Mental Health - Are we getting better?

Apple

17 minutes ago, manxst said:

It’s easier for the government to criminalise those suffering from mental health problems, and deepen their spiral, than it is for them to provide appropriate medical care and assistance. It’s also probably mistakenly believed in higher circles that it’s cheaper this way too. I understand that the waiting lists to see counsellors or psychiatrists for treatment is currently at around the 18 month timescale. 

Also the way the media portray those who have mental health problems and get arrested for day alcohol related offenses is a disgrace. Examples are the guy who was drunk at Ramsey bus station who has long history of issues, the mother drunk with child etc etc

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Also the way the media portray those who have mental health problems and get arrested for day alcohol related offenses is a disgrace. Examples are the guy who was drunk at Ramsey bus station who has long history of issues, the mother drunk with child etc etc

Not to mention the guy who repeatedly makes telephone calls to the Emergency Control Room, and has been put into prison multiple times for it. I see he’s in the news today yet again. People like that need help, not incarceration. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

police are often called to deal with mental health issues because no availability in health to deal with the unfortunate people 

There are now 3 mental health care professionals amassable to the police on a call out basis to assist in the assessments of people deemed to be experiencing mental health problems, according to Tynbwald answers from Minister.

1 hour ago, manxst said:

I understand that the waiting lists to see counsellors or psychiatrists for treatment is currently at around the 18 month timescale. 

Unfortunately I hear similar reports but someone posted in another thread about the difficulties in recruiting Psychiatrists. It is not a new matter though. Apparently psychologist access has improved. 

I think the services has made some improvements this year but the transition to Manx Care / Integrated Care will  present considerable problems, many not yet envisaged, as people and families try to navigate round the new pathways and policies that will emanate from the changes. They need to publish referrals pathways, a 'who's who' in the Department, and much more as more pressures arise.

1 hour ago, manxst said:

Not to mention the guy who repeatedly makes telephone calls to the Emergency Control Room, and has been put into prison multiple times for it. I see he’s in the news today yet again. People like that need help, not incarceration. 

Fully agree. But he doesn't appear to want, seek or agree to treatment and isn't sectionable. So what do you do? Iis it acceptable to make someone have treatment by compulsion if what they are doing is social nuisance level. It's a conundrum. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Apple said:

difficulties in recruiting Psychiatrists

Problem is psychiatrists here (particularly those working with probation, prison server and police) is many will need/chose to wear a disguise when leave house. In UK, you live nowhere near your patients patch, and you do not go there shopping.  

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Iis it acceptable to make someone have treatment by compulsion if what they are doing is social nuisance level.

Would not be the first time. Of course though it is unacceptable.

Oh Dear. 

Anyone who spent time listening too the Social Affairs Policy Committee today (two sessions, one this morning and one this afternoon) will like l have heard words from the Minister saying the waiting lists are not safe. It seems they do not have enough information on waiting lists, staffing needs, use of agency staff etc.

The Minister intervened in most of the questions over Kathryn Magson who always followed his lead (she was on computer) and there was a lot of evasion and vagueness in my view. It seems that even with significant changes just round the corner there is 'still much work to do' on more or less everything they were asked to comment on by the Committee.

Summary : in my opinion Magson was not very forthcoming (didn't have many statistics for the Committee) and came across as useless and the Minister sounded like he was trying hard not to admit anything but didn't really know enough even to describe his own Department's Strategies and Policies or who some of the services were being farmed out to.

I had hoped for more positive views from this but unfortunately there was not much to cheer. Stay well.

Edited by Apple

Is it just me, or is the apparently reasonably common desire to compare the stressors / challenges of different periods in time not only completely pointless but probably actively damaging society for everyone, including those who want to illustrate how much tougher things used to be in the past? 

It’s a very odd logic isn’t it? 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

Is it just me, or is the apparently reasonably common desire to compare the stressors / challenges of different periods in time not only completely pointless but probably actively damaging society for everyone, including those who want to illustrate how much tougher things used to be in the past? 

Not sure. I’ve never stood in a 6ft trench wearing a tin helmet whilst someone blasts machine gun fire 4” above my head for 4 years. I imagine it’s more stressful than a lockdown situation. But that’s not doing down how stressful lockdown has been for many. 

15 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

No one is trying to say things were tougher in the past. Just that each generation had stressful events and that the mental health issues they gave rise to  were dealt with differently ( from being completely ignored, to ECT, to long term locking up, to being exhibited with the public paying to stare, to taking them out and shooting them for alleged cowardice ). That we can learn from, and hopefully not go back to.

Im a member of several forums for people who’ve had the same type of leukaemia as me. Lots of them claim facing death and the nasty treatment has given them PTSD. I’ve been stoical. Don’t think it’s had mental health consequences for me. I read what they say. None seem to have a clinical diagnosis. None seem to describe  symptoms across the various areas that would constitute a diagnosis. Anxiety, stress,  depression, yes.

Perhaps one of the differences is an increased desire to be labelled, and internet resources to self diagnose.

Im not denigrating or downplaying what their experience is. It’s real to them. If it is PTSD they aren’t any of them being treated for it, unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Not sure. I’ve never stood in a 6ft trench wearing a tin helmet whilst someone blasts machine gun fire 4” above my head for 4 years. I imagine it’s more stressful than a lockdown situation. But that’s not doing down how stressful lockdown has been for many. 

Plenty of currently serving have, though. Not that I think it's particularly relevant, nor do I think you can compare different stressors because people are also very different.

Something that does appear to be emerging, though, is that in the absence of "real" things to worry about (not enough food, no shelter, imminent mortal danger), brains start to exaggerate other risks/stressors. If I were to take a punt, I'd suggest that's part of the reason for the increase in anxiety and stress disorders in the last 30 odd years. Massively caveating that, obviously, I'm not suggesting mortal danger as a treatment plan. Nor am I suggesting that there aren't huge numbers of people who DO have immediate concerns over food, shelter, and mortality. But I think anecdotally, anyone who's struggled with mental health knows that everything going well is very often a precursor to an episode.

• Like 1