Mental Health - Are we getting better?

Apple

6 minutes ago, Flyingfemme said:

Seems like getting on for double the whole UK rate to me (10-11 per 100,000). Maybe the mainland should restrict travel on the grounds that the IOM poses a mental health threat?

No, 12 in a year would be equivalent to 14 per 100,000, which would still be lower than Scotland's rate for example.  But the point is that you can't go on an individual year anyway - I explain this the links.

Edited by Roger Mexico

8 hours ago, Apple said:

Apologies if I broke any protocols but I though this post should be in on this thread as more relevant to the title maybe.

>>>>>Exactly right. Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of how CV has been handled politically the clinical risks have been well and truly hammered home, as well as the other issues you mention. My concerns are for the psychological effects of the messages bring sent out to people and families. Messages of 'don't do this', or 'must do that'  because  'we will die or someone else will' emanating from government will or have created such uncertainty, anxiety and diminished self confidence to the extent that freedoms to mix, play, explore and integrate openly with others is being curtailed. people have been scared witless in some circumstances, whereby others may develop such cynicism and nihilistic views that negativity and depression are unavoidable.

Our services here will not be able to deal with what is coming. DHSC will increasingly depend on 'volunteer' and 'charity' organisations that will have had 5 minutes training and the risk of doing more harm than good and the risks for me are not acceptable.>>>>>>>

But in the greater scheme of things, when compared to Europe, the UK, and the US, by and large our freedoms are not currently being curtailed. The exceptions being those of non-resident family not being permitted to visit (bar compassionate reasons) and the 14 day isolation for returning resident travellers. 

If these two travel-related issues were to be relaxed and resulted in community transmission and going back into some degree of local lockdown, we would be adding significantly to mental health issues as well as further delays and restrictions concerning non-covid healthcare.

That said, I'm all for bringing back the 7 day testing for returnees as mentioned earlier due to the benefits of data gathering with a view towards the ability to make informed near-future policy decisions.

In the meantime, aside from bringing back 7 day testing for data compilation, it would seem sensible to remain at level 4 lest we shoot ourselves in the foot with community transmission and a return to a tighter lockdown.

For the record, my daughter, SiL and GS  would dearly love to have SiL's parents visit for xmas. Unless the sale of their house and their subsequent pending purchase* go through before mid-Dec, they cannot entertain going across and return to isolating 14 days in a too-small house and no garden with a young, boisterous child. Nor do they have room to host isolating family should we go to a form of level 3.

While they are all disappointed that SiL's family will likely have to forgo "their year" to be together as a family at xmas, all concerned feel that the island is in a very fortunate position and are happy to contribute to keeping the freedoms we do currently enjoy. That includes SiL's parents wanting to protect GS's ability to enjoy schooling and social activities as well as his parents' ability to make a living unhindered by lockdown restrictions.

(*currently classed as under offer/subject to contract)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

by and large our freedoms are not currently being curtailed. The exceptions being those of non-resident family not being permitted to visit (bar compassionate reasons) and the 14 day isolation for returning resident travellers. 

I think they are, and the rest of the post seems to support that.

3 hours ago, Zarley said:

going back into some degree of local lockdown, we would be adding significantly to mental health issues as well as further delays and restrictions concerning non-covid healthcare.

..and that may well happen withe more cases, and that is the general anxiety, apart form seeing of the 95 year old from the other thread.

Manx Radio: MHK questions if true scale of 'mental health crisis' is known

It is disgusting that no data has been collected on waiting times for mental health services.

David Ashford did say it was unacceptable, but in an airy sort of way he turned the question into a positive, they have started taking data now. Lessons have been learned maybe, but what about kicking some backsides. 

I simply do not believe that this data is not available. Maybe it is not in the form 'oven ready' for a reply to a Tynwald question say, but the data must certainly be there. It is beyond belief if it is not, although little surprises me when it comes to those involved with the management of Mental Health at Nobles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Manx Radio: MHK questions if true scale of 'mental health crisis' is known

It is disgusting that no data has been collected on waiting times for mental health services.

