New Speed Limits ?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to like a bit too

I’d like my T-shirt back.  And my CD’s. Thanks.     

My sister drives like an absolute lunatic, usually while shaving her beard with an electric razor

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Just been past it, you beat me to it Teapot :flowers:

Just to add: over the weekend of 25/26 October, the portable Matrix signs were deployed to Tower Bends and Creg-ny-Baa with the message "6 months, 25 RTCs - Slow Down". They're still displaying it, incidentally. That 6 months oddly by-and-large coincides with the lifting of the lockdown speed limit but that's another matter.

By the end of that weekend alone the information was out of date. There had been a further RTI at the Gooseneck and another car on its roof at Brandywell. Last week there was another RTI on the Verandah, allegedly on ice (the strange sort that forms in temperatures well above freezing). And so it goes on.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Just to add: over the weekend of 25/26 October, the portable Matrix signs were deployed to Tower Bends and Creg-ny-Baa with the message "6 months, 25 RTCs - Slow Down". 

No they weren't and in fact aren't.

The message is "6 months, 25 RTC's - Slow Down".

I for one have been speeding up. The superfluous apostrophe means I simply can't take the warning seriously.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Well I suppose if you averaged 60 rather than 30 you would save about 7 minutes.    That's worth saving.

4 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Not at all. It's just silly.

19 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

They should really use the word " concentrate" rather than slow down.

One of the reasons that I tried to get you to answer a simple time Time/Distance/Speed question is that every single professional person that I know who is engaged in that process - Race drivers, Professional Hauliers, Airline pilots, Ship Captains & Navigators etc. - can and does conduct that metal arithmetic in parallel with the actual job of pilotage.

Average speed, fuel range, TTG, CTS, wind and tide offsets, they are just a routine (even mundane) part of the job but vital for any associated calculation including risk/benefit.

On the one hand you claim superior driving skills and the need only to be told to 'concentrate' rather than 'slow down' - but when questioned, you claim that driving for 11 miles at 60mph will save 7 mins over driving the same distance at 30 mph.

I remain somewhat unconvinced as to your superior driving ability, sorry. I suspect, given that you asked one poster if he would have driven faster had he been younger, then you might well fall into the category of 'Boy Racer'.

1 minute ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

One of the reasons that I tried to get you to answer a simple time Time/Distance/Speed question is that every single professional person that I know who is engaged in that process - Race drivers, Professional Hauliers, Airline pilots, Ship Captains & Navigators etc. - can and does conduct that metal arithmetic in parallel with the actual job of pilotage.

Average speed, fuel range, TTG, CTS, wind and tide offsets, they are just a routine (even mundane) part of the job but vital for any associated calculation including risk/benefit.

On the one hand you claim superior driving skills and the need only to be told to 'concentrate' rather than 'slow down' - but when questioned, you claim that driving for 11 miles at 60mph will save 7 mins over driving the same distance at 30 mph.

I remain somewhat unconvinced as to your superior driving ability, sorry. I suspect, given that you asked one poster if he would have driven faster had he been younger, then you might well fall into the category of 'Boy Racer'.

I was estimating 14 miles.

That said, I would expect to be able to get over there close to 7 minutes quicker than plodding along at 30 all the way.

Also, I didnt ask would Scotty have driven faster, I actually asked if his comments/views in his post would have been the same 20 or 30 years ago.  He said no.

As for my driving ability, it's plenty good enough thanks.  I'm perfectly able to assess risk, makes decisions (and work out the benefits to me) and control a car.  I'm no boy racer either.  Although I'll readily admit there was a time I most definitely would have fallen into that category.

I appreciate that might not be what you want to hear.

6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I was estimating 14 miles.

That said, I would expect to be able to get over there close to 7 minutes quicker than plodding along at 30 all the way.

Also, I didnt ask would Scotty have driven faster, I actually asked if his comments/views in his post would have been the same 20 or 30 years ago.  He said no.

As for my driving ability, it's plenty good enough thanks.  I'm perfectly able to assess risk, makes decisions (and work out the benefits to me) and control a car.  I'm no boy racer either.  Although I'll readily admit there was a time I most definitely would have fallen into that category.

I appreciate that might not be what you want to hear.

Why therefore, will you not engage in the risk/benefit discussion?

The major reductions in speed limits is been actively discussed at the highest levels now, but rather than offer a considered defence of your position, you simply dismiss the question. I which case, get ready for much reduced speed limits. 

6 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Why therefore, will you not engage in the risk/benefit discussion?

The major reductions in speed limits is been actively discussed at the highest levels now, but rather than offer a considered defence of your position, you simply dismiss the question. I which case, get ready for much reduced speed limits. 

I don't see huge speeds as the major issue or cause of accidents on the Mountain Road.  

I sometimes wonder how some people leave the house these days. It seems risk is everywhere.

In reality most of the angst is driven by pensioners.  Who actually cause a lot of the issue up there driving at 30.

• Like 2

Get those average speed cameras up there, set them for 50mph, that will make lots concentrate trying to stay under the limit and if nearly all drive at that speed you will probably get to your destination quicker than you do now.

Those that consistently speed will soon lose their licence just as those that drink and drive do

You remind me a bit of Reginald Molehusband DDB:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I don't see huge speeds as the major issue or cause of accidents on the Mountain Road.  

I sometimes wonder how some people leave the house these days. It seems risk is everywhere.

In reality most of the angst is driven by pensioners.  Who actually cause a lot of the issue up there driving at 30.

As a (nearly) pensioner, I don't go over the mountain very often and when I do it's usually a 50-60mph bimble in in a Toyota Hilux. If it's nice day it might be the roof down on the Merc 5.5 V8 AMG. If I need more, then it's the Ducati X Diavel S with the Testastretta DVT 1262cc, 0-60 2.5, 10.4 secs Quarter mile. I can 'make progress' when required I assure you.

Nigel Mansell is 67, Jackie Stewart is 81, I don't envisage either of them getting 'angsty' trying to keep up with you! - The old people are very bit as entitled to be on the mountain road as you are.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

As a (nearly) pensioner, I don't go over the mountain very often and when I do it's usually a 50-60mph bimble in in a Toyota Hilux. If it's nice day it might be the roof down on the Merc 5.5 V8 AMG. If I need more, then it's the Ducati X Diavel S with the Testastretta DVT 1262cc, 0-60 2.5, 10.4 secs Quarter mile. I can 'make progress' when required I assure you.

Nigel Mansell is 67, Jackie Stewart is 81, I don't envisage either of them getting 'angsty' trying to keep up with you! - The old people are very bit as entitled to be on the mountain road as you are.

Lol. Sure.

I commute on the Mountain Rd on a daily basis and I don't see many, if any, pensioners driving up there at 30mph. In fact the exact opposite on both counts.

But regardless, a pensioner driving at 30mph isn't committing any offence (unless they're veering into the opposite carriageway). They are making progress and that within the applicable road laws. There is no applicable minimum speed limit.

The dangers therefore arise from those who perceive that said pensioners aren't driving fast enough and are unable to reign in their frustrations to the extent that they engage in unsuitable overtaking manoeuvres, thus endangering not only themselves but all those other road users around them.

So it is not the "pensioner" who is the source of the danger. The source is those who allow their driving judgements to be ruled by their frustrations or their own perceived abilities or invincibilities.

I would bet that precious few of the @ 30 incidents in the past 6 months involved pensioners doing 30mph.

• Like 2