New Speed Limits ?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to like a bit too

I’d like my T-shirt back.  And my CD’s. Thanks.     

My sister drives like an absolute lunatic, usually while shaving her beard with an electric razor

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I commute on the Mountain Rd on a daily basis and I don't see many, if any, pensioners driving up there at 30mph. In fact the exact opposite on both counts.

But regardless, a pensioner driving at 30mph isn't committing any offence (unless they're veering into the opposite carriageway). They are making progress and that within the applicable road laws. There is no applicable minimum speed limit.

The dangers therefore arise from those who perceive that said pensioners aren't driving fast enough and are unable to reign in their frustrations to the extent that they engage in unsuitable overtaking manoeuvres, thus endangering not only themselves but all those other road users around them.

So it is not the "pensioner" who is the source of the danger. The source is those who allow their driving judgements to be ruled by their frustrations or their own perceived abilities or invincibilities.

I would bet that precious few of the @ 30 incidents in the past 6 months involved pensioners doing 30mph.

Pretty much everyone who drives over the Mountain will get frustrated at arriving behind a queue of traffic with someone crawling along at a slow pace.

Today will be a great example of that. You will get people up on the Mountain crawling along at 25 in the fog.  Pissing off an enormous amount of people.  Are they breaking the law? No.  But it doesn't make it right or acceptable. 

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Pretty much everyone who drives over the Mountain will get frustrated at arriving behind a queue of traffic with someone crawling along at a slow pace.

Today will be a great example of that. You will get people up on the Mountain crawling along at 25 in the fog.  Pissing off an enormous amount of people.  Are they breaking the law? No.  But it doesn't make it right or acceptable. 

The law dictates what is right or acceptable. That is what we have laws for. Arrived at through often painful experience.

Depending on the extent of the reduced visibility 25mph might be a perfectly necessary, acceptable, and above all, safe speed in the conditions. This morning at 5AM couldn't have been a better example.

A safe driver will tailor their driving to suit the prevailing conditions. As is implied and advised in the Highway Code. Part of that tailoring is acceptance, respect and understanding of those conditions, whether it be weather/environmental or other drivers.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The law dictates what is right or acceptable. That is what we have laws for. Arrived at through often painful experience.

Depending on the extent of the reduced visibility 25mph might be a perfectly necessary, acceptable, and above all, safe speed in the conditions. This morning at 5AM couldn't have been a better example.

A safe driver will tailor their driving to suit the prevailing conditions. As is implied and advised in the Highway Code. Part of that tailoring is acceptance, respect and understanding of those conditions, whether it be weather/environmental or other drivers.

Alternatively, if you can't drive in the fog go the Kirk Michael or Coast Road routes.

Last Sunday (sunny) I was sat behind someone in a Micra doing 15mph up the hill from the Creg to Keppel Gate. You're telling me they're no danger? The week before I sat all the way from Peel behind someone who did a steady 35mph. A steady 35mph on the derestricted bits, a steady 35mph on the 50 bits and, you guessed it, 35 through St John's and Glen Vine too. You're telling me they're also no danger? Hmm.

It's the same when I go south, there's always someone doing a gentle 40mph all the way from Richmond Hill to Ballsalla and then 40 all the way through Ballasalla too.

And you think the most urgent thing is a blanket 50mph speed limit on the mountain? Madness.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Alternatively, if you can't drive in the fog go the Kirk Michael or Coast Road routes.

Show me a law or paragraph in the Highway Code that stipulates that please? The aim of modern transport is to get from A to B and arrive at B safely without having incurred harm or damage to oneself or anybody else. That means driving to the conditions.

Quite clearly from recent factual figures a considerable number of people have a problem with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don’t want to be crude or not PC, but in simple terms men need to have that rush.  

That's ok then. It's just a release of testosterone as someone posted. Now I understand.

Its not like there is any other way to achieve the same results......so lets keep speeding around the place and just soak up all the RTC's. Sorry for those unnescesarily injured or killed in the meantime but it seems a man's got to do what a man's got to do. 

19 minutes ago, Apple said:

That's ok then. It's just a release of testosterone as someone posted. Now I understand.

Its not like there is any other way to achieve the same results......so lets keep speeding around the place and just soak up all the RTC's. Sorry for those unnescesarily injured or killed in the meantime but it seems a man's got to do what a man's got to do. 

Most RTCs are pretty minor in nature.  No one is hurt.  Or others involved.

There has been a fatality this year. In a 50mph limit.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Apple said:

Is that just a massive OTT reaction to what I was saying. ? Did you read what I posted about not driving at a speed or in a manner that would effect other road users ? No. Thought not, but don’t let that get in the way of your misguided insight.

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Sorry to go against you here, but driving in fog is definitely one time when you need to drive slowly. You may be a fantastic driver and you may be getting “ pace notes” read out to you so no problem you think. Then you meet some dumb fuck on your side of the road because he is straddling the white line.

I remember years ago driving back from Ramsey when the fog was so bad you could not see more than one white, dashed line in the centre of the road. I have driven that mountain road hundreds of times but soon got disoriented. It also was very scary as it was so quiet. Never ever had to drive so slow, but even then some prick overtook me. He or she could not have had a clue what was approaching but lived to tell the story as I didn’t come across any wrecked vehicles. Longest ever trip from Ramsey to Douglas. 

3 hours ago, tetchtyke said:

Last Sunday (sunny) I was sat behind someone in a Micra doing 15mph up the hill from the Creg to Keppel Gate. You're telling me they're no danger? The week before I sat all the way from Peel behind someone who did a steady 35mph. A steady 35mph on the derestricted bits, a steady 35mph on the 50 bits and, you guessed it, 35 through St John's and Glen Vine too. You're telling me they're also no danger? Hmm.

It's the same when I go south, there's always someone doing a gentle 40mph all the way from Richmond Hill to Ballsalla and then 40 all the way through Ballasalla too.

And you think the most urgent thing is a blanket 50mph speed limit on the mountain? Madness.

Sorry, but why didn’t you overtake to cars doing 15 mph and 35mph respectively. The problem isn’t the slow car, but the dick who can’t overtake and doesn’t drop back to allow others to pass them both in turn. Some drivers are like sheep, they travel so close together that they can smell the rear of the one in front.

7 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

So, think about it being really really foggy as it was this evening, then look at the highway code. Highway code rule 225 states "be able to pull up well within the distance you can see clearly. This is particularly important on motorways and dual carriageways, as vehicles are travelling faster".

Tootling along at 30 when you can't actually see 3ft in front of the car, or the road beyond about a foot in front of your bumper isn't exactly unreasonable. It was probably some of the worst visibility I've seen, or not seen up there tonight.

• Like 2