better. I agree with you, things have changed and we don't appear to be addressing the causes such as the ones you mention.

You make good points and for sure I would hope it is changing for the better . All I would say regardless of funding , and you indicate its better , what are waiting lists like and after referral what time does it take to get an appointment ? That tells the real story. Just over a year ago it was 6 months plus for psychologist and even CBT was a really long wait. CMHN could be up to 3 to 6 months also  which is not acceptable if your in a bad place. I was lucky as I said as my Doctor was brilliant and rattled lots of cages as he knew I wasnt good . And when you did get to see someone with many you always felt they were going through the motions , to be seen to have done something and precribing meds was a aim to deal with the issues as other help was very limited. So I'm not convinced budget is any better but if those waiting times have drastically reduced then alls well and good .  

21 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The only stressors are the MUA, MG and Rates Demands. And the price of shopping, beer and fags. And who's shagging who in the afternoon at No.24.

The covert proceedings at No.25 however are of no concern.

• Confused 1
On 10/23/2020 at 8:49 PM, PaulJ said:

The young could do with bucking up

It’s just that kind of comment that adds to the huge suicide rate in the young. If you don’t understand then educate yourselves. This isn’t a them and us situation, this is about all of us caring for each other. The last thing the world needs is more division. 

• Like 6
On 10/23/2020 at 8:01 PM, Apple said:

Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and now of course the development of Therapeutic Communities is considered the way forward. Of course I still remember the distinctions between inadequate psychopaths (those whose thought process largely determined antisocial behaviour and adequate psychopaths who were able to channel their needs into socially acceptable behaviours usually attributed to successful politicians or to rich business leaders at the top of their game. 

The study of psychopathy though is fascinating as to where it emanates from.

I’m all for helping everyone but with any personality disorder there has to be a huge amount of self awareness in order for any therapy to succeed.  These disordered individuals carry so much shame from childhood that it’s almost impossible for them to effect any kind of change as they are unable to look beyond the masks they create in order to function. I’m not surprised many health professionals are questioning the benefits of this. 

And yes, the whole subject of Cluster B disorders is indeed fascinating and one I have a particular interest in. Fascinating that is, until you find yourself waking up with one.

• Like 1
On 10/23/2020 at 7:31 PM, John Wright said:

5.  I think we have raised expectations with mass media and social media. They may be unrealistic and unachievable. That in itself may give rise to stressors, a recognition by some that they’ll never get there. I know from my interaction with clients at the police station or duty advocate court that few have aims or ambitions or, if they do, the means to achieve them. Very different to wanting to be an engine driver or astronaut, but even then there were very few opportunities for all the ones who dreamed.

I suppose what I’m saying is that it isn’t that there are more stressors, just that they’re more visible and we feel we must do something.

I think this is exactly the issue we have today. 

Yes, we may have lived through these times but we were not subjected to 24 hour news rolling about them. We were not subjected to forums, and social media pages with argument and counter argument. This all has an effect on the human psyche. It’s the reason I gave it all up - for my own mental health. 

The young are subjected to it in all sides. The pressure of education, the need to ‘succeed’, the never feeling good enough. The pressure of looking good, of looking their best, the competition between them all to have the best, to be the best. That has a cumulative effect on the young and now, thanks to smart phones it’s never ending. 

• Like 4

An insightful and astonishingly prescient book that provides a foretelling narrative to where society is today can be found in Christopher Lasch's, 'The Culture of Narcissism' written in 1979. Understanding 'vulnerable' narcissism leads the reader to conclude that Lasch's predictions were years ahead of their time.

christopher-lasch-quote-lbd6s0j.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

It’s just that kind of comment that adds to the huge suicide rate in the young. If you don’t understand then educate yourselves. This isn’t a them and us situation, this is about all of us caring for each other. The last thing the world needs is more division. 

I dont think that him suggesting the young need to buck up is hugely divisive.

He has a point to be fair.  There is a wider issue at play here via social media.  Now that IS a hugely devisive and needs to be taken in hand.

At the same time we have become a very soft world.  You can't say anything to anyone these days or you're bullying them.  It seems like a race to the bottom to me.  It won't be long before wars are settled by hugging each other to death.

7 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I dont think that him suggesting the young need to buck up is hugely divisive.

He has a point to be fair.  There is a wider issue at play here via social media.  Now that IS a hugely devisive and needs to be taken in hand.

At the same time we have become a very soft world.  You can't say anything to anyone these days or you're bullying them.  It seems like a race to the bottom to me.  It won't be long before wars are settled by hugging each other to death.

If people settled wars by hugging there would be far fewer unnecessary deaths and misery

On 10/24/2020 at 12:14 AM, Numbnuts said:

So I'm not convinced budget is any better but if those waiting times have drastically reduced then alls well and good .  

Question for tomorrows House of Keys:

11. The Hon. Member for Douglas South (Mrs Christian) to ask the Minister for Health and Social Care –
How long a person had to wait from a first appointment with their GP to receiving treatment from a mental health professional in each of the last 4 years; and how this compares with waiting times in the United Kingdom?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Apple said:

Question for tomorrows House of Keys:

11. The Hon. Member for Douglas South (Mrs Christian) to ask the Minister for Health and Social Care –
How long a person had to wait from a first appointment with their GP to receiving treatment from a mental health professional in each of the last 4 years; and how this compares with waiting times in the United Kingdom?

This will make interesting reading the answers to this.

• Like 1