Political media commentator

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Fed by Ramsay........

Ramsay’s analysis of the defects in the CM selection procedure is spot-on.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

Duplicate post removed.

Edited by Uhtred

It's worth pointing out that this anomaly only dates from 2018.  The previous version of the Council of Ministers Act (which some bizarre reason is what comes up first when you google) said:

The Chief Minister shall hold office until — [...] (b) a sitting of Tynwald at which a resolution is passed by the affirmative vote of at least 17 members of Tynwald, voting as one body, that it has no confidence in the Council of Ministers.

So it just needed a simple majority of the 33 members of Tynwald.  When the Act was amended so that only Keys members could vote for the CM, logically this section was altered as well, but rather than a simple majority of the Keys (13) it was altered to:

The Chief Minister shall hold office until — [...] (b) a sitting of the House of Keys at which a resolution is passed by the affirmative vote of at least 16 members of the House of Keys, that it has no confidence in the Council of Ministers.

Apart from anything else this would require that at least one of the 9 CoMin members would have to vote that they had no confidence in themselves.

I doubt Ramsay is doing anything but reporting this - I think it was Peter Edge who first pointed out how ridiculous this situation was.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, hissingsid said:

That Ramsay chap has certainly got daft Daphne on fire, obviously these strategical moves to get noticed before the G.E. are coming from his direction although I doubt he had a hand in the immigrant or goat affairs.

Think they worked together  for years so no surprise there. Alistiar Ramsay is very smart and well ahead of DC. I have always held AR in high regard. 
He would have made a great politician, but maybe one day he may give it a go. Would run rings around most in the house.

Edited by Scotty
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Think they worked together  for years so no surprise there. Alistiar Ramsay is very smart and well ahead of DC. I have always held AR in high regard. 
He would have made a great politician, but maybe one day he may give it a go. Would run rings around most in the house.

He tried but the powers that be decided LegCo needed more women. Including a couple of really useless ones.