Minimum State controlled price of Alcohol

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

...the menace of cannabis... 

What will be grown here, at least to start with, is Hemp. Smoking hemp will get you no where. A massive headache perhaps, and dry cough from the irritation but certainly no 'high'. It's where the, 'like smoking old rope' originated, I believe, when referring to the Royal Navy's tobacco ration, the ropes on the ship being fashioned from Hemp fibre. Legend has it that the old Jack Tar's would roll it up when the ration ran out. I maybe wrong.

Perhaps look into it, inform yourself and get your facts right before indulging in your hysterical reefer-madness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly people with drink problems or drug problems are never going to stop because of a price rise.   They, or their families will do without all sorts of essential goods or services before they will c

Oh, you mean like the increased road tax here being spent on climate change here and the sugar tax being spent on extra dentists here... ...errrrr... ...bollox more like...spent straight on

This proposal is utterly pointless. I found 1 brand of cider in Shoprite that the Scottish 50p per unit this would even affect. It has no obvious benefit. If they must mess around with things I'd

On MFs wbsite, the Govt, finally, drew the distinction between Hemp Growing and smoking Cannabis!!! Took their time but how many will still  think their toke will get easier? Many.

I'm still dubious about this becoming a core industry for the Island, if it could use 'Layaside Land' and  avoid Govt subsidy, OK but how much could we produce before other areas of England made our production unviable???

Sall sky in the purple pie Man''!!!

10 hours ago, Kopek said:

There are a lot more sensible drinkers than alcoholics and the latter don't vote!!!

There are a lot more functional alcoholics than can't-keep-a-job alcoholics... is probably closer to the truth. And the latter still don't vote. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Kopek said:

On MFs wbsite, the Govt, finally, drew the distinction between Hemp Growing and smoking Cannabis!!! Took their time but how many will still  think their toke will get easier? Many.

I'm still dubious about this becoming a core industry for the Island, if it could use 'Layaside Land' and  avoid Govt subsidy, OK but how much could we produce before other areas of England made our production unviable???

Sall sky in the purple pie Man''!!!

I’m not so sure. I know a hemp farmer here who is all ready to roll and has been for some time and he’s not the only one. There is already a cooperative in place just waiting for the legislation to come through once Mr Skelly gets his socks on. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I’m not so sure. I know a hemp farmer here who is all ready to roll and has been for some time and he’s not the only one. There is already a cooperative in place just waiting for the legislation to come through once Mr Skelly gets his socks on. 

Could be waiting a while longer then.

• Haha 1

Back to the booze (please ;-) ) . . .

So yet another attempt at micro management then. Just because some folks' lives may be improved by changes in their own behavior, that's no reason to impose laws on the general population. This is also 'fiddling whilst Rome burns'; sort the hospital, sort the public finances and public sector pensions funding, sort the DoI and stop messing about with micro-regulation.

As has been said, minimum alcohol pricing would mainly impact the sort of stuff I would prefer not to drink anyway (my choice, others should be free to enjoy). However it could also kill special offers; as has happened in Scotland. It may also ban fun stuff like "It's our 50th anniversary, all pints at 1970 prices for one hour". Edge cases of course, but why should such things be criminalised?

On the plus side, perhaps it could bring about a home brewing and cider making revival and perhaps moonshine stills in the forests of Foxdale.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Yibble said:

Back to the booze (please ;-) ) . . .

So yet another attempt at micro management then. Just because some folks' lives may be improved by changes in their own behavior, that's no reason to impose laws on the general population. This is also 'fiddling whilst Rome burns'; sort the hospital, sort the public finances and public sector pensions funding, sort the DoI and stop messing about with micro-regulation.

If you want to lower the rates of alcohol (and drug) abuse/misuse, my first choice would be to vastly increase mental healthcare funding and availability.

Many people start out over-using alcohol (and/or drugs) trying to self-medicate when stressed, anxious and/or depressed. If better ways of dealing with these mental health problems are not found, it's all too easy to end up physically dependant on drink.

People don't seek to become alcoholic, it's usually the result of a unintended downward spiral. Mental health problems facilitate alcohol/drug misuse, and alcohol/drug misuse exacerbates mental health problems in a vicious cycle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What happened in Scotland is that anyone north of the border who sold carry-out alcohol lost a lot of sales, because masses of people started to go south of the border to shops in Carlisle or wherever.

The English supermarkets south of the Scottish border have seen a large increase in sales, so Scotland has lost out on related tax and profits.

If minimum pricing is brought in here, once we are back to being able to travel across without restriction on our return, the supermarkets in Morecambe and Lancaster will see a surge in alcohol sales. Is this what our Government wants to happen?

17 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

What happened in Scotland is that anyone north of the border who sold carry-out alcohol lost a lot of sales, because masses of people started to go south of the border to shops in Carlisle or wherever.

The English supermarkets south of the Scottish border have seen a large increase in sales, so Scotland has lost out on related tax and profits.

If minimum pricing is brought in here, once we are back to being able to travel across without restriction on our return, the supermarkets in Morecambe and Lancaster will see a surge in alcohol sales. Is this what our Government wants to happen?

It’s hardly the same. And it’s only for those within a limited distance of the border, or who can purchase and purchase vast quantities to make it worthwhile.

You'd have to buy a transit van full to save enough to cover the cost of a steam packet booze cruise to Heysham.

People who are buying the cheapest rot gut beer, cider or spirits this is aimed at are not generally able to afford to buy in such quantities.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

But if you are across with a car anyway, it doesn't cost any extra to stop off at Asda, Sainsbury, etc., and fill the boot. 

That’s a rather different proposition, and the cost and volume won’t be large.

Its a bit like the difference between buying a couple of cases of vino in Calais, or a Luton van load.

Thats going to be interesting come January, when we are down to two bottles again. And I’ve got to admit to filling the car up recently on my return from Spain. But it wasn’t with stuff likely to be affected by minimum pricing.

Alcohol sales down , drug sales up by relatively the same amount in Scotland, info supplied by M R today.....:whatever:  .   The hospitality industry need this silly move like a bullet in the brain, wine by the glass is a ridiculous price now in pubs and restaurants so let us increase it...and discourage people from going out.    Come to the Isle of Man for your holidays, you  will pay a fortune to come  then you can enjoy yourselves in our indifferent restaurants and pay over the odds for drink or dine in our pubs with most of them offering the same menu and pay more than you do for a drink than you do at home...really good publicity.   Put a spin on that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1