Sir Miles Walker

I see that Sir Miles Walker was 80 two days ago. Still the best Chief Minister we’ve had. Lifted the Island out a social policy quagmire, fought hard to do so and was vilified by nasty bastards for doing it. And a gentleman too. I hope he had a happy birthday and has many more.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

He was a decent person and better Chief Minister, hence the knighthood. Unfortunately the last few CMs including the current will be lucky to get beyond a CBE (which Allan Bell received). Even El Presidente received a OBE but he isn’t in the same league.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Uhtred said:

I see that Sir Miles Walker was 80 two days ago. Still the best Chief Minister we’ve had. Lifted the Island out a social policy quagmire, fought hard to do so and was vilified by nasty bastards for doing it. And a gentleman too. I hope he had a happy birthday and has many more.

A class act, which is more than you could say for any of his successors.  Also the only one to serve two full terms - though Gelling got dragged back to rescue the situation after Corkill's 'problems' and did a few extra years.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

... Gelling got dragged back to rescue the situation after Corkill's 'problems' and did a few extra years.  

Gelling spoke of preferring to deal with the problems of success rather than the problems of failure.

When the government of a country of 85,000 people are getting an extra £1million each working day in (miscalculated?) VAT receipts for a few years, he wasn't far wrong. Fuck, where do you stash all that cash? What do you do with it? (rhetorical question, we know what they do with much of it)

Edited by Barlow
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, 2112 said:

He was a decent person and better Chief Minister, hence the knighthood. Unfortunately the last few CMs including the current will be lucky to get beyond a CBE (which Allan Bell received). Even El Presidente received a OBE but he isn’t in the same league.

Rodan isn’t fit to lace Miles Walker’s boots.

• Like 1