David Ashford did say it was unacceptable, but in an airy sort of way he turned the question into a positive, they have started taking data now. Lessons have been learned maybe, but what about kicking some backsides. 

I simply do not believe that this data is not available. Maybe it is not in the form 'oven ready' for a reply to a Tynwald question say, but the data must certainly be there. It is beyond belief if it is not, although little surprises me when it comes to those involved with the management of Mental Health at Nobles

Agreed. It seems difficult to believe that they cannot do a retrospective look through when mental health referrals were made and when the person actually entered into therapy or received counselling.

From what Ashford said, the way they're currently tackling the situation, there will be no report published for another 3 to 5 years. Unacceptable.

• Like 1

He said statistics were only started on this in 2017.  The data can be found if it was considered important but of course nothing in the Mental Health services is deemed that urgent. It has been a Cinderaell service for too long despite all the politicians knowing that for fact. Money has been invested over the last few years but so much has been damaged. 

My main concerns now are about how this service is going to be folded into integrated care and what exactly the roles of the Consultant Psychiatrists (who actually should be keeping their own data on referrals and first appointment times like Nobles ) and what role the GP's will have in delivering effective mental health care in the community.  These and other questions about the impact of changes arising from the dismantling of our Health Services are being avoided like a plague by politicians who get briefed privately but have to keep the information out of the public domain.

Some of them need to stop routinely voting in favour of these changes until we know fully what the consequences are going to be. They are in too much of a rush to divest themselves of accountability when patients and families suffer at the hands not of illness, but organisational failures. 

I am personally looking forward to hearing  how many complaints and the type of them (can be anonymised easily now) will be made public using the DATIX system, which is a mechanism designed to protect patients and families when things go wrong by sharing and learning each and every lesson. That is why we bought it. I hope it is fit for purpose.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 7:14 AM, John Wright said:

No, I’m not “always right”. I was just reminding posters who aren’t quite as venerable in age as you, or me, that the current generation don’t have a monopoly of stressor events.

I meant ‘ always Wright ‘. But you are wrong on this one. Anyway , you can always dismiss me as lacking a brain ( you do have previous there ).

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 8:55 PM, Moghrey Mie said:

t seems that this funding is being given to Isle Listen before the Transformation Team decides what sort of health service we are going to have on the island.

To me it is becoming clearer that we are going to have a volunteer / charity based service intermingled with private and some statutory services with a reduced headcount of higher paid health care staff. 

I see the "Peel pilot" for integrated care cost realty £1 million over 3 years according to Hansard. Multiply that by all the other plans to develop them in areas across the island and the costs mount up. South next.

On 11/5/2020 at 9:55 PM, Anyone said:

I meant ‘ always Wright ‘. But you are wrong on this one. Anyway , you can always dismiss me as lacking a brain ( you do have previous there ).

How am I wrong in saying that this generation doesn’t have a monopoly of stressors?

10 hours ago, Apple said:

To me it is becoming clearer that we are going to have a volunteer / charity based service intermingled with private and some statutory services with a reduced headcount of higher paid health care staff. 

I see the "Peel pilot" for integrated care cost realty £1 million over 3 years according to Hansard. Multiply that by all the other plans to develop them in areas across the island and the costs mount up. South next.

Mental health provision is a scandal and needs sorting as a priority as problems will only get worse with families banned from visiting, job losses etc.

police are often called to deal with mental health issues because no availability in health to deal with the unfortunate people 

44 minutes ago, Banker said:

Mental health provision is a scandal and needs sorting as a priority as problems will only get worse with families banned from visiting, job losses etc.

police are often called to deal with mental health issues because no availability in health to deal with the unfortunate people 

It’s easier for the government to criminalise those suffering from mental health problems, and deepen their spiral, than it is for them to provide appropriate medical care and assistance. It’s also probably mistakenly believed in higher circles that it’s cheaper this way too. I understand that the waiting lists to see counsellors or psychiatrists for treatment is currently at around the 18 month timescale.