Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With respect, you are. Without @rachomics on island PCR testing for covid would not have happened when it did, if at all. Of course, Rizwan Khan and Steve Doyle were vital too - sorry don’t know Dr Sh

Have you never heard the term whistle-blowing? Dr G. tried every avenue and was well aware of what was at risk on her island. She isn't doing this for publicity, she's been offered far better gigs tha

I quite enjoy Manx Forums. There's nothing wrong with a bit of satire.  Happy to defend myself, wherever that may be. I grew up knocking around Willaston so while you may believe that someone wit

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It's a good salary, but exceptional is a bit of an exaggeration 

Yes, I meant exceptional in the context of the IOM CS. To rise to the top of the structure, the promoted person should be able to demonstrate that they possess better than average skills, particularly in leadership, judgement and achieving results. In the case of the two people mentioned earlier, this is clearly not the case. One wonders what criteria were actually applied to these  appointments.

3 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Criteria for appointments within the civil service = He's been here the longest and has a long tongue?

Don't forget the "he's a mate" bit.

If we plebs were the jury of the CS, 'rising thru the ranks', seeking latent talent to promote to the good of the Island, we might miss out on some homegrown talent to compete with imported talent from other juristriction, which is not all it should be?

If we hold a person back, it may result in them not performing as well as they might, at whatever rank???

There may well be some 'dreck' but it is spurious to presume that all CEOs are such?

Edited by Kopek
1 hour ago, Kopek said:

If we plebs were the jury of the CS, 'rising thru the ranks', seeking latent talent to promote to the good of the Island, we might miss out on some homegrown talent to compete with imported talent from other juristriction, which is not all it should be?

If we hold a person back, it may result in them not performing as well as they might, at whatever rank???

There may well be some 'dreck' but it is spurious to presume that all CEOs are such?

The fact that they can rise through the ranks to attain high office without setting foot off the Island is a major problem. It's incestuous, it's corrupt and it's a massive failing of the system. IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Kopek said:

Then why have so many 'imports' failed?

A good question. The last 5 years has clearly shown problems with this.

Could it be that those recruiting are sub consciously displaying bias to 'protect' their own future positions by taking on candidates who will not threaten them so appoint sub standard people 

Or:

Are they just no good at picking the right people. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Banker said:

A salary package of £150k plus is exceptional for a civil servant on our little island!!

We can afford it, according to the DHSC. Two new Directors at £100 + each plus expenses = no problems.

Come one, come all.

20 hours ago, Banker said:

A salary package of £150k plus is exceptional for a civil servant on our little island!!

He's not just a civil servant, he is the most senior civil servant. I'm not bulling him up, he might be useless for all I know, but what I am saying is that it's not an exceptional salary for such a position of seniority. 

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

He's not just a civil servant, he is the most senior civil servant. I'm not bulling him up, he might be useless for all I know, but what I am saying is that it's not an exceptional salary for such a position of seniority. 

It’s exceptionally good for here but Jersey senior civil servant was on £250k but had to resign recently