Jump to content

Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover


Manx Bean
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

You are aware that the Villa has been owned by the Government since 2000?   And that the refurbishment took place after that?  And that the Government has owned the Gaiety since 1971?

So your best example of the beneficial use of ratepayers money is something that happened two decades ago and that the Corpy didn't do.

Ah I wondered who would be the first to spot that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So the three active cases have been sent for genomics testing. Do we know where this genomics testing facility is based? 

Edited by Roxanne
Spells
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

So the three active cases have been sent for genomics testing. Do we know where this genomics testing facility is based? 

Liverpool as far as I know as has been used for all others 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Liverpool as far as I know as has been used for all others 

Ah. I don’t think I’ve heard Hetty mention samples going for genomic testing before. I was rather hoping we were using a Manx facility.

Results in two weeks then? That was what happened last time there was a bank holiday. A lot can happen in two weeks in a global pandemic. Still, I’m sure they know what they are doing. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2021 at 9:56 AM, joebean said:

Add to that a political system that discourages scrutiny, opposition and clear policy commitments for the public to vote for and you have a recipe for more of the same and mediocrity. Whilst the Island has prospered large despite of our politics, more of the same in a changing global environment is not going to work well.

Agreed.

When even the tiniest slither of criticism is batted away with ‘don’t question me!’ attitude, then inevitably a wedge of failures will slowly but surely creep in and eventually the whole ‘house of cards’ will ultimately collapse in on itself.

People don’t seem to grasp that the condescending ‘’if you don’t like it here – then there is a boat in the morning…” mantra is not just an idiosyncratic feature of the local culture, it is a sad philosophy that has permeated every sphere of public life. Many of our civil servants and our politicians are far too thin-skinned. Some are little more than pampered narcissists who are more concerned about protecting and massaging their egos than they are of serving their nation. They don’t want to be held accountable for anything - time and time again their begrudging admissions of mistakes are turned into the other clichéd catchphrase ‘lessons will be learnt!’ Of course, no lessons will ever be learnt until the GMP wakes up to the fact that the prevailing quip; ‘if you don’t like it, leave!’ is not conducive to fostering talent, it is not encouraging higher standards, it is not building a better future by accepting differences of opinion and thinking outside the box to find better ways forward. Instead, it is a delusional fake comfort-blanket and a recipe for ongoing mediocrity and because of that, failure.  

As for G7 and the changing global political environment around the question of setting a minimum company tax rate, my view is that the impact on this Island’s ‘business model’ will be significant, and effectively dealing with that will require very different calibre of politicians and civil servants than we have today. The current crop have admitted that they are out of their depth – by deciding to leave this as an issue for the next Administration to solve. We will be ‘doomed’ if the next Administration do not do a lot better.       

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, code99 said:

Agreed.

When even the tiniest slither of criticism is batted away with ‘don’t question me!’ attitude, then inevitably a wedge of failures will slowly but surely creep in and eventually the whole ‘house of cards’ will ultimately collapse in on itself.

People don’t seem to grasp that the condescending ‘’if you don’t like it here – then there is a boat in the morning…” mantra is not just an idiosyncratic feature of the local culture, it is a sad philosophy that has permeated every sphere of public life. Many of our civil servants and our politicians are far too thin-skinned. Some are little more than pampered narcissists who are more concerned about protecting and massaging their egos than they are of serving their nation. They don’t want to be held accountable for anything - time and time again their begrudging admissions of mistakes are turned into the other clichéd catchphrase ‘lessons will be learnt!’ Of course, no lessons will ever be learnt until the GMP wakes up to the fact that the prevailing quip; ‘if you don’t like it, leave!’ is not conducive to fostering talent, it is not encouraging higher standards, it is not building a better future by accepting differences of opinion and thinking outside the box to find better ways forward. Instead, it is a delusional fake comfort-blanket and a recipe for ongoing mediocrity and because of that, failure.  

As for G7 and the changing global political environment around the question of setting a minimum company tax rate, my view is that the impact on this Island’s ‘business model’ will be significant, and effectively dealing with that will require very different calibre of politicians and civil servants than we have today. The current crop have admitted that they are out of their depth – by deciding to leave this as an issue for the next Administration to solve. We will be ‘doomed’ if the next Administration do not do a lot better.       

There's a boat in the morning :thumbsup:

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...