Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

(not my view, just wondering what the public consensus is outside MF)

I think you’ll find public consensus continues to think the sun shines out of his arse. He’s extremely good at what he does - mask wearing - not governing.

If ever there was a reason for the GMP not to be able to vote for CM then he is it. These individuals are drawn to power. They manipulate their way to the top and will do anything to stay there. His priority is not and never has been the GMP, his priority is David Ashford and that will never change.

I was pleased when he got his MBE. I thought he’d made a good job of handling the communications side of the pandemic in the early days. I thought he was the calm voice of reason. I was wrong, dangerously wrong. It’s not the first time and it won’t be the last.  The public consensus still thinks he’s a jolly good egg however. He isn’t. He’s rotten to the core. 

Edited by Roxanne
  • Like 12

Actually, I was thinking, what has he actually done?  What decisions has he made which have made a significant positive impact on our covid response?

I agree with Roxanne that in the initial days he was calm,  reassuring and seemed to know his subject, but was he leading the response?

I am not so sure.  However, although I can list the things he has done which have been glaring misjudgements, I cannot think of a single thing he actually did in all this that makes him stand out as the mastermind of our success in covid. 

The letter, the reading out and its subsequent destruction. 

The lack of testing.

The over-engineered vax hubs; sure it was DOI that did the work, but to whose brief, or when the plans came back, why didn't someone say lets just do basic? 

The lack of clarity on Dr G's actual status in the testing lab.

The announcement of a point by point rebuttal and the decision not to make one.

He was also part of the inner sanctum deciding that SP crew were not a sufficient risk to justify vax, decided an EAG was not necessary despite it being the clear will of Tynwald, and making decisions on lock downs, or not. 

Judgement is also reserved on Abbotswood, but that falls squarely in the DHSC portfolio of responsibility and yet a year on we are still no clearer as to what happened.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Actually, I was thinking, what has he actually done?  What decisions has he made which have made a significant positive impact on our covid response?

I agree with Roxanne that in the initial days he was calm,  reassuring and seemed to know his subject, but was he leading the response?

I am not so sure.  However, although I can list the things he has done which have been glaring misjudgements, I cannot think of a single thing he actually did in all this that makes him stand out as the mastermind of our success in covid. 

The letter, the reading out and its subsequent destruction. 

The lack of testing.

The over-engineered vax hubs; sure it was DOI that did the work, but to whose brief, or when the plans came back, why didn't someone say lets just do basic? 

The lack of clarity on Dr G's actual status in the testing lab.

The announcement of a point by point rebuttal and the decision not to make one.

He was also part of the inner sanctum deciding that SP crew were not a sufficient risk to justify vax, decided an EAG was not necessary despite it being the clear will of Tynwald, and making decisions on lock downs, or not. 

Judgement is also reserved on Abbotswood, but that falls squarely in the DHSC portfolio of responsibility and yet a year on we are still no clearer as to what happened.  

Something of a pattern eh?

• Like 5

He really is an incompetent, reprehensible, little man and I don't really think he achieved very much during the crisis.

What I always look for in these individuals is some level of competency and some decent achievements in professional life before entering politics. It's not like that if they are unskilled useless professionals that achieved nothing in the private sector that they are likely to automatically become amazing, skilled, go-getters in political life.

And that still remains the case...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And neither are the people who are most closely involved and affected by those judgements which is unforgivable. They are still living under that potentially destructive cloud. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Apple said:

And neither are the people who are most closely involved and affected by those judgements which is unforgivable. They are still living under that potentially destructive cloud. 

Indeed.  Progress is at an inhumanely glacial pace.  It must be awful for the people who ran Abbotswood but at the time there seemed to be very little in the shape of real guidance issued to care homes and similar facilities.  From personal experience, each care home was left to its own devices to interpret how best to protect their residents. As I recall, measures (closure and opening)  were only implemented for state run facilities and the private sector was left to follow suit as best they could. 

It would be an exercise to prepare a time line of the events in Abbotswood as against the issue of guidance and implementation of care home measures, both state and private.  

D Ashford is not worthy of praise for his actions associated with the covid response, he clearly need's to be led, and HQ was well aware and took advantage imo, he was HQs "bitch" if you watched any of the briefing's it was clear DA would ask CM if he could speak that does not in my eyes give the impression of someone in charge or even capable of making a decision, if the people of N Douglas are easily fooled by DA he will voted back in, although look at the MHK he replaced and he was in the keys for 20+ years and he really done wonders for the GMP although mainly for himself, in fact he was so busy looking after his constituent's that he forgot to pay for his pension!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

Couldn't PAC have done that the first time round?

They had the opportunity as they had Dr G's statement and had Ashy's claim of a point by point rebuttal

Quite. I was equally disappointed by the standard of questioning.

51 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Here's your Government folks telling you that you've no right to know what happens in your name:

Jesus, Joseph and Mary, and the wee donkey!

So, he won't speculate (Minister, you should know), it is his belief (Minister, you should know) and will not divulge the nature of the advice (same source as the adviser that decided there were no grounds for criminal action against SP crew?). 

WTF is going on? 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Jesus, Joseph and Mary, and the wee donkey!

So, he won't speculate (Minister, you should know), it is his belief (Minister, you should know) and will not divulge the nature of the advice (same source as the adviser that decided there were no grounds for criminal action against SP crew?). 

WTF is going on? 

What a disgrace.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

What a disgrace.

It most certainly is.  Also, very evasive on Dr Ranson's non-appearance at the press briefings.  It would seem that the Medical Director of the IOM had nothing to bring. 

Hmm, that tangled web is still tangling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1