Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

We all have skin in the game in the fight against coronavirus, and any other such emergencies.

Indeed we do, which is why we are all entitled to express an opinion and criticise decisions.  After all, politicians are not demigods and their duty (transparency, honesty and accountability) is to the population not the other way around. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Banker said:

All EAG including Rachel named, not sure what they all bring 

https://gef.im/2021/05/17/emergency-advisory-group-members-confirmed/

The link from Gef with their Linkedins:

Live at Home CEO Jacqueline Bridson

Steven Christian

Peter Davidson

Professor Peter Edge from Oxford Brookes University

Julie Hotchkiss

John Spellman

Jonathan Wild

Rob Mercer MLC would serve as the Tynwald representative to the EAG.

I think I've got the right Julie Hotchkiss though the only link with the Island I can see is that she did Marine Biology at Liverpool.

Edited to add:  Yes it's that one.  The bios and method of appointment are in the Tynwald Memo.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Thanks 3

It is beggars’ belief as to why DA has been awarded the MBE.

My issue though is that HE has not covered herself with glory either (I am not going into the SPC farce that happened on her watch, which further justifies my opinion that she is not up to the job as a Director of Public Health). It is inconceivable that DA did not discuss with HE all of the medical solutions to the Covid crisis, including Dr Glover’s methods and proposals. It seems to me that HE, being a typical bureaucrat, was afraid to think ‘outside the box’ and was either incapable of comprehending Dr Glover’s ground breaking scientific methodology, or simply opted for a safest possible advice - i.e., follow what the UK are doing. Then, when Dr Glover did not go quietly, ‘they’ decided to go after her.

It is fair to say that a year ago the UK, like the rest of Europe and the USA, were in a state of chaos – the virus was out of control, cases were skyrocketing and people were dying. In this situation genomics would have not been a central part of the UK’s health strategy, mass lockdown measures were the only practical policy. Also, the UK would have been aware, that while these lockdowns were happening, vaccines were ‘on the way’. They took this risk, and fortuitously, that risk paid off, a rare occasion when Bo Jo’s swashbuckling bravado worked. I am not going to regurgitate the point that had been laboured to death on the MF - that other countries saw the situation differently and embraced the genomic opportunities earlier on.

The decision to appoint Dr Glover to the EAG, which was formed 12 months later than it should have been, is nonetheless welcome news. But it is not enough. It seems to me that the much-promised rebuttal to Dr Glover’s allegations has either been withdrawn or been put on the (indefinite) back burner (Probably because the IOMG has very few facts that support its case?) In which case, the IOMG should issue formal apology to Dr Glover.

I also think that it is about time that HE sails into the sunset with either resignation or retirement, whatever is appropriate. As for DA, I agree with sentiments that for his own wellbeing, he should take a career break from politics. Hopefully he will use his time-off to reflect on his performance and ask himself a brutally honest question: “Did I have skills, abilities and aptitude to represent my constituents, let alone to be a Health Minister for the whole country in their time of need?”    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, code99 said:

It is beggars’ belief as to why DA has been awarded the MBE.

My issue though is that HE has not covered herself with glory either (I am not going into the SPC farce that happened on her watch, which further justifies my opinion that she is not up to the job as a Director of Public Health). It is inconceivable that DA did not discuss with HE all of the medical solutions to the Covid crisis, including Dr Glover’s methods and proposals. It seems to me that HE, being a typical bureaucrat, was afraid to think ‘outside the box’ and was either incapable of comprehending Dr Glover’s ground breaking scientific methodology, or simply opted for a safest possible advice - i.e., follow what the UK are doing. Then, when Dr Glover did not go quietly, ‘they’ decided to go after her.

To be fair to Dr Ewart she did demonstrate on todays briefing that she knew the Indian variant was called the Indian variant because it comes from India.

Well, who knew....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

To be fair to Dr Ewart she did demonstrate on todays briefing that she knew the Indian variant was called the Indian variant because it comes from India.

So, if anything, she's over qualified?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

So, if anything, she's over qualified?

It does seem to me her contribution consists of very obvious generalities....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, code99 said:

As for DA, I agree with sentiments that for his own wellbeing, he should take a career break from politics. Hopefully he will use his time-off to reflect on his performance and ask himself a brutally honest question: “Did I have skills, abilities and aptitude to represent my constituents, let alone to be a Health Minister for the whole country in their time of need?”    

That’s about as likely as Hetty not saying ‘That’s absolutely correct Chief Minister’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

That’s about as likely as Hetty not saying ‘That’s absolutely correct Chief Minister’.

Agreed. Poor DA has clearly been out of his intellectual depth.

Re Hetty - If she does not go voluntarily, I hope the next Administration will make that decision for her.

So who nominated these people for the EAG ? What qualities, experience, knowledge and independence do they bring to this specific role, or do they just move in the right business and social circles ? How are they the right fit ? Rachel excepted. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

So who nominated these people for the EAG ? What qualities, experience, knowledge and independence do they bring to this specific role, or do they just move in the right business and social circles ? How are they the right fit ? Rachel excepted. 

Qualities…experience…knowledge and independence! Good grief! Here’s another optimist expecting IOMG to thoughtfully apply logic and reason and then deign to explain the application of those fine characteristics to the residents of the Island that EAG will support. To do so would only be…errr..logical and reasonable. Wouldn’t it?

But then again, your tongue was firmly in your cheek SMUJ, because not for one moment did you expect your frivolous, nay impertinent, questions to actually be addressed by our fine administration.

• Haha 1