Jump to content

MHK wants to encourage women (and others) into politics


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the point I wanted to make was that it's not just that he's trying to keep his skills up for his own benefit or interest (as what you said might have been read as), but that he would actually lose his legal right to practice as a GP if he didn't - and there's a shortage as it is.  Those who seem to think that he's only doing it for a bit of extra pocket money don't seem to get that.

So even more so begs the question, why go into politics, if medicine is so important? Two bites of the cherry is all I see, as he can’t change anything in Government. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I think a few women in Comin would be beneficial and more representative of population and may improve some of the crap policies being put forward 

There's nothing stopping women standing already, so clearly most don't want a career in politics. Maybe they don't want to ask for votes, maybe they don't have any policies, maybe the thought of earni

I really couldn't care less what gender they are or indeed what colour or etc etc they are. It would just help to have some decent candidates to vote for, instead of the usual tribe of dribbling idiot

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:

So even more so begs the question, why go into politics, if medicine is so important? Two bites of the cherry is all I see, as he can’t change anything in Government. 

To be fair he did get the abortion bill through.

One of the few things that an MHK has done this term without it coming from the CS.

Think about that for a moment.......

What have any other MHKs actually done law wise in this parliament?

I honestly cant think of anything else that has not been something that has come from the departments and civil service, that stinks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

To be fair he did get the abortion bill through.

One of the few things that an MHK has done this term without it coming from the CS.

Think about that for a moment.......

What have any other MHKs actually done law wise in this parliament?

I honestly cant think of anything else that has not been something that has come from the departments and civil service, that stinks.

What indeed do any of them do ? This government is a total embarrassment and this should not be forgotten.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, finlo said:

We say this every 5 years!

The answers are in our own hands, and I don't just mean at election time. We can demand the attention, their consideration each and every week, by going to Tynwald, emails and letter. By social media - yes, they hate it because it we 'warrior's can challenge, criticise and scrutinise just like on here.

Makes me laugh when they criticise keyboard warriors. If they provided more explanation, improved communications and made themselves more accessible, they could engage easier and more openly with the electorate.

Where can you get a hansard type transcript for Douglas council meetings?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 8:20 PM, Roger Mexico said:

But the point I wanted to make was that it's not just that he's trying to keep his skills up for his own benefit or interest (as what you said might have been read as), but that he would actually lose his legal right to practice as a GP if he didn't - and there's a shortage as it is.  Those who seem to think that he's only doing it for a bit of extra pocket money don't seem to get that.

The post in which I said "hold on to his ability to [be a doctor]" you felt didn't make it clear enough?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not jus about Allinson though is it. Actually he has performed well in the Tynwald and make a lot of sense with his quality communication skills. 

Unfortunately some of the others do not come anywhere near him. But they should.

Going from a doorstep candidate promising all sorts to being in charge of a multi million £ project or Department is too big a leap for some of the people on offer at the next GE. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apple said:

Its not jus about Allinson though is it. Actually he has performed well in the Tynwald and make a lot of sense with his quality communication skills. 

Unfortunately some of the others do not come anywhere near him. But they should.

Going from a doorstep candidate promising all sorts to being in charge of a multi million £ project or Department is too big a leap for some of the people on offer at the next GE. 

 

 

I think Allison slow delievery comes across as pompous and arrogant.

Especially when you know what he is saying complete tripe.

Even when he has apologised, it always sounds conceited.

I mean take the teachers disputed, you get the feeling he would have like to say

" We sent you for a second opinion and even though I totally disagree with it,

we are going to operate. "

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 9:12 PM, finlo said:

We say this every 5 years!

But we aren’t necessarily wrong.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Holte End said:

I think Allison slow delievery comes across as pompous and arrogant.

Especially when you know what he is saying complete tripe.

Even when he has apologised, it always sounds conceited.

I mean take the teachers disputed, you get the feeling he would have like to say

" We sent you for a second opinion and even though I totally disagree with it,

we are going to operate. "

Look who is talking complete tripe now!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 6:48 PM, Scotty said:

Which only makes then part time politicians on almost £70,000.

 

On 11/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, Scotty said:

Does not make it right though. Makes the massive salary MHKs get now even worse.

That's part of the issue. £70k is not a massive salary to a bright, engaged, intelligent individual.

Why would you put up with all the public scrutiny and whinging that comes with being an MHK, when you can earn twice to three times that in the private sector? 

How much do partners in accountancy and law firms take home? How much CEO's of life assurance companies? How much VP's of gaming companies? Doctors? CEO's of Gov't departments? Statutory Bodies? IOMSPC CEO?

All more than £70k for sure.

Edited by b4mbi
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, b4mbi said:

Why would you put up with all the public scrutiny and whinging that comes with being an MHK, when you can earn twice to three times that in the private sector? 

Now that is a very interesting question. Why do they do it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Apple said:

Going from a doorstep candidate promising all sorts to being in charge of

.....but that's the Isle of Man for you, isn't it?

If Joe Bloggs turns up on your doorstep saying, ' vote for me', I'll be good, you kind of dismiss them but if Doc Smith says the same, you think, Oh! He's a Doctor, he must be good?

Fact is, neither they nor the voter know what they will be like until their performance in Tynwald can be judged!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...