Declaration of candidates of their hopes of being Chief Minister

Thankfully this bill was thrown out by Tynwald today.   Another idea thought up by Daft Daphne.  Apparently when a candidate came to your door or perhaps in one of their interviews on radio or meetings they had to state that they would like to be Chief Minister if they intended to put themselves forward, if they got elected, to the position of Chief Minister.   This was intended to give the voters to give more thought about who to vote for as well as judging if they would make a good MHK also considering if they would make a good Chief Minister.   I have enough to consider with the present set up often it is best of bunch.   I would like to see an all Island vote what does everyone else think ?

I really can not see any benefit in advancing this idea as a compulsory measure. Of course, anyone standing can state their ambitions if they wish. Tinkering around the edges like this would have unintended consequences but I agree that a better method should be considered.

How they do it in other Crown Dependencies I do not know. 

I don't think that she is proposing this as a 'must do' measure, it would have to allow for 'late'' declarations of intent or only to enter the race after the Gen Elect and I'm sure she is aware of this?

Well I was at the meeting at the Legion when the three candidates for CM strutted there stuff . They all were full of ideas but Quayle particularly insistedhow we needed transparency in Government if I rember correcly . We have had anything but tbh but thats par for the course in electioneering and what actually happens when voted in. The CoM setup in my opinion is so wrong and far from Democracy  

• Thanks 1

I was at that meeting too. Quayle even handed out his CM manifesto largely about openness (I still have it somewhere). 

When you think about it, any state that needs to prise and drag information out from it's own government (such as under Freedom of Information) isn't really being open and honest (say trustworthy ?) to the people who put them there. In my view some of the measures to suppress openness here are really, really wide ranging and actually quite dictatorial. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Thankfully this bill was thrown out by Tynwald today.   Another idea thought up by Daft Daphne.  Apparently when a candidate came to your door or perhaps in one of their interviews on radio or meetings they had to state that they would like to be Chief Minister if they intended to put themselves forward, if they got elected, to the position of Chief Minister.   This was intended to give the voters to give more thought about who to vote for as well as judging if they would make a good MHK also considering if they would make a good Chief Minister.   I have enough to consider with the present set up often it is best of bunch.   I would like to see an all Island vote what does everyone else think ?

I think you're a bit of a sexist.

• Sad 1

The position of Chief Minister is a backroom deal anyway. I can't see the public having any influence over the decision any time soon. It was clear at the last election that the public overwhelmingly wanted Alf, but Howard got the nod from the big boys. It's more a business arrangement than an electoral mandate. It's the way things are done.  

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The position of Chief Minister is a backroom deal anyway. I can't see the public having any influence over the decision any time soon. It was clear at the last election that the public overwhelmingly wanted Alf, but Howard got the nod from the big boys. It's more a business arrangement than an electoral mandate. It's the way things are done.  

Absolutely correct. One of the biggest planks in the argument that the electoral/political system here is a stranger to democracy. 

• Like 3

How did the public demonstrate they wanted Alf. If you weren't in Ayre and Michael you couldn't vote for him or express any option at all that could make a difference as to who would be chief minister. Any opinion that the public wanted Alf is just that an opinion and unless we get a vote on chief minister we'll never know who would win a popular vote.

It would be an interim step forward if, after nominations close, the public could compile a list of the candidates they wouldn’t want as CM! (Though I acknowledge the chances of every candidate appearing in said list runs at about 99%).