Jump to content

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, John Wright said:


 

“Karen” is a useful shorthand for that type of irrational behaviour.

Perhaps for you  and perhaps  those who have difficulty in presenting a clear counter argument and resort to name calling in order to delude  themselves into perceiving their imagined superiority .

Perhaps a "mod" could have a word, just saying

:flowers:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a joke. A satire on covid hysteria and comparative risks of bomb disposal vs a virus with an IFR < 1%. I’m sure most people recognise that.   

Can wait for the first FB post along the lines of “I hope these bomb disposal people will be self isolating. Our borders are closed and they could kill someone!” 

Not the best attempt at redaction I have seen

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, paswt said:

Perhaps for you  and perhaps  those who have difficulty in presenting a clear counter argument and resort to name calling in order to delude  themselves into perceiving their imagined superiority .

Perhaps a "mod" could have a word, just saying

:flowers:

Get over yourself. It’s an appropriate descriptive/adjective. If you want to interpret it as pejorative that’s down to you.

It covers all the posters on FB who want a total closed border with no patients, no repatriation, no key workers, no returning travelling residents, for ever and ever. It’s nothing to do with superiority.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It covers all the posters on FB who want a total closed border with no patients, no repatriation, no key workers, no returning travelling residents, for ever and ever. It’s nothing to do with superiority.

It applies to a strident white woman with a particular type of haircut. An I-want-to-see-the-manager type. People who frequently complain about service and authority. In this context that would equally be someone stridently arguing for or against.

It's name calling.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, pongo said:

It applies to a strident white woman with a particular type of haircut. An I-want-to-see-the-manager type. People who frequently complain about service and authority. In this context that would equally be someone stridently arguing for or against.

It's name calling.

You need to check your definition. It’s moved with Covid.
 

As you and paswt are obviously a self obsessed, entitled, strident, complaining, white women, with a chip on your shoulders, and have taken my use of Karen to apply to you, in your twin sets and pearls, I apologise for referring to you, anonymous forum posters, for correctly describing you as a Karens , if that’s what you think I did, and if it’ll shut you up.

  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You need to check your definition. It’s moved with Covid.
 

As you and paswt are obviously a self obsessed, entitled, strident, complaining, white women, with a chip on your shoulders, and have taken my use of Karen to apply to you, in your twin sets and pearls, I apologise for referring to you, anonymous forum posters, for correctly describing you as a Karens , if that’s what you think I did, and if it’ll shut you up.

Touche 

The only people offended by the term Karen, are Karens. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, pongo said:

The troublemakers in the current scenario are the small vocal minority of anti-government whingers here and on social media - our version of the people who in the US argue that Covid is a hoax or nothing serious.

You seem to have an issue with free speech Karen. What is wrong with people who don’t follow the government line expressing any opinion that they want on a forum like this? Nobody has said covid is a hoax from what I have seen in the last six months either. You just make stuff up. Then get offended when people don’t bow to your claimed superior knowledge. Very few are criticizing government either - it’s done a good job but it could have done a much more thorough job and allowed some loosening of restrictions and still been in the same place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Wright said:

You need to check your definition. It’s moved with Covid.

It has. But maybe you haven't been following it.

If you look it up you will discover that the meme applies equally to people on both extremes of the debate around public policy with respect to Covid-19. It certainly doesn't apply to anyone in the sensible wait-and-see middle ground. Those who are neither angry nor complaining.

For example:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/05/coronavirus-karen-memes-reddit-twitter-carolyn-goodman/611104/

Quote

At the beginning of the pandemic, the most popular Karens were toilet-paper hoarders and suburban shoppers berating grocery-store workers. Now the subreddit is focused on a new species of Karen: the type of protester who insists that social distancing should end because she needs a haircut.

 

Quote

“The circumstances of COVID have sharpened the critique,” says Leslie Hahner, a co-author of Make America Meme Again: The Rhetoric of the Alt-Right. Hahner cited an image that showed a white woman with blonde hair pointing a handgun at the camera, with the caption “Open the TJ Maxx.” 

https://www.vox.com/21317728/karen-meaning-meme-racist-coronavirus

Quote

Covid-19’s spread in March has yielded fascinating discourse around what kind of public shaming is justified in the context of the novel coronavirus. For a while, the public was squarely divided about which of the now-dichotomous types of Karens was worse: the people refusing to quarantine or wear masks in public, or the people who officiously reported their neighbors for such bad behavior on sites like the neighborhood watch forum Nextdoor. The Karen meme was re-deployed in all directions.

 

 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You just make stuff up. Then get offended when people don’t bow to your claimed superior knowledge.

I've never got offended here Mr Angry. Not ever.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's difficult calling anyone a Karen in an Island where it's Government policy to imprison people for going to the shops or seeking refuge. It feels wrong to call ordinary people names when the Government is actively whipping up a state of hysteria.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think it's difficult calling anyone a Karen in an Island where it's Government policy to imprison people for going to the shops or seeking refuge. It feels wrong to call ordinary people names when the Government is actively whipping up a state of hysteria.

Karen for Chief Minister! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Wright said:

You need to check your definition. It’s moved with Covid.
 

As you and paswt are obviously a self obsessed, entitled, strident, complaining, white women, with a chip on your shoulders, and have taken my use of Karen to apply to you, in your twin sets and pearls, I apologise for referring to you, anonymous forum posters, for correctly describing you as a Karens , if that’s what you think I did, and if it’ll shut you up.

I understand the definition also includes racist , don't hold back😁, (nice attempt to goad a robust response BTW🤣)

I have declared that I'm male.  just saying :flowers:

I don't have a problem with  a chap  who wants to dress up  in 'twin sets and pearls , what a chap does in the privacy of his own attic is up to him . That said it's not something that appeals to me .

If you read back through this thread you will see that  I have not got involved in the argument on either side ( which would , by your definition preclude me from being a "Karen"🤣).

I just thought that the name calling was a tad childish and was not encouraged on this site .

Way back I was a Public Health Inspector dealing with outbreaks of infectious diseases  ( polio/TB/Typhoid etc) .

 I would hesitate to get involved on either side as frankly I CBA ,and there are so many armchair experts on this site , so just to please you I'll continue to "shut up"and let you carry on putting us all straight .😉

 

 

Edited by paswt
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...