Minimum State controlled price of Alcohol

Nanny State now looking to interfere. Between Cregeen and no doubt Ashford, how many lives can they save! However Skelly wants the island full of wacky baccy farms. One gives, the other takes.

Its out to consultation and legislation being introduced to the Keys in January 2021. More pub closures? Less Off- Licences ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly people with drink problems or drug problems are never going to stop because of a price rise.   They, or their families will do without all sorts of essential goods or services before they will c

Oh, you mean like the increased road tax here being spent on climate change here and the sugar tax being spent on extra dentists here... ...errrrr... ...bollox more like...spent straight on

This proposal is utterly pointless. I found 1 brand of cider in Shoprite that the Scottish 50p per unit this would even affect. It has no obvious benefit. If they must mess around with things I'd

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Nanny State now looking to interfere. Between Cregeen and no doubt Ashford, how many lives can they save! However Skelly wants the island full of wacky baccy farms. One gives, the other takes.

Its out to consultation and legislation being introduced to the Keys in January 2021. More pub closures? Less Off- Licences ?

Why will there be any pub closures?

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

This will be targeting the cheap stuff sold in off licenses rather than pubs. Scotland have had minimum pricing for a couple years now not quite sure how it's gone

In H&Bs Spar Shops beer and alcoholic drinks are generally expensive. Very little promotions or specials. The Coop is better value but depending where you shop, it’s limited stock. Personally I would rather these idiots would concentrate on the menace of cannabis, cocaine and heroin. The islands population does have an alcohol and drug dependency issue, but doesn’t want to invest in a team to counteract this. So they will ape the Scots and punish those people who do like a bottle of wine - or two - or a couple of cans in the comfort of their own home. Still Alfie will be happy, because there may be additional revenue stream. Perhaps we residents should drink more alcohol and eat more chocolate biscuits so we can have a bigger VAT take. 

57 minutes ago, 2112 said:

In H&Bs Spar Shops beer and alcoholic drinks are generally expensive. Very little promotions or specials. The Coop is better value but depending where you shop, it’s limited stock. Personally I would rather these idiots would concentrate on the menace of cannabis, cocaine and heroin. The islands population does have an alcohol and drug dependency issue, but doesn’t want to invest in a team to counteract this. So they will ape the Scots and punish those people who do like a bottle of wine - or two - or a couple of cans in the comfort of their own home. Still Alfie will be happy, because there may be additional revenue stream. Perhaps we residents should drink more alcohol and eat more chocolate biscuits so we can have a bigger VAT take. 

Yeah the beer I get is 1.50 cheaper in the Co op compared to the spar. 

It will make bugger all difference to 95% or more of the population but might do some good for chronic alcoholics. It has seen some benefit in Scotland I believe. For instance there, the min price for a bottle of wine is around 4.50 to 5, can of cooking lager just under a quid and a 70cl standard bottle of spirits 14.

1 minute ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

It will make bugger all difference to 95% or more of the population but might do some good for chronic alcoholics. It has seen some benefit in Scotland I believe. For instance there, the min price for a bottle of wine is around 4.50 to 5, can of cooking lager just under a quid and a 70cl standard bottle of spirits 14.

I'm neutral-ish. But is there any actual evidence that price stops people who are labelled as alcoholics from drinking more than is good for them?

Just now, pongo said:

I'm neutral-ish. But is there any actual evidence that price stops people who are labelled as alcoholics from drinking more than is good for them?

I think there was some study that said the people it was aimed at had reduced consumption because they had limited money to spend. There's the negative side of that in that for some it might increase petty crime/theft in order to get what they want. Like I say though, this is aimed at the white lighting cider/buckfast type cheap booze. Nothing that will make a difference to most people, apart from maybe the odd special offer needing to be tweaked to stay on the right side of the pricing. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

I think there was some study that said the people it was aimed at had reduced consumption because they had limited money to spend. There's the negative side of that in that for some it might increase petty crime/theft in order to get what they want. Like I say though, this is aimed at the white lighting cider/buckfast type cheap booze. Nothing that will make a difference to most people, apart from maybe the odd special offer needing to be tweaked to stay on the right side of the pricing. 

Are alcoholics poor? Or is this kind of legislation just aimed at punishing alcoholics who also happen to be poor? 

It seems as if the message here is that people who can afford to be alcoholics can carry on.

• Like 4
Just now, pongo said:

Are alcoholics poor? Or is this kind of legislation just aimed at punishing alcoholics who also happen to be poor? 

It seems as if the message here is that people who can afford to be alcoholics can carry on.

Ah, yes, some unconscious bias there. And that's where the legislation is flawed. A lot of problem drinkers are middle aged with high level jobs if you believe the NHS statistics. Can't imagine minimum unit pricing will affect them. Are they expected to be more responsible? Or is that bias creeping in again... The more you think about it the more it seems very one sided and I'll conceived really. I'd never thought about it in as much depth as this. Still not too bothered either way, but surely you also need to invest in proper support networks as well as these sort of measures? 

Remember this is only an enabling act. Whether, like sensible speed limits, our Govt will act on it is doubtful?

There are a lot more sensible drinkers than alcoholics and the latter don't vote!!!

I would rather think that the White Lightning, Yates Sherry days have gone and that most alcys have moved up the pricing ladder even if to 1quid euro beer stubbies and reduced Stoly?