New Speed Limits ?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to like a bit too

I’d like my T-shirt back.  And my CD’s. Thanks.     

My sister drives like an absolute lunatic, usually while shaving her beard with an electric razor

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Apple said:

The sooner we get 20 mph in the valleys and 40 max elsewhere, all supported by speed cameras, the better.

One of our neighbours considering a camera on their house to record speeding traffic  deter burglars. Seems plausible. 

How about you move to England then, where they already do that? Driving in the UK is terrible. Speed camera signs everywhere and you end up looking more for them and on your speedo than on the road. All in the interest of revenue generation of course. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, emesde said:

The 40 limit on KE Road has been in place since 1997.

I should have known to Google first before replying really, it found the approved order from Tynwald at pretty much the top of the search!

Not sure why but I had it in mind that the section from Liverpool Arms to about 300 yards before that horrible sharp corner was 50mph, it certainly doesn’t feel like 23 years ago!

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Went through early afternoon and I did not see any new signs. ( if fact , the sign going up the Whitebridge was definitely NOT a 50 mph sign, as I deliberately drove at 40 to the annoyance of the tailgater behind me. I then booted it a bit at the derestriction sign ) Got to the LA straight and there was a warning triangle on the road, then only near the LA was there any work being done, with a gully sucker in the road and a mass of flashing lights on a motorway style trailer. On the way back to town, the road was totally clear yet the new signs were up.

I'm not massively in favour of overly intensive speed limits but that straight to Liverpool Arms from Onchan probably needs one now.  For no other reason that how busy the Fun Barn and associated businesses are there.

• Like 1

I think sometimes people forget exactly why we have speed limits - to make is safer for everyone surely.

Why is it regarded as a form of penalising those motorists who want to get around faster. It's bad enough at the moment with 'white vans' zooming around our villages (yes, not valleys) from early morning. 

A lot of vehicles are faster, heavier and larger than ever before but some our roads are currently not able to sufficiently cope. But I accept it is not only the vehicles, it is some of the idiot drivers who think even the current speed limits do not in ant way shape or form apply to them.

Speed camera and double the fines. And get the public on side like they did with drink driving.

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

straight to Liverpool Arms from Onchan probably needs one now.  For no other reason that how busy the Fun Barn and associated businesses are there.

Have there been many accidents there?

I imagine there have been many more on the derestricted mountain road which you seem to favour driving fast on

Edited by ellanvannin2010
44 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Have there been many accidents there?

I imagine there have been many more on the derestricted mountain road which you seem to favour driving fast on

I think there has been one or two collisions there but it does feel like a place for accident.

Most of the accidents on the Mountain are down to poor driving and lack of concentration.  Not speed.  

Nothing wrong with driving what you might deem to be fast over the Mountain in the right car and conditions. 

2 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Well yeh. You probably have.

Most of the accidents on the Mountain are not at high speed.  They are largely concentration errors and judgement errors.

The argument about a speed limit up there is largely a flawed one.

It would be an ideal place for average speed cameras, rather like the similar Cat and Fiddle Route in Derbyshire

• Like 1