Psychiatrists ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jesus wept. I look forward to your next complete flip-flop of political views. Hopefully it's less ridiculous than this one.

It's the bit at the end of that clip I like most. "Will anything change?" "No" "Don't worry about it then." Excellent.   Realistically, people are just people innit. Unless there's some valu

Ask your GP. You may not qualify for an NHS referral under whatever guidelines there are, or aren’t.

Adult diagnosis definitely takes place. I’ve seen it in forensic reports to court for sentencing and in reports for the MHRT.

You may be better looking for a clinical psychologist.

The route to either is through your GP.

There are psychologists and psychiatrists practicing privately on island if the NHS isn’t an available/appropriate route.

Final point, I’m not sure that there is a separate Aspergers diagnosis anymore. It’s all Autism Spectrum and location on spectrum, I think.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Ask your GP. You may not qualify for an NHS referral under whatever guidelines there are, or aren’t.

Adult diagnosis definitely takes place. I’ve seen it in forensic reports to court for sentencing and in reports for the MHRT.

You may be better looking for a clinical psychologist.

The route to either is through your GP.

There are psychologists and psychiatrists practicing privately on island if the NHS isn’t an available/appropriate route.

Final point, I’m not sure that there is a separate Aspergers diagnosis anymore. It’s all Autism Spectrum and location on spectrum, I think.

Thanks for replying.  Unfortunately the waiting list for NHS is about 3 years.   Their psychiatrists are dealing with people who need are in much more need. 

Yes you can still refer to it as aspergers or you can refer to it as autism spectrum disorder (asd). 

3 minutes ago, spanna said:

Thanks for replying.  Unfortunately the waiting list for NHS is about 3 years.   Their psychiatrists are dealing with people who need are in much more need. 

Yes you can still refer to it as aspergers or you can refer to it as autism spectrum disorder (asd). 

Didn’t say you couldn’t refer to it as aspergers. But it’s generally only diagnosed as ASD nowadays.

11 hours ago, John Wright said:

Diagnosis will be ASD, but use term high functioning ASD which is equivalent of Aspergers. Term Aspergers fell out of favor because person Dr Aspergers who originally formalise the developmental disorder was a Nazi who was involved in eugenics.

10 hours ago, spanna said:

It not good situation and I would also in meantime contact 'Autism in Mann' and in particular Carole Williams. Autism is how someones brain is wired (developmental disorder you are born with) and not mental illness (i.e. something you develop) and hence the diagnosis test will need to know the typical social behaviors associated with autism occured in childhood. Issue is autistic type behaviours may develop is adulthood for number of reasons other than autism.

The assessment for autism will comprise a series of questionnaires for person being assessed and the surrounding people. As far as I know they would use Gilliam Autism Rating Scale - Third Edition (GARS-3) With mental health if you get a diagnosis for autism, which in itself will be very helpful, you may not get alot of additional assistence after this.

• Thanks 1

I’ve lost count of the amount of people who’ve told me I’ve got autistic traits in recent years, I’d be tempted to take a test but I don’t feel having a label would make it any easier and I don’t fancy using it as a get out of jail free card either. 

• Like 1
On 11/9/2020 at 9:18 AM, Annoymouse said:

I’ve lost count of the amount of people who’ve told me I’ve got autistic traits in recent years, I’d be tempted to take a test but I don’t feel having a label would make it any easier and I don’t fancy using it as a get out of jail free card either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Annoymouse said:

Yes, I’m fairly sure that’s how I’m perceived by others lol! If the signs are so obvious why do so many people feel the need to comment? a diagnosis doesn’t change anything.

It's the bit at the end of that clip I like most. "Will anything change?" "No" "Don't worry about it then." Excellent.

Realistically, people are just people innit. Unless there's some value to be gained from a label, bollocks to it.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It's the bit at the end of that clip I like most. "Will anything change?" "No" "Don't worry about it then." Excellent.

Realistically, people are just people innit. Unless there's some value to be gained from a label, bollocks to it.

That’s my attitude to it and also towards others. I know a young lad that’s been labelled as having ADHD, Aspergers, Anxiety, Depression and I’m sure there is a personality disorder one in there somewhere too, to actually meet him he actually doesn’t come across as having any ‘issues’, other than he openly discusses things, whereas most people who think they might have an issue just keep their mouth shut and get on with it. Since his new labelled life he does get treated differently though and I very much doubt it helps his anxiety or his depression because people tend to talk about him rather than to him, it’s a double edged sword.

He had a rough childhood, lots of change and he struggled with his emotions, it also took him a long time to mature (probably due to his upbringing), I think perhaps other people are just too quick to judge without knowing the facts and it’s easy to stick a label on.

On 11/8/2020 at 8:21 PM, BenFairfax said:

Diagnosis will be ASD, but use term high functioning ASD which is equivalent of Aspergers. Term Aspergers fell out of favor because person Dr Aspergers who originally formalise the developmental disorder was a Nazi who was involved in eugenics.

It not good situation and I would also in meantime contact 'Autism in Mann' and in particular Carole Williams. Autism is how someones brain is wired (developmental disorder you are born with) and not mental illness (i.e. something you develop) and hence the diagnosis test will need to know the typical social behaviors associated with autism occured in childhood. Issue is autistic type behaviours may develop is adulthood for number of reasons other than autism.

The assessment for autism will comprise a series of questionnaires for person being assessed and the surrounding people. As far as I know they would use Gilliam Autism Rating Scale - Third Edition (GARS-3) With mental health if you get a diagnosis for autism, which in itself will be very helpful, you may not get alot of additional assistence after this.

Thanks that's really helpful.

20 hours ago, Anyone said:

Unfortunately , if you need help in this area you have to pay privately. NHS have neither the funds nor the expertise. Good luck. If you have money you will be fine.

Happy to pay private but finding a private way is where I'm stuck.

1 hour ago, spanna said:

Happy to pay private but finding a private way is where I'm stuck.

Try John Kermode, another person I would really recommend but not sure if they do private work but could ask them (but they always buried in work because in such demand). Doubt the want world to know the do private work and not even sure they can, so have to PM me over this some details and I will pass them on.

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

I know a young lad that’s been labelled as having ADHD, Aspergers, Anxiety, Depression and I’m sure there is a personality disorder one in there somewhere too

Been continuous increase is diagnosis at least in education because teachers have financial incentive to get kids labeled which as much as possible. I even think some schools on Island (will bite my tongue and not name them) would not be financially viable without given percentage kids received various diagnoses to receive additional special needs funding. It all about funding and thresholds, with best interests of child sadly often further down people's priority (just same in UK). 

Do not want to sound pernicious, but with children's psychology/psychiatry the mantra is to describe what would be consider as personality disorder for an adult as a 'developmental disorder'. Idea is long-term prognosis for a child is more likely to improve with intervention.  

[P.S. latest label doing rounds is climate anxiety in 12 months when tick box forms been updated it could be rolled out here] 

Edited by BenFairfax
Typos, added note on Climate anxiety