Self-governing?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fussy eaters and ready meal people had best watch out for vegetables too. They're often fed on manure. And definitely avoid pork.

Really, if our government had any sense, they'd take much stricter control of our waters, extend protected zones, put others on a rolling protection, ban larger vessels completely, completely revoluti

Fear not. We have Jethro Boot to fight our case, he'll take no shit. The mans an absolute maverick yes sirree.

12 hours ago, asitis said:

Autonomy ........ Jesus Christ they couldn't run a whelk stall !!

Fuck off...that’s my line!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 10/23/2020 at 12:50 PM, piebaps said:

If of course that any evidence emerges that "herd immunity" is actually a thing.

Saw an interesting report a few days ago that the Scallops off Laxey have much greater mortality due to weaker shells.  Related to the mineral pollution run-off from the mines. 

• Thanks 1
On 11/14/2020 at 10:23 AM, Boo Gay'n said:

Tynwald members love to go on about our autonomy, but we should all remember that it is an illusion.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-guernsey-54930022

I have little faith in Tynpotwald members, each as useless as one another, all to eager to take HRHs shilling and suck up to IOMNP Facebook readers, and constantly loooing over their shoulder so as no to upset their core base - grannies, single mothers and job seekers etc. 

It’s even laughable the rants of Barmy Bernie the Celtic League dinosaur and his followers. As if Boris and Co in Westminster are going to take a blind bit of notice of the Offshores. We are all talk! Waffle and Hot Air!

We have been shafted on the beneficial ownership register so taking away terrortorial fishing/rights isn’t going to make a slightest bit of difference. HRH The Chief Minister won’t rock the boat whilst we get VAT revenue sharing agreements. We would be better off going back to the old days of dirty money/no questions asked deposits, and easy to set up companies - other jurisdictions do it and they survive. 

55 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Saw an interesting report a few days ago that the Scallops off Laxey have much greater mortality due to weaker shells.  Related to the mineral pollution run-off from the mines. 

Yes, I read that too. But rather interestingly the samples affected were collected on the east coast? If it was on the west coast I could understand that with leaching from Foxdale into Peel harbour??

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Yes, I read that too. But rather interestingly the samples affected were collected on the east coast? If it was on the west coast I could understand that with leaching from Foxdale into Peel harbour??

If you look at the start of Laxey river, just below the Bungalow on the Mountain Road, you will see acres of dead ground. Its like a grey powder/ small grit and nothing grows on it. I would imagine a lot of rain that falls on it filters through and ends up in the river. Cant be good stuff if nature has still not grown over it. Very toxic in fact given the time since the mining stopped.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Historic pollution by lead, zinc and copper from the Laxey Mines, even though they closed over 100 years ago.  The link is to the press release from University of York who did the research.  It seems to be fairly limited in the area affected and the level of pollution is low enough to make the seafood safe to eat.  The interesting thing is the effect it has even at such a low level and the persistence after so long.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Typo
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I would have thought that Laxey (and Snaefell) mines were bigger than Foxdale?

Lots more ye olde infrastructure in Laxey anyway.  The river ran straight through both Snaefell and Laxey mining and processing areas.  Plus that big red wheel suggests there could have been quite a lot of water/flooding of the mines.  Not many remnants in Foxdale are there?  

• Like 1

Speaking to one fisherman the other day they were showing quite a bit of concern as they were catching there scallop quota in a handful of hours, yet some non Manx vessels with more fishing gear spread were still fishing late into the afternoon then sailing away to land ? unless they were towing around with there gear upside down this can only point to overfishing once again while those landing in IOM seem to be playing by the rules, where were the checks by our fisheries officers.